Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help with Adjustments - Sleepyhead Newbie
Question 
Need Help with Adjustments - Sleepyhead Newbie
My sleep study was done on 3/21. Result was 83 events per minute. I started out with an Airsense 10 CPAP machine. It was originally set at 8, then my doctor increased it to 9. I was continuing to have an AHI of from 5 to 11. For 3 nights now, I have been using a Dreamstation Auto CPAP machine. My doctor had it set at 7 - 11. I had AHI of 6.34. Last night I increased the machine to 9 - 20. AHI was 3.35 (see attached). How can I tweak the settings to make this better? 

Why does the graph show a leak rate around 26.7?

I had one session of periodic breathing that was 5 min and 2 seconds. What is this? Can I do something to the settings that will stop this from happening?

Advice would be appreciated. Thank you! 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help with Adjustments - Sleepyhead Newbie
I would leave things as they are for awhile and see if you continue to get the <5 AHI readings. An AHI of 3.4 is considered successfully treated. You may be able to do better if you take charge of your own therapy but I'd still advise leaving things alone until you can see if you are staying under 5 or if that was a "one off".
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
littlefatcat,
Your data doesn't look too bad.  Knowing that P-R machines are slower to respond to hypopneas, I'd bump up the minimum pressure to 12cm. I would lower the maximum pressure to 15cm.  The narrowing of the pressure band will aid the algorithm in obtaining optimum pressure.  The CA's could be either pressure induced or a CO2 washout from the A-Flex set to 2 (I'm guessing here).  I'd leave it unless the CA's continue.  If they do, try setting the A-Flex to 0/Off and see if the CA's are reduced.  

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your suggestions!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi littlefatcat,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy and getting it dialed in to better meet your needs.
You’ve come to the right place for help, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 02:09 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: littlefatcat,
Your data doesn't look too bad.  Knowing that P-R machines are slower to respond to hypopneas, I'd bump up the minimum pressure to 12cm. I would lower the maximum pressure to 15cm.  The narrowing of the pressure band will aid the algorithm in obtaining optimum pressure.  The CA's could be either pressure induced or a CO2 washout from the A-Flex set to 2 (I'm guessing here).  I'd leave it unless the CA's continue.  If they do, try setting the A-Flex to 0/Off and see if the CA's are reduced.  

I hope this may help.

I changed the settings to 12cm - 15cm last night. On the pressure graph the red line is right up against the 15 for part of the night. Guess that means that I should increase the high? Also still 14 CA's in event flags. (I can't add another image til I make post 4 times.) Did not change A-Flex.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn the Flex feature off for a couple nights. I wouldn't change pressure again until you see if that makes a difference in CA's.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Opal Rose!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would increase the pressure, You could reduce the flex, if you are comfortable with the feeling of harder exhale and for most, it will reduce the CA. If I was starting over, I wouldn't be concerned with 14 events overnight. It was just my body getting use to cpap. I seldom see a CA now.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with OpalRose.  Turn off the Flex, don't change the pressure, and allow your body to get accustomed to all the changes.  I would wait a week to see what happens.  

On another note; You have reached the 4 post minimum to post links.  If you haven't, read the documents listed below,  particularly the Organizing your charts and how to use imgur.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,844 4 minutes ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 509 11 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 393 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.