Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need a Multi-Session Recording Oximeter that Won't Die
RE: Need a Multi-Session Recording Oximeter that Won't Die
(11-08-2019, 04:15 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 10:23 AM)slowriter Wrote: I have an CMS50i on order. Is there no way to turn off the screen, to avoid the (notorious) OLED burn in?

Both the F and I models turn off their display about 15 seconds after you start a recording session.  Pressing the front button(?) while its recording will turn on the display for another 10-15 seconds.

Thanks.

In that case, seems odd these screen would suffer from burn in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both the F and I models. Both dimmed down packed in their boxes just sitting in a drawer. At first I thought it must be my eyesight was worse than I Imagined.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned above I am on my second CMS50I but without ever having the dimming problem. I use it nightly and load its data most nights. I keep the light intensity set the lowest, at "1". In an effort to avoid battery problems arising from short charging periods and from lacking full (or nearly full) discharges I'm trying to offload and disconnect quickly, 6 days of the week to draw the battery down and then do a "full" charge (full I think-without a gauge to check) of about 6-8 hours once a week. This process may be pointless, but I've been told by accepted local authority that Li-ion batteries need cycling to get something close to a full charge and then full discharge.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2019, 02:43 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: As mentioned above I am on my second CMS50I but without ever having the dimming problem. I use it nightly and load its data most nights. I keep the light intensity set the lowest, at "1". In an effort to avoid battery problems arising from short charging periods and from lacking full (or nearly full) discharges I'm trying to offload and disconnect quickly, 6 days of the week to draw the battery down and then do a "full" charge (full I think-without a gauge to check) of about 6-8 hours once a week. This process may be pointless, but I've been told by accepted local authority that Li-ion batteries need cycling to get something close to a full charge and then full discharge.

So responding to both this and the earlier post, am I right that you'e concluded ideal is to only download data (and charge) every six days, but that if you are going to do it more frequently, make sure to keep charging each time to a minimum?

In other words, roughly once/week (assuming continuous use), you want to do a full change, rather than many small charges along the way?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2019, 08:29 AM)slowriter Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 02:43 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: As mentioned above I am on my second CMS50I but without ever having the dimming problem. I use it nightly and load its data most nights. I keep the light intensity set the lowest, at "1". In an effort to avoid battery problems arising from short charging periods and from lacking full (or nearly full) discharges I'm trying to offload and disconnect quickly, 6 days of the week to draw the battery down and then do a "full" charge (full I think-without a gauge to check) of about 6-8 hours once a week. This process may be pointless, but I've been told by accepted local authority that Li-ion batteries need cycling to get something close to a full charge and then full discharge.

….[A]m I right that you'e concluded ideal is to only download data (and charge) every six days [?] 

No, not unless we can find a way to put more than the most recent sleep session's SpO2 data into SH or OSCAR, doing that after putting only that session's CPAP data into SH or OSCAR. I don't know how or if there is a way to put a number of days of SpO2 data into SH in one sitting. I think the only way would be to have saved complete CPAP data, day by day, without importing it until just before you import, day by day, the same session's SpO2 data. It is necessary, according to my (mis-?)understanding to import into SH/OSCAR the SpO2 data for only the most recently imported day's CPAP data. It would be great if someone could correct me and explain how to do several days at a time.

[B]ut … if you are going to do it more frequently, make sure to keep charging each time to a minimum?

Yes, that's my practice, right or wrong, most of the time, hoping that my second CMS50I lasts longer than 2 years as a result.

In other words, roughly once/week (assuming continuous use), you want to do a full change, rather than many small charges along the way?

Yes, that's the main scheme. I do the full charge after several days of draw down (ratcheting down with small daily charges as I quickly import into SH/OSCAR day by day) to nearly a full discharge. I have found it helpful to roughly sum up the CMS50I times SpO2 program shows are currently recorded in the wrist device and compare the total to the 56 hour maximum criterion I've adopted, right or wrong. I think results will vary device to device. I'd say watch the battery charge indicator, and decide how long you'll gamble and stretch time on its last bar. At the same time decide if you want to go where I avoid going: stretching total recording time over 56 hours OR over 8 sessions. Those are simply my criteria, again, right or wrong. My sleep habit is close to 7 hours per night. Someone doing only 5 hours may be OK over 8 sessions; I don't know. I know my device won't always go to 56 hours and don't recall if it has gone higher; the shortfalls probably reflect excessive screen-on non-sleep time, being too slow to turn off or too quick to turn on.

In much the same other words after resuming:

Because I have been unsuccessful trying to import into SleepyHead  any data other than for the single most recent day I've put into SH, I do (most days) put the matching SpO2 data into SH day by day. However, that takes only a couple of minutes, during which some charging is being done. But that brief charge has the overall charge ratcheting down each day. 

I  usually gamble on having enough charge for another night when I see there is only one bar of the battery charge graph showing. When you upload the SpO2 program it can/will display how many hours and minutes were recorded in a series, up to 8 sessions and 56 hours are the maximums I've seen or allowed before deleting the imported series on the device--my thinking is that recording would abort if I went farther.

Good luck.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2019, 02:43 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: In an effort to avoid battery problems arising from short charging periods and from lacking full (or nearly full) discharges I'm trying to offload and disconnect quickly, 6 days of the week to draw the battery down and then do a "full" charge (full I think-without a gauge to check) of about 6-8 hours once a week. This process may be pointless, but I've been told by accepted local authority that Li-ion batteries need cycling to get something close to a full charge and then full discharge.

A year ago the CEO of a company that sells devices similar to the CMS 50x leaned in and quietly told me the for regular safe charging without buying a $100 'intelligent charger' the pragmatic best bet was to always use a USB 2.0 port to chart the devices.  Charging with the low 500mA being a key to keeping the battery cool during charging and ensure long life.

The Li-Ion batteries can be a high maintenance relationship.   ~"Don't ever fully discharge it, charge it again when it drops to 40%, ideal capacity is 3.9v / cell so stop charging at at what is reported as 70-90% of a full charge, plug it into your laptop and and set your laptop in the refrigerator so the cells stay cool while charging ..."   Oh my!  
Oh-jeez 

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti..._batteries

https://www.comfortzoneyogacenter.com/ty...practices/  

https://batterymanguide.com/lithium-ion-...practices/

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey all,
I'm searching out the Contec CMS-50D pulse ox, only to find AccuMed looks like its very much the same thing? Is one an imposter? Same exact model numbers and descriptions. What's up?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about the Acumed but Contec is frequently re-branded.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look on alibaba, anyone who is willing to buy 1000 units or more can have their own rebranded name modification customized onto the Contecs.
So if you see anyone selling a machine with the letters CMS in the model name... it's probably a customized re-brand.

BTW.. I just ordered a single CMS-50I unit on alibaba and paid for it (along with the credit card transaction fee).  The next day I got a reply saying that they can't sell me one because they have an exclusive deal with a supplier in the USA which prevents them from selling to anyone else in the USA.  It remains to be seen if I get the full refund.  I doubt if I'll get the credit card transaction fee back though.  A few minutes later, the listing was taken down from alibaba.  

Like a fool I then ordered a unit from a different supplier on alibaba... I hope that one doesn't cancel on me too.  Like they say.. insanity is repeating the same behaviors and expecting different results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,212 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 232 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Airsense 10 not recording data Guajiro 3 159 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.