Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Some Oscar Data Analysis
Need Some Oscar Data Analysis
Hi all,

I'm about a week or so into using my APAP and am still kinda struggling with interpretting the data.  I don't sleep well with the mask on and feel like I'm tossing and turning all night long.  My RX pressure is 6-16 but I have my machine set from 6-10 at the moment because 16 feels like a hurricane of wind blowing down my throat!

I usually wake up feeling like a balloon that's been filled with air all night long.  I'm a side sleeper and a mouth breather!  OSCAR tells me I'm snoring all night long, but I worn the mask with the machine on for 30 minutes in bed while I read last night and it still said I snored when I look at the data charts (I went to bed at about 23:30 last night).

I've attached the charts in case you guys can notice anything that could help me out!  
Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Some Oscar Data Analysis
Based on these graphs your pressure of 10 is not sufficient, you are still snoring and have obstructive apnoea, also the machine is at its max setting most of the night. You need to ease up the pressure. It may feel more comfortable if you set the Flex to a value of 2
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree.  When you see a lot of flat table-tops to your max pressure in the chart, it means your machine is running up against YOUR imposed upper limit a great deal of the time.  That's a limitation on the machine's purpose, which is to inflate your airway more than it is able to at that upper limit you've set for it.  So, you'll have to go higher.

Unfortunately, you're also inflating your stomach, which, we know, is horrible.  It'll possibly get worse with even more pressure.  So, we need to figure out how you're sleeping.  If you're on your back, you'll get more snoring, more obstructive events and hypopneas, maybe even more mouth-breathing.  Not good. 

There is a solution, but we need to do a methodical approach to getting this all fixed for you.  It may involve changing pressures, altering pressure support (PS) when you exhale, or adopting other strategies to cope.  Please stand by while some of the more experienced members help you out.  It may take most of a day, it being a weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice guys - I'll turn up the Auto Max to 16 and see how tonight's graphs look!  Would love any other ideas from the big dogs on how to make this process more enjoyable for me!
Post Reply Post Reply
Moving your max pressure to 16 is the right thing to do, but you need to move the minimum pressure up also.  

Respironics machines are slow to react, and by leaving the minimum pressure at 6, the machine will not reach where it needs to go in a timely manner to tackle your apnea.  

Looking at your graph, your median pressure is at 10cm, but could very well be higher because that’s the max limit you gave it.  So set your minimum pressure at 10cm.  This gives your machine a chance to do its job.

Your pressure range should read 10 min - 16 max.  Keep your Flex setting at 2 or 1.
This is just a suggestion and can be adjusted based on what we see, but give the changes a few days. This may even help with the snoring. Turn the VS2 off, but leave the VS on.

As far as being enjoyable.....maybe tolerable or comfortable is the word.  Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Early in the evening, you did surprisingly well at relatively low pressure, but as you hit deeper sleep stages, snoring, and obstructive events really increased. At 2:00 OA events are clustered, and look positional to me. If your pillow arrangement or sleeping position promotes tucking your chin that is a problem. Read the links in my signature on Soft Cervical Collars and Optimizing Your Therapy (see Positional Apnea). Clusters of apnea are pretty strong indicators of chin-tucking, but I also think you maximum pressure is too low. The advantage of dealing with positional apnea, is that if it is present, you can keep pressures lower and not aggravate your aerophagia.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still struggling with the air pressure at night while I sleep.  I usually keep the mask on for 3-4 hours and then feel like I'm being choked and take it off.  Take a look at this graph.  Each drop is when I pressed the Ramp button on my DreamStation because I felt like the pressure was too great.  

Do you guys think I should change anything up?  I feel like my mask leaks a lot - like I can feel air blowing out from around my nose (particularly my left nostril).  I might give the AirFit F20 a go next and see if that seals it up better.  I don't really know how to interpret those graphs so any advice would be appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
I see two strong positional clusters here at 22:35 and 00:15. Other than that, the pressure is increasing on snores. I'd love to see you on a bilevel capable machine like the Resmed Autoset or Vauto, but with what we have (Philips), Let's first limit maximum pressure to 14.0 and see if we can get you comfortable. Second, I think you need to consider the soft cervical collar to avoid chin tucking. This actually looks promising, but it is understandably uncomfortable in the short term. What is your flex setting?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex setting is at 2.  I'll change up the max to 14.0 for tonight and post again tomorrow.  I'll also look into one of those collars!  Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 12 37 minutes ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 103 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 64 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 400 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,399 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.