Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help With Husband's Data
Need Help With Husband's Data
Hi Everyone,

I was just diagnosed with complex apnea which was discovered when they tried to treat me on a CPAP machine. I had 3 studies done and they gave me an ASV machine, which I've had for 1 week and I'm doing great. My concern is about my husband though. I had him tested after I went through it because I recognized that he also had sleep apnea. He went through the first study without being on a machine. They recently called to say he does have sleep apnea and gave him the choice to either do a second study while on a CPAP machine, like I did, or just get a machine. He chose the machine and started on a ResMed AirSense 10 Auto machine last night.

I put his data into ResScan software this morning and I'm a bit alarmed that he had 62 instances of central apnea events. I'm wondering if he is like me where once CPAP therapy is started, central apneas begin and maybe he should be on an AVS machine like me.

I've attached part of the data from ResScan. So my question is--Is it normal to have so many central apneas on the first night of CPAP therapy?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help With Husband's Data
Hi Aremoni,

For openers, since it's getting late work with your husband to insure he does not sleep on his back tonight. Prop the head of the bed up some, or whatever you can.

Then check his results in the morning and put them back out here.

The CA's are high, but so is his pressure. That should modify if you can keep him off his back.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Aremoni,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
Much success to both you and your husband as he starts, and as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
just curious how they determined what his pressure should be. I agree with retired guy. see what the data is after a few days and post it here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome aremoni !!

Yep, me too...the hope is that back sleeping is the cause of the severe breathing limitations that are causing the machine to ramp the pressure up to the extreme value of 19 cm H2O. Good grief, that's a terrible pressure to inflict on a newbie! Get him to sleep on one side or the other or both if need be and keep him off his back. That also applies to you if you are also a back sleeper.

Best regards,

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2015, 09:51 PM)Aremoni Wrote: Hi Everyone,

That is a very high treated AHI regardless of type. If you have the ability to use Sleepyhead software, or can zoom in on the wave form of the flow chart, you might get some additional insights as to the duration of the apnea events and what is going on with the breathing patterns. It's very hard to tell from the poor scale on the attachment, but periodic breathing with periods of very low volume and periods of recovery breathing are a concern.

Keep up the good work on therapy, but I'd consider scheduling an appointment to have this data reviewed in detail by a professional sooner, rather than wait until the next scheduled appointment. This may improve with more nights, and it's not a good idea to take one night of data as conclusive of a problem.

What was the AHI for the full night, and breakdown of events?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for all your replies! He seems to have done better last night with not as many central apneas. His original AHI from the sleep study without the machine was 28. The first night's stats were: AI-12.7, OA-5.2, CA-7.5, AHI-13.9, Leaks at 7.2 95%. Last night's stats were: AI-3.5, OA-1.5, CA-2.0, AHI-5.1 Leaks at 0 at 95%. So there is an improvement. But I sent him to the doctor's office this morning with his data card to have them analyze it to make sure the settings for this therapy are correct and they said his therapy is right where is it suppose to be, so I guess everything is OK.

Thanks so much for your help :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings Aremoni,

It is great that you are being treated and now you hubby is getting treatment! It seems that spouses are often the ones who notice the apnea and get things rolling.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 03:13 PM)Aremoni Wrote: Last night's stats were: AI-3.5, OA-1.5, CA-2.0, AHI-5.1 Leaks at 0 at 95%. So there is an improvement. But I sent him to the doctor's office this morning with his data card to have them analyze it to make sure the settings for this therapy are correct and they said his therapy is right where is it suppose to be, so I guess everything is OK.

Hi Aremoni,

It is fairly common for the number of central apneas to be a little too high during the initial weeks of therapy, and for the number of central events to gradually degrease as we become accustomed to the therapy.

If his CA index had stayed typically at 5 or higher, even after a month or two of therapy, I would have advised that he should request an ASV titration and an ASV machine, but it seems unlikely that it would be needed in his case.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Husband's August Therapy Deborah K. 2 404 08-26-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Treatment] Posting for my husband - new to CPAP, aerophagia tmc712 5 21,738 11-06-2022, 12:44 PM
Last Post: tmc712
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Need help with husband's therapy. Deborah K. 4 524 09-17-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 800 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Sleep Lab Oxygen (Husband) hookedonstitch 17 1,359 08-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.