Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advice before going to bed!
Need advice before going to bed!
Can someone tell me what to do?  Last night I noticed that my mouth is filling with air while shut, what the heck does that mean? If I breathe in from my nose and keep my mouth shut, it fills up with air and the only way to get rid of it is to let it out exhale from my mouth. I have never encountered this before and it kept me up half the night last night. I tried using a different mask with the same result. I am thinking it might be too much pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice before going to bed!
(08-17-2019, 08:57 PM)Maxmom Wrote: Can someone tell me what to do?  Last night I noticed that my mouth is filling with air while shut, what the heck does that mean?

Air is leaking through the passageway between your tongue and the roof of your mouth. Some people manage to keep this closed off, but some of us can't. A chin strap can help you to train yourself to keep that passageway closed, but the best solution is a full face mask because it makes the pressure on both sides of the passageway the same.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to practice the tongue suck trick (or whatever it's called). Gotta get the back of your tongue to seal closed your mouth, so the air is only going from nose to lungs (not seeping into the mouth).

It happens to me sometimes too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2019, 11:26 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: You need to practice the tongue suck trick (or whatever it's called).  Gotta get the back of your tongue to seal closed your mouth, so the air is only going from nose to lungs (not seeping into the mouth).

I do the thing with the tongue, it is always behind my teeth but it's not helping. I taped last night, still was getting air in my mouth which I still could expel, I changed the pressure down one notch and my AHI was even higher than the night before. Something strange is going on and I don't know what. The leak rate was ok. So frustrated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2019, 11:26 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: You need to practice the tongue suck trick (or whatever it's called).  Gotta get the back of your tongue to seal closed your mouth, so the air is only going from nose to lungs (not seeping into the mouth).

I think I do this tongue thing already, but maybe not correctly?  When in position, it lies about flattish at the hard palate, or even lower behind my upper teeth, is that right? No matter what air seems to escape, even when I taped.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where the front part of your tongue rests is not as important as where the back of your tongue is... sealing your mouth from your throat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a quote from OpalRose from the 5th post on  this thread. The sucking part is the key part.  The tongue at the roof of the mouth is simply the position to be in when sucking. 

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  **Slowly suck upwards and back.**
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Sleepster mentioned, the tongue suck technique does not work for some of us. Taping won't keep air from flowing into your mouth. Reducing your already low pressure will not prevent it and just compromises your therapy. A full face mask may be the only solution. I and many others use full face masks quite comfortably. The AirFit F20 would be a good one to try. Perhaps your DME will let you try several masks at their site. Some accept returns after 30 day trials.

Unless her profile is wrong, Hydrangea uses an F20 full face mask. Perhaps, although she's trying to help you, the technique may not work for her.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It’s a really annoying problem, isn’t it? Do you think maybe your lower jaw is dropping and pulling your tongue out of position? If so, you might benefit from using a soft cervical collar or a firmer anti-snore collar like the Dr. Dakota.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2019, 11:34 AM)Dormeo Wrote: It’s a really annoying problem, isn’t it?  Do you think maybe your lower jaw is dropping and pulling your tongue out of position?  If so, you might benefit from using a soft cervical collar or a firmer anti-snore collar like the Dr. Dakota.

Yes, it is very annoying and NEW. I have never had this before and I have been using c-pap for 10 years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.