Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help With Recommendation on a 12VDC ? 120VAC Type Cpap Bipap for Camping
Need Help With Recommendation on a 12VDC ? 120VAC Type Cpap Bipap for Camping
My main machine is an Aircurve 10S I use with a IPAP of 14 and EPAP of 4 with 20min ramp. I would like a machine I can take with me to use in my MH on 12 to 14 VDC and AC also. I like my Aircurve 10S but do not want to risk even using it with the 12/24 volt DC converter when off the grid so I need an AC and DC operation machine for 120 VAC and 12VDC to use without the propriety converter cables that Resmed commands. Being on Medicare I don't have a lot of $$ for out of pocket expense but I have seen places selling older refurbished units for several hundred dollars. I don't know if any of the providers on the forum list sell used refurbished so that would be something I would be interested in also. So...

1. Recommendations for 120 VAC and 12VDC Bipap, IPAP, EPAP machine.
2. Knowledge of GOOD suppliers on the list selling GOOD used/refurbished units.

I've been having trouble searching the forums so any help would be appreciated 

Thanks...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help With Recommendation on a 12VDC ? 120VAC Type Cpap Bipap for Camping
(08-24-2018, 03:50 PM)Asparky Wrote: I like my Aircurve 10S but do not want to risk even using it with the 12/24 volt DC converter when off the grid so I need an AC and DC operation machine for 120 VAC and 12VDC to use without the propriety converter cables that Resmed commands.

I have used two of my ResMed units (S8 and S10) off-grid using their proprietary DC-DC converter without incident. I power it with a deep cycle 35ah AGM 12-volt battery. The thing about the proprietary nature of the power supply is that it is a safety feature and allows the machine to know that it is getting appropriate power. I would give a second thought to using your machine. There are extensive entries on the forum covering most aspects of off-grid power packs.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help With Recommendation on a 12VDC ? 120VAC Type Cpap Bipap for Camping
Thanks for the comeback
I'm trying not to use my Aircurve 10S as I don't want to take the chance of traveling with it..
Looking for an inexpensive older model for traveling.
I was just told the ResMed S8 VPAP is a 120VAC / 12VDC machine with a non proprietary power plug. You might know more about that than I do. Looking for something like that I guess.

thanks again
Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Resmed has been operating on 24 volts nearly forever. Respironics run on 12 volt power without any converter, just a power plug. So any of the BiPAPs should work for you. I'm a little puzzled at your caution in using the Resmed. The Resmed 12 to 24 volt converter is sold for this purpose, and while it costs about $85, it does not put your machine at any risk. As long as you have a good 12 volt source, this setup should be safe. The machine runs on 24 volt DC power that you are converting from 110 AC everytime you plug it in, so why are you so reluctant? Just noting that is a whole lot of pressure support you are using at 14/4.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ron,

Cruise on over to Supplier #2 from the Supplier List Menu Item in the top black menu bar. Check what is available and pricing. The search eBay for a deal. 

Remember, you can always negotiate and you are really purchasing your seller's reputation along with a used machine. You can always try your DME to see what they have in their used stock -- sometimes they have machines at excellent prices as long as you tell them you are looking for a deal.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Its not about using my 10S with the converter, its about something damaging or the machine being stolen type of concerns. we boondock in some remote places and leave the motorhome unattended for periods of time. Don't want my 10S damaged or stolen. Being on Medicare it would be hard if not impossible to replace just because of the cost. Its insured at home but not on the road for the most part. I'm looking for a good used machine at a reasonable price. As I understand the ResMed S8 is a VPAP which I've been told will do the basics IPAP, EPAP and have seen them advertised for less than $200. Always a little late in getting them though.

thanks
Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2018, 12:33 AM)Asparky Wrote: Being on Medicare it would be hard if not impossible to replace just because of the cost. Its insured at home but not on the road for the most part. 

You may wish to give Medicare a call and ask them about replacement DME equipment damaged or stolen while traveling. 

A friend of mine had his CPAP grabbed out of his car. He had to file a police report, get a valid prescription for the replacement, and Medicare paid for the temporary rental and the replacement machine. https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-...lacing-dme.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's nice to know. My supplier said they wouldn't replace and even if it was replaced I would have to go thru my compliance again and start the 13 month process again on the journey to owning it. I'd rather spend a few hundred for a machine that will work off grid and  I don't have to worry about being stolen, destroyed or beat up. the 12/24 volt converter would be the cheapest alternative. I just don't want to take my 10S on the road...

So tell me about your S8, is it a 12VDC input machine? A supplier said it was. I asked if a 12 to 24 volt converter was needed and he said NO just plug it in directly to a 12VDC source .He said very good for camping off grid.

As far as the pressures, I was waking multiple times nightly with 200+ /140+ BP with adrenal driving my pulse pounding through the roof. My O2 sat was low to mid 70's if I remember right.  I put up with that for nearly 2 months while completing my sleep studies. Since the first night I haven't had another episode like that. Not even close. My terrible snoring I was doing has also stopped. and my treatment shows terrific low readings for compliance and apneas. I haven't missed a night in almost 4 months and overall usage is close to 8 hrs a night So guess its working for me. Dr said one of the worst cases he had seen.

Thanks
Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, my S8 Elite II has a 12v direct input receptacle on the back next to the 110v receptacle and the ResMed dc-dc converter is recommended to provide safe power to the machine. I have used it with a 12v Duracell portable power pack but used the ResMed converter between the machine and the battery pack to ensure polarity and fusing for voltage spikes. 

Since S8 are obsolete, they are relatively cheap and would be an excellent solution for off-grid use. Warning, I do not use my humidifier to conserve my battery. ResMed has a battery guide that might be helpful to you ... https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf.

BTW: If you plan to power your cpap from your cigarette lighter -- remove the machine before starting the car. And, remember, the device can drain the battery sufficiently to prevent the car from starting.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks
So that confuses me a little. is the 12/24 volt converter selectable 12VDC or 24VDC output. Or does the machine run on 24VDC. with an internal 12 to 24 volt DC converter. Not sure why you would use the converter if it runs internally on 12VDC although I can see polarity issue of not correct polarization. I'm guessing also there isn't a 3 wire handshake issue with the power supply on the S8. Or is there?
Also, is the 12VDC input a proprietary resmed size fitting? or standard off the shelf DC fitting?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 198 Yesterday, 10:44 AM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 11 17,299 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 250 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 218 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 404 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 331 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 259 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.