Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Mask Help to Make It Through The Weekend!
Need Mask Help to Make It Through The Weekend!
Hello Folks,

My first time here, as a CPAP user of about 10 months.  Never had a problem or needed more information. But now that I'm in need, I feel so fortunate to have discovered this forum.  I believe my Mirage Quattro mask is malfunctioning, so if you think you can help, please read on.  But first, I must describe my situation.  I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea ... snoring and apnea never bothered me, but it did disturb my wife. Since I adopted CPAP, problem solved!  Happy wife, happy life.  I cannot say that I feel amazingly better on CPAP therapy, but I do sleep very well and have grown used to it.  On the occasions I have had to go without it for one reason or another, I miss it and sleep is not the same.  I like the white noise.  I guess the whole package is like a security blanket now.  Due to my current mask issues, sleep is elusive!  The knucklehead on the phone at my equipment supplier cannot grasp my description of the problem.  His solution is to come into the office for a new mask fitting, first available appointment in two weeks.  Unacceptable!!!!  Since the mask worked great for 10 months, please explain to me how the fit is incorrect.  I’m 55 and have not grown.  The only identifiable change is a bump in pressure from 6.0 to 8.0 after a ramp up from 4.0, but that did not directly coincide with the mask issue.

Here’s what’s going on with the mask:  the exhalation valve is flipping up and blocking the exhaust port (located at the 90 degree point on the mask’s swivel fitting)when I breathe out.  The only exhaust means on this mask are that port, which I gather does most of the job, and a grid of tiny holes located over the nose bridge area.  Inbound air flow is free and normal as I inhale.  Then when I begin to exhale the valve hits the exhaust port hard, making a sudden “pop” that would wake the dead, making it virtually impossible to complete the exhale.  If I control my output - very slow and low volume, I can establish a rhythm that does not cause the valve to pop, and I get to sleep. Inevitably, I am woken up later by the valve action and my struggles to exhale.  Then getting back to sleep is questionable.  I eventually cast the mask aside.  

Like a lot of people, if something works, I have no need to understand the principles of its function.  That’s the case with this exhalation valve.  I gather it’s to stop back flow into the air supply line and prevent me from re-breathing my own carbon monoxide.  The valve looks like it can stop air from going backwards to the tube, but it seems much more effective at blocking the exhaust port, the purpose of which eludes me.  The real mystery is why the mask allowed me to breathe freely in both directions for nearly a year, and now suddenly restricts my exhale.  To complicate matters, this issue started with my original mask.  That’s when I grabbed a new mask off my shelf and tried it. Same symptoms now, no matter which mask I use.  I haven’t changed any of my habits or the way the mask is fitted. I must emphasize that my start-up pressure of 4.0 has never changed, and the issue occurs at that flow rate as well as the full specified value - both when it was 6.0 and now at 8.0.  So I have a hard time believing that the recent adjustment of the rate could be the culprit.  This sucks so bad!!!  I am getting little sleep, and I am not treating apnea much of the time I do sleep due to removing the mask. Being the weekend, my supplier is closed until Monday, when I will be marching into their office - appointment, be damned! I really need a resolution in order to sleep this weekend.  Please help.  FYI, I did droop a bobby pin through the exhaust port, effectively preventing the valve from blocking the port. But I could perceive negative effects on therapy pressure … not sure I’m correct about that.  I decided not to try sleeping that way, but perhaps I should?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Mask Help to Make It Through The Weekend!
Let's start with the basics. Get your mask instructions and disassemble then following the instructions re assemble the mask. Many people have reassembled their masks incorrectly after a cleaning.

A spare is always wise, Insurance companies typically follow medicare guidelines for a replacement schedule.

United States Medicare Replacement Schedule

Item Frequency
A7034 CPAP Mask (Every 3 months)
A7035 CPAP Headgear (Every 3-6 months)
A7036 CPAP Chin Strap (Every 6 months)
A7037 CPAP Tubing (Every 3 months)
A7038 Disposable Filter (2 new filters every month)
A7039 Non-disposable Filters (1 new filter every 6 months)
A7030 Full Face Mask (Every 3 months)
A7029 Nasal Pillows (2 per month)
A7046 Humidifier Chamber (Every 6 months)
E0601 CPAP (Generally, 3 to 5 years)
This is not a complete list, check with your individual insurance company.
Post Reply Post Reply
If needed you can order a valve replacement part and have it delivered overnight from one of the suppliers listed here. It's pricey though.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Copy that. But I'd like to point out that this issue occurs with identical model masks that have never to my knowledge been disassembled.  The manufacturer's manual covers the mask breakdown and reassembly pretty well, but does zero to cover troubleshooting of the valve or even explain it's function

Can someone please explain the proper operation of the exhalation valve on Mirage Quattro, and why it should even be physically possible for it to totally block the exhaust port?  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your anti asphyxia valve is closing due to pressure. That's exactly what it's suppose to do. It only opens up when there's no pressure so you can breath.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
you are confusing the AAV for the exhaust openings.

if your AAV opens while the machine is on there are 2 possibilities: you inhale way too strong or your machine is broken (or assembled that wrong and have a major leak or blockage before the mask)
Post Reply Post Reply
zippinbye,

The valve that you describe is the anti-asphyxiation valve (AAV) and it is supposed to close off the vent that is adjacent to it when the machine is running and air is flowing through the tube to your mask and it should stay closed all the time air is flowing at a sufficient rate. The flush vent which is always open, consists of a grid of small holes on the front of your Mirage Quattro mask. These holes need to stay open at all times, since they take and they take care of providing the flushing of the mask so that you breathe fresh air.

If the AAV is closing when you exhale either your airflow is too low or you have a major leak or something is blocking the outlet of the AAV temporarily. Do you use supplemental oxygen?

Are you blocking the flush vents somehow? I can exhale with very little effort and my AAV stays closed all the time that I am using the machine and my pressures are high. I can cause my AAV to pop by closing the port off with my finger and then letting it go suddenly.

The first thing that I would do is to use your hands to check around the mask for leaks including the oxygen port underneath where the elbow fits into the mask. The second thing would be to increase your starting pressure to 6.

Let us know how you are doing.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2017, 03:03 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: It sounds like your anti asphyxia valve is closing due to pressure. That's exactly what it's suppose to do. It only opens up when there's no pressure so you can breath.

My confusion arose from the so-called technician at my equipment supplier telling me the valve I described to him on the phone was an "exhalation valve."  He told me the flapper is supposed to block entry to the air supply tube when it's working as-designed .... moron.  Sadly, an Internet chat forum is vastly more informative than the supplier "professionals." In actuality what I was talking about was the APV; which I never understood since it worked properly for many months.  As Walla Walla pointed out, the valve was probably not seating over the port because of restricted flow from the machine.  I discovered the filter was clogged, despite being installed three months ago, compared to the first one that was changed at over six months, and still was pretty clean.  I had spare filter, so I washed this one in water and the flow improved significantly.  Not yet sleep tested, but I think my issue is resolved.  New filter on Monday.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in !!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi zippinbye,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s great to hear that you have gotten your problem resolved.
Good luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,061 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 264 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 402 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,616 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
Exclaimation SSRI's Can Make it Worse.. AlaskanJaeger 3 616 12-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredpanda
  Can you make anything of my home test results? vanillagorilla 2 403 12-04-2023, 11:12 PM
Last Post: vanillagorilla
  Being overweight - make a big difference? p123 6 1,841 11-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.