Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP chart analysis
APAP chart analysis
Hi, folks,

I've gotten my first glitches with the mask sorted out and the graphs are becoming a bit more consistent. So I am going to attach graphs for three days and I'd kindly ask you to let me know what you t think. 

I started with very open settings min press = 4.4, max press = 20, EPR = 1 (see Graph1). Graph2 picture is a zoom into the timeframe when I had a runaway machine that actually completely woke me up  Unsure and a lot of events. I repeated the same setting on the second night just to get another picture (Graph3). 

[ I guess I can only attach 3 pictures so I'll continue in the next post ]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP chart analysis
On the third night I have decided to raise the min pressure to 8 with EPR = 2 to be more in line with where the machine operated anyway during the night. And the results are attached with zooms into more interesting timeframes.

I'm guessing the neck support is mandatory (still need to get it somewhere). 

What other changes would you suggest? 

Thanks,
Klaus

Post Reply Post Reply
Klaus, your results look better with the minimum pressure at 8.0, and you clearly need to resolve the positional apnea/chin-tuck with a soft cervical collar. I think once that happens, we will see more clearly what minimum pressure range offers the best therapy with minimal pressure fluctuation, however, I'm pretty sure you will be at 9 or 10, and with a higher EPR. EPR at 2 improved some parts of your results. We see some very good quiet sleep between the positional apnea episodes, and that is what we want to focus on as a model for your future therapy. You can see that pressure stabilized near 9.0 cm.

When you zoom into the graph to look at flow rate, try to keep the zoom level near 2-minutes where the flow wave is visible and easily interpreted. We actually learn more by looking at periods of good therapy and sleep, than the periods of apnea, although both can be useful. The only glitch I see in your respiratory statistics is a short expiration time, and we might want to look at that more closely to see what is happening. You should kick ramp to the curb or increase the pressure and reduce time. I see lots of RERA (spikes in the respiratory flow) during ramp. These are because pressure is too low to stabilize the airway at sleep onset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, SleepRider,

Thanks for your feedback. I attached 2 graphs that represent the same time frame when I slept very calmly. 

Quote:You should kick ramp to the curb or increase the pressure and reduce time. I see lots of RERA (spikes in the respiratory flow) during ramp. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence in the quote above. Are you talking about the initial ramp which is suppose to help me falling asleep? I still have it on auto and I can try to change it tonight. Any suggested values? 

Regards,
Klaus

Post Reply Post Reply
Either turn ramp off completely (most of us just don't need it), or increase the minimum pressure of ramp from 4.0 to what you are able to tolerate comfortably. Using Ramp on Auto is fine, but you can still adjust the pressure.

This chart shows a very regular and normal sleep pattern. It runs about 8 minutes so the scale is a bit too long to really see the flow wave, which is why we try to get about 2-minutes in. I see about 16 BPM with a normal time of inspiration and expiration, with a brief pause at zero flow at the end of expiration.  This probably accounts for the reporting error of a shorter expiration time.  Looks good.  Do this all the time and you will have slept well.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21952]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, again, folks,

So, I have gotten my neck support and I raised the minimum pressure. I have also incresed the ERP = 3. I can't say I'm sleeping well -- I wake up at night. Attached is the typical pattern: A couple of times a night the machine simply "runs away" to max or substantially higher pressure.  The pressure jumps so rapidly that it wakes me up because my mask is trying to fly off my face  Smile . And later in the night I have periods when I wake up occasionally for no good reason. I would say my sleep is shallow. 

The good thing is that I don't wake up with headaches and other typical apnea symptoms anymore like . But sleep is not good. I have attached the whole night graph and the zoom-ins of the run away periods. I you'd need to see other periods, feel free to ping me and I'll upload.

Any suggestions how to improve the situation? Or do I simply need to get used to it? 

Thanks,
Klaus

Post Reply Post Reply
Klaus, set a maximum pressure of 13 or 14 cm. This will avoid the run-away and is well within your effective therapy range.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 318 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,394 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 234 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 553 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.