Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Suggestion on new CPAP
Need Suggestion on new CPAP
I need to get a new CPAP. I have been using an Aeomed Everest for the past 6 years as it was compact and battery operated so on long flights back and forth form SA I could sleep.
Down sid eis it is very loud and is causing a good bit of friction between my girlfriend and I as she can not sleep good with teh CPAP on.
CAn you all give me some recommendatons on a new CPAP machine that is super quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Suggestion on new CPAP
Hi Carolina Kelly, First of all, Welcome to the forum! In my opinion, Resmed makes great machines. I just recently purchased a "Resmed S9 AutoSet™ For Her Auto-CPAP System ." The S9 AutoSet is the same model as the for her model except that it is brushed silver colored instead of pink. Anyway, it is a really quiet machine. My husband is a very light sleeper and he doesn't hardly hear it. Good luck on your search for a new and quieter machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carolina Kelly, welcome to the forum
All machines make some kind of noise but some are quieter than others. My S9 make a little noise on exhaling but overall its fine and at times have to put my hand in front of the mask exhaust vents to see if its working. One way for you find out to rent the machine or even buy a machine on-line with return insurance might cost a bit more but you can exchanged it .
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on manufacturer specifications for the three CPAP machines that I would consider, the Resmed S9 Autoset is the quietest at 24 dBA. Second place goes to DeVilbiss with 26 dBA, and last place is held by Respironics at 29 dBA. These are official numbers from the manufacturers, but there may not be a strict standard on how the measurements are taken. Also, there's the sound "quality" factor to consider. A low level sound of someone scratching their fingernails against a chalkboard could seem louder than soothing music played at the same level. So it's not just the amount of sound that's put out, it's also the type of sound.

My S9 Autoset seems quite quite, but there's sometimes a slight whistling sound, which may be coming from the humidifier. It's slight and I hardly notice it, but I've heard others talk about the same sound. Anything below 30 dBA is pretty darn quiet, and I doubt that you would hear a significant difference between them, unless the sound quality of one just happens to be bothersome to you.

You mentioned using your current CPAP with a battery. The S9 runs on 24 volts, and it requires an $80 adapter to run on a 12 volt battery. The DeVilbiss runs on 12 volts and the cable is around $25. I'm not sure about the Respironics. I believe that they will run from 12 volts, but I'm not sure about the cable. Some of them take a simple cable that sells for around $25, but it's unclear if the latest autoset model requires a different cable. At least it wasn't clear to me when I looked at a couple online retailer websites.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2012, 08:49 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Carolina Kelly, First of all, Welcome to the forum! In my opinion, Resmed makes great machines. I just recently purchased a "Resmed S9 AutoSet™ For Her Auto-CPAP System ." The S9 AutoSet is the same model as the for her model except that it is brushed silver colored instead of pink. Anyway, it is a really quiet machine. My husband is a very light sleeper and he doesn't hardly hear it. Good luck on your search for a new and quieter machine.

+1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
My vote is for the ResMed S9 Autoset as well. Great machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think most of the new machines are quiet. You can check web sites (manufacturers) to see if they give noise information. I have only used ResMed and Respironics machines (four years) and found them both so quiet sometimes I will have to check the mask exhaust to be sure it's on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2012, 08:25 PM)Carolina Kelly Wrote: I need to get a new CPAP. I have been using an Aeomed Everest for the past 6 years

Six years is a long time for a CPAP machine. There have been lots of improvements in the last six years, so there are many reasons to upgrade.

No complaints that I've seen here about noise from any of the newer machines.

The two machines that seem to float to the top of most lists are the ResMed S9 Auto, and the Philips Respironics System One RemStar Auto with A-Flex. The ResMed machine is bit more expensive, but it is probably quieter, and you may find it easier to view and evaluate your data.

I've got a Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) machine and my wife says the mask makes more noise than the machine, although those complaints are very rare. Also, these machines make less noise when we're relaxed or asleep and are taking shallow breaths. Sometimes we get anxious when we're focused on listening to the machine, or to the mask. We breathe deeper and the machine and mask are louder.

We have an air filtering machine that makes nice background white noise and makes the CPAP machine virtually silent. Sometimes I can hear it if I concentrate, but most times it's so quiet I have to feel the exhalation airstream with my hand to make sure it's on!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went with the "Earthshatterer 2000." A machine *so* loud that the sound actually deadens the nerve endings in your ears, so you can't hear it at all.

Of course, if you're looking for a good alternative, the S9s are *darned* quiet.

:-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0wjfXVTFU.

This Respironics video claims that the Resprionics Sytem One is more quiet than the Resmed S9.
However, I have owned both. Truthfully, I don't "hear" a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 664 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] New User - Settings Suggestion - Disturbed Sleep ralphm123 3 332 11-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Suggestion to improve AHI, especially CA caffee666 7 650 01-31-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Sleep Eye Mask Suggestion? Susabella 7 735 11-06-2022, 07:39 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
  Mask Suggestion for High Pressures upsman 3 713 08-16-2021, 09:38 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  suggestion need samitkly 1 594 01-29-2021, 08:05 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  I AM NOT A DOCTOR BUT I DO HAVE A SUGGESTION Maggie 6 1,214 01-16-2021, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.