Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help Deciding Which Machine Please...
Arrow 
Need Help Deciding Which Machine Please...
Hi everybody,

I am using a loaner unit for the start of my second week as a cpap sleeper. I was started at 7 but they changed it to 8 today after looking at my 1st week's feedback. When I did the initial sleep study they said I have 37 events per hour.

I am wondering which combination of machine and software I should go with?

I am not impressed with the professionalism at the local hospital run clinic/store so thank Gord there is this site. I am pretty good with computers and would like to learn be able to manage myself as much as possible.

I am in Ontario Canada, and I can get some of the costs covered by the govt if the vendor is on their list of approved merchants.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help Deciding Which Machine Please...
G'day Player, welcome to Apnea Board.

We don't have a lot of detail to go on, but a safe bet is generally to buy an autoset machine from either Resmed or Philips Respironics, the two dominant forces in CPAP. There are a lot of other machine makes on the market, but Resmed and Philips are by far the most common. The autosets allow pressure variation during the night to treat your apneas at the lowest average pressure. They tend to be more effective and more comfortable for most people. Because they are auto-titrating, it's a bit like having a mini sleep test every night. They can also be used at a constant pressure if required.

Beware that not all machines will give you the full range of data that is needed to really fine tune your therapy - some only give the hours used, while others might give hours and AHI but nothing else. There is an excellent summary of things to look for (and machines to avoid) here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

In terms of software, most people like SleepyHead, which is available here: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH/ SleepyHead is genuine freeware written by a fellow apneac. (Of course donations help him keep developing it). For Resmed machines, you can use their own software ResScan, available via a link here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links ResScan is intended for clinic use and has a fair bit of patient management overhead, though there's no reason you can't use it at home. I have both but I use SleepyHead most of the time - it's easier and friendlier. For Philips machines, their Encore software comes in two flavours - one for individual use and one for clinic use. I haven't used either, so I can't comment on them.

Just as important as which machine is "which mask". People on this forum will swear that their particular favourite is the greatest thing since the second coming, while others will say that same mask is the work of the devil. There are so many variables involved here I firmly believe you need to try for yourself and be prepared to try several different types until you get one that suits you. Obviously, try to get some sort of return / exchange deal with your supplier if you can - this can get expensive. But if your mask is uncomfortable or leaks excessively, then the best machine in the world will do you no good.

Again, welcome to the forum, and good luck entering the wonderful world of hoseheads. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the primer.

What else do you need to know about me?

I would love an auto machine, but I understand my subsidy from the govt won't contribute unless my pressure varies from 6 to 10.5 per night. Not sure if it is true, but that's what they told me at the clinic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2015, 05:07 AM)player Wrote: What else do you need to know about me?

Any further details from you sleep test? eg Did they mention central apneas or are yours all obstructive? Any significant difference sleeping on your back or side? Do you habitually breathe through your mouth? Any other conditions (especially respiratory) which might affect your sleep or breathing?

Quote:I would love an auto machine, but I understand my subsidy from the govt won't contribute unless my pressure varies from 6 to 10.5 per night. Not sure if it is true, but that's what they told me at the clinic.

If it's by way of a subsidy, I assume it's a fixed amount? In that case, could you pay the extra yourself? I don't know the case in Canada, but apparently in the US there is only a small difference in price between the base model and the autoset.

Post Reply Post Reply
The cost difference between a base model and autoset is minor, worth the difference even out of pocket, as it allows you a flexibility in treatment - actually, these days, I don't know why that isn't the standard basic type of machine. If you have more or less vanilla OSA, either the Resmed A10 autoset or the Philips Respironics System one Auto with A flex is what you are looking for - beyond that, you need to decide if you need a heated hose system or not for the humidifier - if you have a warm home in the winter, then it is a sort of six of one, half a dozen of the other equation, but if in the winter you have a cold-ish bedroom, then a heated hose may be of use. All of this should be covered under OHIP.

In terms of masks, you have full face, over the nose (or nasal mask) and nasal pillows - if you are not a mouth breather and can take a nasal pillow, then give the Resmed P10 a try, but look through our product reviews sections for various reviews of various masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi player,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting an Auto machine in Canada can be very challenging, so you need to know which CPAP machines give you data to help you monitor treatment efficacy and make appropriate changes without constantly going back for titration studies of physician intervention.

Philips Respironics sells the Plus, Pro and Auto models (261, 461, 561 non U.S. models). Of those the Plus does not provide data. The 461 Pro provides data in a CPAP model with A-Flex, the Pro AutoIQ actually has an auto mode that automatically checks and adjusts titration after 30 days. The Auto of course provides full functionality in a range of pressures.

Resmed offers a Airsense 10 CPAP that you do not want. The Airsense 10 Elite is a CPAP with full data and the Airsense 10 Autoset and Autoset for Her are the top of the line auto-CPAP machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses.

I apparently have no problems keeping my mouth shut when I am asleep. (When I am awake is a different story.) Back, sides or stomach I still have the apnea problem. They may have told me obstructive etc. but I cannot remember.

Choosing a mask(s) is not my issue here. I got 4 loaners from the clinic. A full, a nose, and two pillows. The first week they gave me 3 to try, but one was broken so it leaked and the other was missing a piece, so it leaked. I have not been impressed with the whole program. Every step in the process has been filled with incompetence and error. It's amazing how this illness has been turned into an industry.

Anyhow as far as getting the govt to help, they told me the auto machines are off the list for me. I will try but the funding might be denied for those models.

So either the Philips or Resmed units, and get the best one I can? There is no difference between the software supplied by each manufacturer, and I will probably use Sleepyhead anyway?

I am finding all the model names confusing...

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2015, 03:38 AM)player Wrote: Hi everybody,

I am using a loaner unit for the start of my second week as a cpap sleeper. I was started at 7 but they changed it to 8 today after looking at my 1st week's feedback. When I did the initial sleep study they said I have 37 events per hour.

I am wondering which combination of machine and software I should go with?

I am not impressed with the professionalism at the local hospital run clinic/store so thank Gord there is this site. I am pretty good with computers and would like to learn be able to manage myself as much as possible.

I am in Ontario Canada, and I can get some of the costs covered by the govt if the vendor is on their list of approved merchants.

Thanks

Hi player,
I'm not sure if I can post a link yet, so if you google adp ontario, which stands for assistive devices program the funding criteria and protocol is available for your reading pleasure. If I remember correctly for the autoset ,one was required to need positional therapy, differences in pressure required from side to back sleeping on the titrated sleep study or something like that and required a Dr prescription for it specifically.
Suggest you get complete copies of all sleep studies- diagnostic and titration, they are a few pages each.
By the way who's Gord? :Eat-popcornjust kidding , couldn't resist. auto correct right?
All the best,
Post Reply Post Reply
Gord is the big guy, as I don't believe in the other guy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,349 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,866 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,342 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,790 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,285 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Deciding which first mask for snoring, back, sleeper Gabby 18 6,510 12-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.