Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need a at home overnight oxygen level monitor/recorder
Need a at home overnight oxygen level monitor/recorder
I would like to record my overnight oxygen level at home when I use CPAP machine. It is better the oxygen level data can be imported into computer.

Could you please recommend me a good at home overnight oxygen level monitor/recorder?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need a at home overnight oxygen level monitor/recorder
(01-16-2016, 03:36 PM)sleep_apnea Wrote: I would like to record my overnight oxygen level at home when I use CPAP machine. It is better the oxygen level data can be imported into computer.

Could you please recommend me a good at home overnight oxygen level monitor/recorder?

I bought my oximeter (see my profile) on eBay and have used it and found it most helpful for about 3 weeks. I suggest googling it (note its ID ends with "i' not "1"). Using its data, along with other allowable variables, my cardiologist cut my heart drug 50%.

I like its having the PI, perfusion index. First, low PI's (<1.4), say when exercising and hands are cold, indicate why spO2 and pulse rates are erratic or not changing in real time with exertion. Second, I've wanted a simple inexpensive device to flag my rolling over when asleep. I think I'm seeing sizeable sustained changes in the general level of maximum PI correlating with irregularities in flow rate and leak--giving indications of roll over (for me if not everyone, I try to switch only from side to side while sleeping). Some reported AHI's are incidental to roll overs, but the converse can probably be true.

It is easy to transfer the non-visible recorded data into Sleepy Head (which, IMO, is far more useful than ResScan I started with).

SH integrates the data amazingly well, but I'm still trying to get oximeter and Airsense times synchronized better as I try both methods SH offers.

Possibly my heart rythmn is too irregular to use it for exercise, a bit of a disappointment. For recording while asleep, no problem.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Aside from oximeters which plug into xPAP machines (which apparently are expensive and/or require prescription) the Contec recording oximeters (CMS50D+, CMS50E, CMS50EW, CMS50F, CMS50FW, CMS50I, and CMS50IW; but not the CMS50K(W) models are the usual choices. The software supplied with the Contec devices only runs on Windows, but SleepyHead uses the drivers downloaded from a chip manufacturers site to read and store the data via USB. I'm not sure if the Bluetooth connection (the W versions) is usable with SleepyHead.
The ChoiceMMed MD300W1 oximeter is also supported, although I have not used it.
There are a couple of smartphone oximeter apps (which require specific attached or BT linked devices) but it is not possible to import their data into SleepyHead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleep_apnea,

Welcome to Apnea Board.

I had a good experience ordering from Supplier #19.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

The kind which is worn on the wrist like a watch with separate finger sensor is more comfortable to wear all night and is less likely to fall off.

I agree that it is helpful to have the third data channel (Perfusion Index, showing how strongly the blood pulses are being picked up by the pulse-oximeter) as a sanity check that the pulse-ox is positioned well and is probably recording good data.

If our pulse-ox does not have the PI channel, I think we can still tell how reasonable the data is by how smoothly - in contrast to how jerkily or noisy with dropouts (times when the recorded data impossibly drops and later jumps back in discontinuous fashion) - the SpO2 and pulse are changing.

If we zoom in to look closely at a minute or two of the data and the graph is changing smoothly, I think the data is probably valid. The data is not valid at the times when it shows large instantaneous jumps from one second to the next.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 75 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 80 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,908 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 455 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 584 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.