Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help Interpreting Home Sleep Test
Need Help Interpreting Home Sleep Test
Hi guys,

For the past couple of months I've been sleeping and feeling like crap. Back in April 2022, I did a home sleep test with a NightOwl device and the doctor said I have mild sleep apnea but didn't recommend treatment. At the time, I was dealing with constant interrupted sleep and daytime sleepiness.

As the summer progressed however, my symptoms got better and my sleep improved substantially (I was less stressed about school and work and lost 5 lbs). However, around October of last year, my sleep quality once again took a severe nosedive. Within 1 week my sleep went from great to crappy - constant nightime wakeups, brain fog, blurry vision, difficult concentrating, etc. Around the same time, I started a new job and moved in with my girlfriend for the first time, and was stressed to the ninth degree.

For the past few months, my sleep has remained cruddy. In January 2023, my sleep doctor had a custom mandible made for me and scheduled a follow-up sleep test. The resulting test showed a massive improvement and he said I didn't have sleep apnea anymore. I told him how I still sleep like crap and he chalked it up to anxiety-induced insomnia.

Do you guys think I have sleep apnea or it is just some form of anxiety-induced insomnia?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help Interpreting Home Sleep Test
Congratulations on your spectacular results.  Your 1st NightOwl sleep test showed your Min heart rate during sleep of 28.  Your max was 157.  Assuming the testing was correct, this could be a bradycardia (slow heart rate)/POTS (Positional Orthostatic Tachycardia) combination.   28 is very low during the night.  With movement, it can shoot up very quickly into tachycardia to compensate.  You may have moved or sat up quickly or got up to go to the bathroom, etc.  

Your 2nd test heart rate max and min and mean look ok though.  Keep an eye on these numbers in the future.  Hopefully they will stay good.  Be careful sitting up and standing up (especially at night in bed).  Take a little bit more time doing this so no fainting occurs.  If you ever feel dizzy or lightheaded, sit down ASAP so no falls.  But again, hopefully your heart rate mean, max, and min stay good like during your 2nd test.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help Interpreting Home Sleep Test
Poor sleep quality does not necessarily mean sleep apnea. Google cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia. It helped me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 101 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,920 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 100 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 139 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.