Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help with CPAP settings
Question 
Need Help with CPAP settings
            [attachment=46706][attachment=46704][attachment=46708][attachment=46704]Hello everyone,

I made an account here because I've had my CPAP for over a year and I feel like I am still waking up tired every day. I wanted help to make sure I am using my machine correctly and if I am, I can start to make other changes too.

I recently changed the pressure from 5-15 to 7-15 and I do feel like it helped more, but I am not sure if I need to increase the max pressure more. 

I feel like I fall asleep with the CPAP on pretty comfortably, and I sleep well with it for the most part. I get really intense nightmares sometimes, however. (Part of it is the meds that I take every day that gives me vivid nightmares). Usually it has nothing to do with cpap, but once every couple of weeks I'll have a dream or a hypnopompic hallucination where something in my brain tells me I need to take the CPAP off otherwise I will die. I've had these types of hallucinations in the past even before the CPAP, and they still happen from time to time. The most recent incident caused me to increase my pressure, and it has not happened since. 

Thank you so much for any help and guidance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help with CPAP settings
You have heavy flow limitations. These may or may not be affecting the quality of your sleep. If the FLs originate in your nose, there's nothing much the machine can do about them, though you'd want to see an ENT to understand what's going on and maybe fix it. If the FLs originate in your pharynx, they reflect a loosening of the tissues lining your airway. The first thing to try to reduce FLs is to introduce EPR. Stick with your current pressure settings and try EPR at 2. If that goes well, increase to 3. (Or you could start with 1 if you'd prefer.)

The EPR reduces your pressure when you exhale; by the same token, your pressure will increase when you inhale. This little boost can help you better overcome the limitations in your pharynx.

On the chart you posted, are we looking at a two-hour nap and then a bedtime of around 2 a.m.? If you can avoid napping, nap earlier, or nap for a shorter period of time, you might get better night-time sleep, benefiting from the sequence of sleep stages your body needs in order for your to feel rested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello! I will try to change the EPR settings. I am just recovering from a cold, so maybe that could also  be a problem?

I also did not take a nap with the CPAP yesterday, I went to sleep at around 12am. 

Thank you for your help! I do generally try to take naps, but I've also been trying to avoid doing that, so I will keep that in mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2022, 01:24 PM)Dormeo Wrote: You have heavy flow limitations.  These may or may not be affecting the quality of your sleep.  If the FLs originate in your nose, there's nothing much the machine can do about them, though you'd want to see an ENT to understand what's going on and maybe fix it.  If the FLs originate in your pharynx, they reflect a loosening of the tissues lining your airway.  The first thing to try to reduce FLs is to introduce EPR.  Stick with your current pressure settings and try EPR at 2.  If that goes well, increase to 3.  (Or you could start with 1 if you'd prefer.)

The EPR reduces your pressure when you exhale; by the same token, your pressure will increase when you inhale.  This little boost can help you better overcome the limitations in your pharynx.

On the chart you posted, are we looking at a two-hour nap and then a bedtime of around 2 a.m.?  If you can avoid napping, nap earlier, or nap for a shorter period of time, you might get better night-time sleep, benefiting from the sequence of sleep stages your body needs in order for your to feel rested.

Hello, I apologize for the double reply, but I just checked my CPAP and I already have my EPR at 3. Should I increase it further?
Post Reply Post Reply
sleepyfriend - You are at the maximum EPR value.  It is only settable between 0-3.  Any greater pressure differential will require a bi-level machine.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for letting me know! So that means that I will need a different kind of machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
On the chart you posted, I’m not seeing EPR. Can you triple check?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the Settings panel on your third chart, you have EPR set to Off. Check the Clinicians Menu as well as the About Options.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I check the clinician's menu on my cpap it says 
Ramp time: Off
EPR: On
EPR Type: Full Time
EPR Level 4 
(I can't seem to attach a picture) 

Is there something else I need to check?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm. You don’t have EPR of 4 as an option. Could you check again?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 175 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 359 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 272 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 521 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 313 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 306 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 1,006 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.