Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed myAir
RE: Resmed myAir
(12-26-2015, 01:59 PM)HowieS Wrote: I've just started using MyAir, 4 days now, and find the information to be less that useful. The weigthing of their scoring system seem to be way off, IMO. I've also been using Sleeyhead. It gives me much more information.

The MyAir site is designed to encourage you and tell you you are doing great so you will stay on their machine. Not entirely a bad thing, but still simplistic in comparison to SleepyHead.

It gives 70% of it's score to sleep hours and only 5% for your AHI with 7 hours enough to get you the full score there. A slightly odd choice, IMO, but I generally look at it every day although I ignore and delete the emails that tell me I've won my 7,256th "gold medal".

Compliance for insurance generally requires at least 4 hours sleep and an AHI under 5. That's the one that counts if it's an insurance company you want to buy you a machine.

Otherwise I use SleepyHead to try and suss out what's really going on.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed myAir
(12-28-2015, 05:58 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Compliance for insurance generally requires at least 4 hours sleep and an AHI under 5. That's the one that counts if it's an insurance company you want to buy you a machine.
This is the primary purpose behind MyAir, and the automatic "push" reporting by your device to Resmed.
Resmed is prohibited by the FDA (and their own lawyers) from providing any kind of information which might be construed as "Medical Advice." I.e. they are not doctors.

In approximately 2010, CMS - Center for Medicare Services promulgated new regulations concerning reimbursement for PAP devices.
Medicare regulations are frequently used as "industry standards" by the Insurance Industry for determining and defining various rules and regulations in their own policies.
Those new CMS regulations required Durable Medical Equipment (DME) providers to certify to Medicare that the PAP devices were being used by the patient. I.e. Medicare was not about to pay simply because the DME had provided the device -- the DME had to prove that the Device was being used!

An informative (although now dated, 2012) document from Resmed is: "Reimbursement Fast Facts"
(Sorry the forum tells me I can't post a link to the document. You'll have to find it yourself.)

[indent]"The values must document that the patient is using the device for four or more hours per night for 70% of the nights in a consecutive 30-day period."[/indent]

Another document is: "Basic Medicare Coverage Guidelines for Receiving Positive Airway Pressure Devices (PAP)"
(Sorry the forum tells me I can't post a link to the document. You'll have to find it yourself.)

If you google "CMS CPAP REIMBURSEMENT" you can find lots of interesting info.
Bill Magill
Retired computing and networking professional
(ARPAnet, Unix and Mac OSX)
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
but actually — from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint —
it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
The Doctor
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Myair data accurate? dbinTO 2 183 03-11-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Field map Oscar report fields to MyAir fields jim62 1 159 03-06-2024, 07:38 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  MyAir: What does score_detail_score_components_usage_score mean? tottbjorn 2 660 06-06-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: tottbjorn
  MyAir App? Quarky68 1 941 06-07-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  MyAir Recording Mask Off Events a.paul 2 953 05-15-2022, 09:57 AM
Last Post: a.paul
  MyAir - download .cs . to creat spreadsheet. Expat31 11 2,058 02-13-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: SleepyCPAP
Question OSCAR Showing Different Usage Hours than MyAir BunHead 2 825 01-22-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: BunHead

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.