Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advice before going to bed!
RE: Need advice before going to bed!
Never a dull moment! But it might be worth trying a collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2019, 12:44 PM)Maxmom Wrote: Yes, it is very annoying and NEW. I have never had this before and I have been using c-pap for 10 years.

Did you make any changes that may have caused this problem (e.g. different machine, new or different mask, pressure setting, oral appliances, chin strap)? Given your 10 year history without this problem it seems there must have been some causal change.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
this reply is more commiseration than practical advice.

for 2 years I have had quite good success keeping my lip leaks down using a soft cervical collar. unfortunately leaks have been on the rise. lately I've been waking to just a slight leak around whatever blocks exhale from the mouth and diverts it to the nose. I hear a pre-snore kind of wheeze and my mouth gets dry. air may or may not actually be escaping from my lips, I'm not sure. if it does, I think it's a small amount. swallowing or otherwise moving the back of my throat around fixes it, but of course an undesirable arousal has already occurred.

I have not been able to associate these leaks with pressure. (even so, reducing my max ipap - ps in my case - seems to help a little. I've also kept epap as low as I can for this reason.) my current surmise is that rather than pressure related, these leaks are a consequence of my slowly lengthening sleep sessions. they almost always happen in sessions longer than 3 hours and almost never in shorter ones. more leaks in deeper sleep, when muscle and tissue back there is at it's most relaxed state. it may be that a ffm is the only/best solution (in my case, assuming I can find one that'll work with a beard.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2019, 11:28 AM)Melman Wrote: Unless her profile is wrong, Hydrangea uses an F20 full face mask. Perhaps, although she's trying to help you, the technique may not work for her.

Currently, yes, I use the F20.  

But for at least my first 18 months starting out with CPAP therapy, I used a nasal mask/pillow, so I had to master the tongue suck technique. I'd never slept with my tongue on the roof of my mouth, so it was totally foreign to me. But I picked it up quickly, and it made using a nasal mask/pillow work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2019, 01:27 PM)Melman Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 12:44 PM)Maxmom Wrote: Yes, it is very annoying and NEW. I have never had this before and I have been using c-pap for 10 years.

Did you make any changes that may have caused this problem (e.g. different machine, new or different mask, pressure setting, oral appliances, chin strap)? Given your 10 year history without this problem it seems there must have been some causal change.

Yes, it's a new machine, tonight I am going back to my old one, the S9 until the DME gets me the new 10. The one they sent is a whole other story, wrong machine, wrong settings etc. Same mask though. Wish me luck Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the S9 reports AHI 0.66 for the night HUGE difference from the AHI from the Dream Station of 4.60 to 7.25. What the heck? I will be happy when they take this machine away. Those numbers are normal for me. I might have the tongue thing down as well, but I think I am going to try the Dreamwear Full Face just in case of the mouth thing. It will be good to have that alternate if I get a cold as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI, with a cold/congestion a nasal or in my case a Pillow masks work wonders, You just have to give it time, 5 to 10 minutes is typical, and you will swear that this absolutely will not work (I know, I do) and then the magic of physics takes over, the pressure forces thru and you are clear for the rest of the night.

Remember, it was the gentle drops of water in the rain that fell and formed into the Colorado River and together they carved there way thru solid rock to form the Grand Canyon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2019, 11:06 AM)bonjour Wrote: FYI, with a cold/congestion a nasal or in my case a Pillow masks work wonders, You just have to give it time, 5 to 10 minutes is typical, and you will swear that this absolutely will not work (I know, I do) and then the magic of physics takes over, the pressure forces thru and you are clear for the rest of the night.  

Remember, it was the gentle drops of water in the rain that fell and formed into the Colorado River and together they carved there way thru solid rock to form the Grand Canyon.

I REALLY want to try the Bleep mask. My claustrophobia would be nil with that. I work with the mask I have and the ff was only in case of a cold. BUT this Bleep looks awesome.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 280 1 hour ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 860 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,795 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 78 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 797 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.