Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help Deciding Which Machine Please...
RE: Need Help Deciding Which Machine Please...
I found this list:

Resmed
S9 Autoset™ Cpap
S9 Escape Cpap
S9 Escape Cpap with H5i
AirCurve 10 S Bilevel w/ HH
AirCurve 10 VAuto w/ HH
AirSense 10 Elite w/ Humidifier
AirSense 10 Autoset
VPAP™ Auto 25 Cpap
H4i™ Humidifier
H5i™ Humidifier
Airfit N10 Nasal and Full Face
Quattro Air Full Face Mask™
Mirage FX Mask™
Mirage SoftGel Mask™
Swift™ FX Nano
Swift™ FX Nano for her
Swift™ FX Mask
Swift™ FX for her Mask
Mirage Activa™ LT Mask
Mirage Micro™ Mask
Mirage Vista™ Mask
Mirage Quattro™ Mask
Mirage Liberty™ Mask

Respironics
Remstar Plus w/ C-Flex
Remstar Pro w/ C-Flex
Remstar Auto w/ A-Flex
Sleep Easy w/ C-Flex
Wisp Nasal Mask
Nuance Pro Mask
Comfort Classic Mask
Comfort Full 2 Mask
Comfort Fusion Mask
Comfort Gel Mask
Comfort Gel Full Face Mask
Comfort Select Mask
EasyLife Mask
Profile Lite Mask
Gold Seal Mask

Devilbiss
intelliPAP Bilevel S Cpap
intelliPAP AutoAdjust Cpap
intelliPAP Standard Plus Cpap

Fisher & Paykel
Icon Premo Cpap
Icon Novo Cpap
Icon Auto Cpap
Pilairo Q Nasal Mask
Eson Nasal Mask
Flexifit 405 Mask
Flexifit 406 Mask
Forma Full Face Mask
Flexifit 432 Full Face Mask
Flexifit 431 Full Face Mask
Zest Mask
Opus Mask

Somnetics
Transcend II Cpap

AEIOMed
Everest Cpap

Puritan-Bennett
Sandman Intro Cpap

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2015, 03:38 AM)player Wrote: I found this list:

That's a very incomplete list which leaves out lot of machines. It also mixes up machines and masks. It also lists a lot of superseded masks and machines. Apart from demonstrating that there's a lot of confusion out there it's not really very helpful.

Unless you have a pressing reason to do otherwise, you should stick to the market leaders Resmed and Philips. You should avoid the base-model non-data machines, and (unless there is a medical reason) you don't need a bilevel (Bipap, Aircurve, VPAP) machine. This brings you down to a Resmed A10 Airsense Elite or Airsense Autoset, or the Philips equivalents. Don't over-complicate things, they're complicated enough already. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Should I delete it?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, if nothing else it's interesting just to demonstrate how confusing this business can be.
Post Reply Post Reply
What it does demonstrate is that you are looking for a machine with "auto" in it in some form. The vanilla form for the Remstar is the Auto with A Flex, for Resmed the A10 autoset which supersedes the very good S9 Autoset. I doubt your prescribing doc will deny an aoutsetting machine for you, unless he is a total berk or OHIP is a total moster with tyrannical rules - it makes his job way easier if your machine autotitrates and ensures better compliance. The only reason to not, IMHO, is if you have a special form of SA that requires bi-level or other forms of machines to deal with complex apnoea or extreme central apnoea. You did not indicate that to be the case. It is no longer practice here to prescribe a fixed pressure, nor should it be, but instead a pressure range. The machinery available is now smart enough to find the right levels and micro-adjust over the night, which was not the case 10 years ago. However, I am aware that OHIP has been put under extreme pressure by the Ontario government to cut as many corners as possible, and that there is more or less a medical crisis in that province, especially in Toronto, which has a shortage of doctors for the patient load.If your doc will not write the script, find one who will or talk to you GP or to your ombudsman.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will talk to my sleep MD, but I only saw her once on a remote video conference briefly.

I was told before the doctor will offer the auto script they need to be able to show a variance between
6 and 10.5 with side and back in one session. Unfortunately the approved dealers only offer a small number of govt approved units.
The govt pays 75% of the cost, bringing it to $215 out of my pocket. If I don't get the script for auto and I go auto, I get no help.
So I will push for the auto script, but if not I will pick the best unit I can, hopefully with some guidance from this community.

I guess I could sell it new and get a better one on sale...but I have a loaner for another week, and I do not want to go without a machine when the week is up.
Post Reply Post Reply
You machine is data capable - all you need is to show an increase in AHI between back and side sleeping, which you can do easily enough, even without cheating. Insist they review the data and look at individual AHI variance over the night - increase in AHI at various points of the night will indicate a possible position change and will allow for them to write a script for an auto machine. It is, btw, a daft rule if ever I heard of one, the one you mentioned. Should be challenged and struck off the books. Auto machines should the basic script model in Canada, as it is in Switzerland.
Post Reply Post Reply
An update:

I am most likely getting the AirSense 10 Elite w/ Humidifier.

I cannot get an auto machine, so I think this machine is the newest and most feature packed for the money.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a good machine and will give you good feedback on your treatment. There is a lot of emphasis on the auto machines here, but for a lot of us, the best treatment occurs in a narrow range. The auto helps to find that, but it's still a CPAP. Elite also has a 3 cmH20 exhale pressure relief. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 10:13 PM)player Wrote: An update:

I am most likely getting the AirSense 10 Elite w/ Humidifier.

I cannot get an auto machine, so I think this machine is the newest and most feature packed for the money.

It's fine for a manual CPAP. Check on the right bottom of the front of the machine and it should say AirSense 10 Elite.

It wouldn't be surprising if a DME tried to switch machines on you.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,211 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,799 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,321 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,757 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,251 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Deciding which first mask for snoring, back, sleeper Gabby 18 6,494 12-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.