Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Position
Sleep Position
I know that sleeping on your back might affect Hypopnea rate, but does the sleep position have an affect on the Centrals Rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Position
(07-30-2016, 07:47 AM)rozenbob Wrote: I know that sleeping on your back might affect Hypopnea rate, but does the sleep position have an affect on the Centrals Rate?

Sleeping on your back can make Obstructive events worse. That would include Obstructive Hypopneas. I don't think Central events (Apneas and Hypopneas) would be affected by position in the same way. I have Idiopathic Central Apnea. I am also a side sleeper. When I was on a traditional CPAP machine it didn't matter what position I was in. I am currently using an ASV machine and again position doesn't seem to matter for me.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think we know enough about the cause of central apnea's to say for sure. There is still a lot of controversy in the medical community. Position obviously will affect Obstructive Apnea's, but we can't say about Centrals - other than anecdotal.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
You will get more centrals if you toss and turn, but that is how the machine sees them. For actual centrals, the theory is that it is the brain that is not telling the patient to breathe vs. having an obstruction. These aren't ventilators, so if you don't breathe, xpap can't help you. Now, there are machines designed to help with centrals that, if I understand correctly, act as low level ventilators. They do a breath for you if you don't breathe. Would it be different lying on your back vs. your side? I shouldn't think so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 285 4 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 280 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 217 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 249 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 443 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Idea [Treatment] POSAS (Position dependant OSAS) A KLERK 6 1,604 02-03-2024, 09:55 AM
  Why do apneas also occur in the prone and lateral position? selfhelpdevice 7 594 12-03-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.