Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advice. CPAP is giving me lung issues.
Exclaimation 
Need advice. CPAP is giving me lung issues.
So I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about five years ago. Began using a resmed with a dream wear mask. Within a week I had developed a lung infection. Took a couple weeks to get better. Tried again to use CPAP around a month after that and within a few days, lung infection again. No one I went to see could explain what was going on. So I stopped out of fear of getting sick again and it's been years.

But I still have sleep apnea. So I decided to try again. Brand new tube, reservoir, filter, mask, the whole lot. Used a humidifier and heated tube, my sleep score was 98 of 100 according to resmed myair. Wore it last night for around nine hours total. My lungs feel awful. Coughing up mucus, irritated feeling that's only gotten worse through the day. My asthma has been exacerbated too, I had to take my rescue inhaler to help with the wheezing.

I don't really know what else could be causing this. My only theory is that because I have GERD, using CPAP somehow allows reflux from the stomach into my lungs. I really don't want to develop pneumonia so I'll be going without CPAP tonight. I wish I could...

Am I alone in this experience? Has anyone else dealt with this problem? What do I do? What are my alternatives? I'm so disheartened, I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice. CPAP is giving me lung issues.
I suppose GERD is one explanation. Lung infection or discomfort is not something we see here much. It would help if you would download the free OSCAR program which would give us a real look at your therapy. The Resmed CPAP has a lot of settings that you may not be using, and My Air is not a very useful tool Do you use EPR? That is exhale pressure relief, and with a pressure of 8, you could have an exhale pressure as low as 5 cm. This wild significantly reduce respiratory effort and discomfort. What is your humidifier set to? Lots of possible ways to improve your therapy comfort, but we need to know the complete picture.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for replying.
Hmm. So it sounds like this isn't a common issue. I've tried to find out more but I've come across very little.

"For a small number of patients, this treatment may expand the stomach slightly, leading to more reflux in some sleep apnea patients."

It looks like OSCAR will work on my PC, which I will have access to tomorrow. I'll download it then and give it a go. 

I think I must have EPR, exhaling is no effort at all. It's comfortable enough that I can almost forget it's running. But opening my mouth makes the air rush out then! Humidity is set at 4 and tube temp 79F. 

I'll be able to give you more information tomorrow once I get OSCAR going.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you mentioned two issues that are certainly candidates to contribute to the problem. Asthma and GERD. Once we see your Oscar data, we can see what kind of tidal volume you have, and whether you are using EPR. Getting good air exchange with minimal effort is important. We can look for opportunities to use low pressure and see if there are events or flow limitations that can make all this worse. While you're at it, let us know what your humidity settings are, whether you used a heated tube and/or fleece tube cover, and the type of mask you are using (Dreamwear covers a lot of models). Believe it or not, the Oscar data and being able to drill down to your breath by breath respiratory flow will allow us to help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi @fezdani . Hope you get some relief soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2021, 08:45 PM)Captain Howdy Wrote: Hi @fezdani . Hope you get some relief soon.

Thank you.

(12-14-2021, 08:40 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, you mentioned two issues that are certainly candidates to contribute to the problem.  Asthma and GERD.  Once we see your Oscar data, we can see what kind of tidal volume you have, and whether you are using EPR.  Getting good air exchange with minimal effort is important. We can look for opportunities to use low pressure and see if there are events or flow limitations that can make all this worse.  While you're at it, let us know what your humidity settings are, whether you used a heated tube and/or fleece tube cover, and the type of mask you are using (Dreamwear covers a lot of models).  Believe it or not, the Oscar data and being able to drill down to your breath by breath respiratory flow will allow us to help.

Quick update, have the SD card from machine, but no SD card reader. Ordering one from Amazon. Will update in a couple days once it's here and I can pull the data with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, my SD card reader finally arrived. I pulled the data I have from my CPAP machine onto OSCAR. Unfortunately, there only seems to be the one night. Which makes sense, since the last time I used it was 2016 before I was forced to stop due to lung infections.
This one night I do have I will share the screenshot of. My lungs felt really bad the day after and my GERD was much worse. I'm still "recovering".

If there's anything else I can share data wise, please let me know.
I myself don't know how to interpret the data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2021, 02:13 PM)Fezdani Wrote: Hi there, my SD card reader finally arrived. I pulled the data I have from my CPAP machine onto OSCAR. Unfortunately, there only seems to be the one night. Which makes sense, since the last time I used it was 2016 before I was forced to stop due to lung infections.
This one night I do have I will share the screenshot of. My lungs felt really bad the day after and my GERD was much worse. I'm still "recovering".

If there's anything else I can share data wise, please let me know.
I myself don't know how to interpret the data.

I forgot to mention, I wore the CPAP for 11 hours and that's recorded, but I slept for 9. I wore it for a couple of hours before sleeping, just getting used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart is only displaying 1 minute of the 11 hours. Look at the bottom left and select the sessions that make up the bulk of your sessions. Don't select any of the "awake" practice sessions.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2021, 02:52 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Your chart is only displaying 1 minute of the 11 hours.  Look at the bottom left and select the sessions that make up the bulk of your sessions.  Don't select any of the "awake" practice sessions.

I'm so sorry for all the bother. I really hope this is working now. I have ADHD and I'm really trying to do what you need me to.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 209 1 hour ago
Last Post: Luka07
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 171 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 863 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.