Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Need New Machine
I need a new cpap machine but cannot afford it. my insurance will only pay for one machine.
03-10-2012 02:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

RE: Need New Machine
(03-10-2012 02:20 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote:  I need a new cpap machine but cannot afford it. my insurance will only pay for one machine.

welcome to the forum.

do you have question you want somebody to help you with or are you just making a statement? i don't really know how to answer or reply.
03-10-2012 02:29 PM
The Happy Dreamer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11.5 cm H20 - 20 cm H20

Other Comments:

(03-10-2012 02:20 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote:  I need a new cpap machine but cannot afford it. my insurance will only pay for one machine.

When you say that you need a new cpap I assume that you have a old one, if so how old is it? Most insurance will pay for a new one every 5 years, or will fix your old one.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 02:49 PM by The Happy Dreamer.)
03-10-2012 02:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Gmoyer3292 Offline

Members

Machine: Remstar
Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

(03-10-2012 02:29 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:  

welcome to the forum.

do you have question you want somebody to help you with or are you just making a statement? i don't really know how to answer or reply.

I have a old one six years old. How can I get my ins. to pay for new one?
03-10-2012 03:00 PM
Ltmedic66 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: F&P Sleepstyle 604
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Integrated in CPAP
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Without knowing anything about your insurance, that is a difficult question to answer. For many insurance companies, CPAPs are replaced every 5 years. But, perhaps the better question is "do you need a new one?"

If the answer to that is "yes", then the next obvious question is "why?" Is your current machine broken? Are there newer features that you need that are not available for your machine? Do you just feel like it's time for a new one?

Generally, I suspect your best chance of getting a new machine through insurance is to show medical need. In other words, if your doctor writes a new script for a new machine, your chances of having it approved through insurance are much better. If there is a particular reason that your current machine is no longer acceptable, that, I think, further increases your chances.
03-10-2012 03:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Gmoyer3292 Offline

Members

Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

(03-10-2012 03:12 PM)Ltmedic66 Wrote:  Without knowing anything about your insurance, that is a difficult question to answer. For many insurance companies, CPAPs are replaced every 5 years. But, perhaps the better question is "do you need a new one?"

If the answer to that is "yes", then the next obvious question is "why?" Is your current machine broken? Are there newer features that you need that are not available for your machine? Do you just feel like it's time for a new one?

Generally, I suspect your best chance of getting a new machine through insurance is to show medical need. In other words, if your doctor writes a new script for a new machine, your chances of having it approved through insurance are much better. If there is a particular reason that your current machine is no longer acceptable, that, I think, further increases your chances.

My machine is very noisy, My insurance denied my request for a new machine one year ago. I will try again. Thanks
03-10-2012 03:25 PM
The Happy Dreamer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11.5 cm H20 - 20 cm H20

Other Comments:

(03-10-2012 03:00 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 02:29 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:  

welcome to the forum.

I have a old one six years old. How can I get my ins. to pay for new one?

First you need to get a prescription from your doctor, then go to your DME and they will contact your insurance company to see if you can get a new one.
03-10-2012 03:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Steven Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet (Mfg 10-18-11 in Aus) (Software Version SX474-0903)
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i Humidifier (Mfg 11-16-11 in Aus) (Software ID SX496-0212)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12 - 18 cmH2o

Other Comments: ResMed S9 AutoSet & H5i purch 12-22-11 but were both exchanged 1-31-12 for more recently mfg items

(03-10-2012 03:25 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 03:12 PM)Ltmedic66 Wrote:  Without knowing anything about your insurance, that is a difficult question to answer. For many insurance companies, CPAPs are replaced every 5 years. But, perhaps the better question is "do you need a new one?"

My machine is very noisy, My insurance denied my request for a new machine one year ago. I will try again. Thanks

A machine that is 6 years old is way behind the technological curve.

Have your Doctor write you a prescription for a new machine noting that a machine 6 years old is just too far behind in the technologies to satisfy your medical needs.

Mine was 8 years old & still working, but the "technology" bit worked for me.

By the way, my Sleep Doctor thought my machine was only 5 years old & she was going to use that same reason & says it works all of the time.

I am in a BCBS PPO insurance plan.

Unless the "noise" of the machine means it is not operating properly, I would not even mention that. Wanting a quieter machine won't pass muster IMHO.

Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 06:26 PM by Steven.)
03-10-2012 06:24 PM
Gmoyer3292 Offline

Members

Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

(03-10-2012 06:24 PM)Steven Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 03:25 PM)Gmoyer3292 Wrote:  

A machine that is 6 years old is way behind the technological curve.

Have your Doctor write you a prescription for a new machine noting that a machine 6 years old is just too far behind in the technologies to satisfy your medical needs.

Mine was 8 years old & still working, but the "technology" bit worked for me.

By the way, my Sleep Doctor thought my machine was only 5 years old & she was going to use that same reason & says it works all of the time.

I am in a BCBS PPO insurance plan.

Unless the "noise" of the machine means it is not operating properly, I would not even mention that. Wanting a quieter machine won't pass muster IMHO.

Thanks will give it a try
03-11-2012 05:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,180 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 3,799 04-06-2014 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2