Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need a very quiet new APAP with control sw
Need a very quiet new APAP with control sw
My current sandman machine just failed. I would like a recommendation for a very quiet APAP that I can travel with and that I can get software to adjust its levels with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need a very quiet new APAP with control sw
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

There are two good machines you may be interested in.

There is the Philips Respironics System One machine which is very quiet. The other machine is the ResMed S9 Autoset.

As far as software, you can use the open-source software SleepyHead or ResScan software to review and trend your data. Both pieces of software is available HERE. You may need to download the Series 60 patch for SleepyHead for the PR machine.

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there software that lets me control the setting such as the pressure and ramp speed. I purchased it for my current machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The two machines cbramsey mentioned are, by far, the most desirable APAPs.

You can use the ResScan or Sleepy Head software with the ResMed S9 AutoSet; but only Sleepy Head can be used with the PR System One. These programs allow you to view all of the quality of sleep data these two machines collect, allowing you to make informed decisions on any settings changes (both programs are free to download). Settings changes (such as pressure and ramp time etc) can be made right from the controls on the machines and you can get a free copy of the manuals explaining how to access those settings right from this forum.

Be very careful about what exact model the machine is before you buy because both manufacturers have machines with model names that are similar for very different machines. I'm not very familiar with Phillips Respironics; but with ResMed APAPs it is important that the machine is an S9 AutoSet and NOT an S9 Escape Auto (they look exactly the same except for the little model name by the power button). The AutoSet is a vastly superior machine to the Escape Auto, but only slightly more expensive.

I travel all the time with my AutoSet, it packs up easily and comes with a travel case to carry it around in.

Either machine will likely be much, much more quiet than your old machine; but I have read that some believe the PR System One is a little more quiet than the AutoSet.

Sleep-well

EDIT: Not being familiar with the machine you have listed, I looked up the noise levels to compare. According to manufacturer specs the Sandman Duo ST produces 26 dB of noise while the AutoSet produces 24 dB. I couldn't find PRs dB spec for noise on the System One, but they have a paragraph stating that in an independant third-party analysis it is more quiet than the ResMed S9 while being used.

I did notice that the Sandman Duo ST is a Bi-level device. Do you use/need Bi-level?
Post Reply Post Reply
While not a big issue, to clarify:

1. SleepyHead Software - Open Source, works with Windows, Macs & Linux. Supports Philips Respironics System One Machines, ResMed S9 CPAP machines, DeVilbiss Intellipap machines, Contec CMS50 Oximeters. It will only read data, you cannot change CPAP settings from within the software.

2. ResScan Software - Proprietary Software (made by ResMed), works with Windows only. Supports most all newer ResMed machines - but will not work at all with non-ResMed machines. It will read data, and you can change CPAP settings from within the software.

Both are available for free. See THIS PAGE.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It turned out that the bilevel was of no help and I could not get one that was bi-level and auto adjust together.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi stanlori,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What everyone has said so far.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you on your decision as to which machine you get.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2013, 10:31 AM)stanlori Wrote: It turned out that the bilevel was of no help and I could not get one that was bi-level and auto adjust together.

Auto Bi-PAPs are available, but are A LOT more expensive than regular APAPs so it would be a waste of money if bi-level was of no help.

Both of the APAPs mentioned have pressure relief comfort features that if turned on can make the machine decrease pressure on exhale by a little (up to 3 cmH2O). ResMed calls this EPR (Exhalatory Pressure Relief) and Phillips Respironics calls it A-Flex (called C-Flex on straight pressure machines). This is just a "comfort feature" (though many of us find it to be uncomfortable and leave it turned off) and isn't exactly Bi-level, but I suppose it could be used as a kind of "Bi-PAP Lite".

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2013, 07:39 AM)stanlori Wrote: My current sandman machine just failed. I would like a recommendation for a very quiet APAP that I can travel with and that I can get software to adjust its levels with.

Offering this in case I misunderstood your question. You don't need special software to adjust the pressure and ramp setting on the S9 AutoSet. (I don't know about the other machines suggested.) Those capabilities are available in the setup menu. The software (ResScan and SleepyHead) allows you to view the data and see what is happening when you use the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2013, 04:48 PM)aehjr Wrote:
(03-30-2013, 07:39 AM)stanlori Wrote: My current sandman machine just failed. I would like a recommendation for a very quiet APAP that I can travel with and that I can get software to adjust its levels with.

Offering this in case I misunderstood your question. You don't need special software to adjust the pressure and ramp setting on the S9 AutoSet. (I don't know about the other machines suggested.) Those capabilities are available in the setup menu. The software (ResScan and SleepyHead) allows you to view the data and see what is happening when you use the machine.

You can find setup instructions for various CPAP machines at http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
You will also find instructions for requesting clinician's manuals from the board via email. Accessing the setup menu is easy. For most machines, you hold down two buttons for 3-5 seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 108 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 967 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,422 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.