Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advice/help [drooling into FFM]
Need advice/help [drooling into FFM]
Hi All,

I am a side sleeper and because of this I drool during sleep. During the night I turn and grossly all the saliva goes everywhere and wakes me up. I bought a Pad-a-cheek liner in the hope that would help the problem, only I had to tighten the mask soo much to stop it leaking that I actually blocked my nose and gave me headaches and even then I couldn't stop it leaking.

I tried to sleep on my back it was OK and drooling stopped but my AHI shot up to 26. I have now tried to put an absorbent cloth inside the mask but it has to be big enough so I don't choke on it and once again it caused my AHI to shoot up.

Does anyone have any experience with this or possible solutions? It is getting to the point where I only last a few hours a night before I rip the mask off.

I live in Australia and no one will rent out just the mask without paying for a full study, which I don't need.

I have an Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with Airfit F20.

thanks in advance,
Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice/help
I am still experimenting with it myself, but it sounds like a nasal mask and additional chin strap may solve your problem (and likely be more comfortable). I have noticed on some rights, I can roll over towards my stomach, and my mouth flops open (aside from drool, I then air leak like mad). I used a strap last night, and didn't have an issue, but I know one knight does not make a pattern..
Post Reply Post Reply
It isn't the side sleeping that is causing the drool, it is your mouth being open (or perhaps some other reason for you having an excess of saliva). I suspect that you are only seeing it when sleeping on your side because otherwise it is going down your throat.

For this reason, I think the solution lies in finding a way to keep your mouth closed. I don't think a change in mask is going to help.

I would also consider consulting your dentist. Perhaps there is some structural reason (or something) for the drool.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds funny but a poise microlinners under the lowe4 edge of your mask it wotks.
Post Reply Post Reply
This ^^ sounds like it might work....thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting problem. Many of us have just the opposite--dry mouth--to contend with. I hope you can find the solution--or the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
search the forum for those with nasal masks and mouth breathe, they sometimes use micropore tape on their mouth. It may be a last resort to you?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice/help [drooling into FFM]
I have the F20 FFM and do quite a lot of side sleeping because of various spinal issues. I do occasionally still back sleep, but I tend to flip from left to back to right, and repeat. How often? No clue. Anyway, while side sleeping, I have a tendency to drool sometimes as well. Not a lot, and not much recently either, but there was just enough to be a nuisance. I believe that for me it's caused by the mouth opening. My mouth does not open enough to cause mask leaks, but just enough to leak the saliva onto the downside cheek.

I will note that this whole drooling thing for me seems to be subsiding the more adjusted to the hoser lifestyle I become. But Dave, you've been using your ASV for a few months now. Yeah OK but I used to not use a hose and mask for 46 years, give or take a few months. Opinionated Dave says maybe more time getting accustomed to being a hoser helps.

Otherwise Dont-know
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You know what they say...
Dogs rule, cats drool.

[Image: 201504232251539946.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Brad and welcome to the forum, you came to the right place for help. My experience somewhat parallels that of Sarcastic Dave, My drooling events are not frequent but they also are not fun. Seems like I may be learning to keep my mouth closed most of the time, I am a 99.9% left side sleeper and have some allergy issues from time to time. Also, any trace of a head cold seems to cause drooling, again the open mouth is the culprit. I have not seen much to indicate that a pad or anything like that is much help but keep trying things, you might find some help.

I was having a rash on the back of my neck where the headgear makes contact, finally found that a folded wash cloth under the headgear took care of that problem for me. Good luck in finding what works for you and work on sleeping with your mouth closed. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 176 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,543 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 465 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 291 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,029 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 188 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.