Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advice on how to improve results
Wink 
Need advice on how to improve results
Trying to figure out best settings for my new dreamstation cpap.  Been on cpap over 20 years and now trying to learn how to understand the data. ahi number has been from just over 4 to 15  Going to try to attach data for any help I can get.  Will watch my replies to see if I am even posting this correctly.  Thanks  Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: need advice on how to improve results
Welcome to the forum. The clustering of your apneas suggests positional apneas resulting from tucking your chin to your chest. This is usually resolved by using a soft cervical collar. They can be purchased at any pharmacy for around $10. i like the OTC collar sold on Amazon since it comes in a good selection of sizes.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You have a very strong indication of Positional Apnea.  In addition to the loose-fitting Soft Cervical collar an anti-snoring collar or wedge will also do the job.
Post Reply Post Reply
Melman was the same when he joined the forum. You're in good hand with someone that has had your same experience. A soft cervical collar will not only reduce your apnea, it's gong to lower your pressure requirements.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board ybcold.

I agree with the above suggestion, try the soft collar. I would stay away from the spike designed versions though. Oh, there's other items you can consider trying, such as special pillows, etc., but let's keep it simple and get the collar to see the results.

Best to ya on your successful treatment.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.  Very grateful for the advice.  I did go dig a old pillow out of the closet that is 2 inch foam
and that helped.  Still had some clustering showing this morning but now have a thin sculptured memory foam pillow to try for tonight and also got a soft collar to try tonight as well.  I have learned a lot from sleepyhead and will stick with it.  Just need more practice using it. Will make a donation today as a way of saying thanks.  Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with a buckwheat chaff pillow which can be configured to keep my head in the same position and prevent chin tucking. It immediately took care of my positional apneas. The disadvantages are that it requires sleeping in the same position all night and costs $50 or more. I find that the soft collar allows me to use any pillow and to sleep in various positions with no positional apnea clusters. It also prevents my mouth from opening and sometimes breaking the bottom seal of my F20 FF mask.

As soon as you see improvement in the event clusters I suggest you post more Sleepyhead charts so some of the chart gurus like Sleeprider can advise you on optimizing your pressure settings.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
advice??
From previous post advice was to try a cervical collar. I did. First two nights were not good and now this is third night and have no idea what this indicates.  Your advice is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: advice??
Sorry for the slow response but I reviewed your previous thread. (Always a good idea to keep things in one thread so your history is all together).
Well done on resolving your positional apnea.  The issue here is RERA (Respiratory Effort Related Arousals) also known as also known as Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS).
Assuming this is a typical night I would raise your minimum pressure by 1 cmw and see if this is reduced.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice on how to improve results
Moderator note: the two threads have been merged.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 155 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 515 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 724 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 183 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.