Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Sanity Check for New Machine
Need Sanity Check for New Machine
My doctor agreed to write me a new prescription. He said I just need to tell him which machine I want. I'm leaning towards the ResMed S10 VAuto to replace my S9. The S9 is 5 years old and has almost 10K hours on it. Still works though, but a little beat up.

Before I do so, I thought I'd get some opinions so I can be confident that I'm requesting the right machine. Shouldn't the doctor do this? Well, that's not happening.

I'm posting some recent Oscar data. I notice the last few days my AHI has been a lot higher than normal and I can't explain that. My average AHI for the last year is 3.33. Let me know if I need to send more data, or my statistics for the year.

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice.
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Sanity Check for New Machine
Hi Bubba45,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. Wait for others to post as well, but my thinking is that unless you have developed some medical issues that warrant a higher level machine, the ResMed VAUTO you’ve mentioned would probably be your best choice. I’m a bit surprised in a way that your pressure settings are at 4-20.

Actually having your doctor want you to tell him which machine is a good thing. Most tell you what they want you to use with little input from you the patient.

To your success Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2019, 06:59 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hi Bubba45,

I’m a bit surprised in a way that your pressure settings are at 4-20.

Actually having your doctor want you to tell him which machine is a good thing. Most tell you what they want you to use with little input from you the patient.

Yeah, I hear ya Dave. My current doctor doesn't even want to look at the data on my SD card. I'd really like him to recommend a type of machine. I probably will end up changing doctors. My doctor in NC was very good, but down here in FL - not so much.

That's a rant for a whole different thread.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to see your statistics page, and tell me your perceptions of your Central Apnea.
Did you have Central Apnea pre-treatment?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've attached the OSCAR data from last night, which is very much like a typical night for me. I've also attached the screen shot of my statistics page.

I was on CPAP for about a year, then my doctor ordered another sleep study and that's when I got the prescription for the S9. I also have RLS.

Meds:
Gabapentin
Melatonin
Pramipexole
Clonazapam
Lisinopril
Simvastatin

I consider myself to be overweight, but not obese. Usually weight about 220lbs, 6 ft tall. Fairly active, but I have a sit-down type job. I spend a lot of time in front of my computer most days.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see Central apnea around a Cai of 3 consistently with it occasionally going higher. 3 is a bit higher than I like to see it. The question to you is
Is this disruptive enough To try to lower it?
Your 1 week stats say 4.5 but as a one off I'm not concerned. You are consistently at 3 +/- for the past year.

Your obstructive number have been consistently excellent.

Looking for a cause of the Centrals,
Do you have any breathing issues other than apnea? Stroke, seizures, brain injuries? Heart issues, CHF? Do you know why you have Central apnea?

Why are you on a bilevel/ vpap machine?

FYI , I have no issues with you using the vpap or a VAuto, just would like to know the justification for it

Note: IF you choose to try and lower your Centrals, it would mean lowering your pressure support which may remove the medical justification for the BiLevel
Also may decrease max pressure approaching a fixed . Your response to changes will determine what is suggested..

Your charts also indicate that while there is room for change that your obstructive events would likely increase

Staying where you are at is a perfectly acceptable solution.

Hey, you did ask for a sanity check.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2019, 05:11 AM)bonjour Wrote: Is this disruptive enough To try to lower it?
Your 1 week stats say 4.5 but as a one off I'm not concerned.  You are consistently at 3 +/- for the past year.

Your obstructive number have been consistently excellent.

Looking for a cause of the Centrals,
Do you have any breathing issues other than apnea?  Stroke, seizures, brain injuries?  Heart issues, CHF?  Do you know why you have Central apnea?

Why are you on a bilevel/ vpap machine?

Staying where you are at is a perfectly acceptable solution.
bonjour,

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any other breathing issues, no stroke seizure or brain injuries. No heart issues or CHF.

I think I'll stay where I'm at for now. Looks like the ResMed VAuto is the machine I'll end up with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,209 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Treatment] One year in, need a reality check BuzzaJim 2 177 03-30-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 151 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  How can I check if my ClimateAir actually heats up? NoddingHacker 1 212 02-06-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,838 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
Question 24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data? FL00D 4 1,052 10-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] CPAP starts and runs like it's doing a leak check after getting a new mask ironballsmcginty 1 424 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.