Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

Need advice re: Nuvigil
I have discussed my friend before that has severe apnea. She recently had a car accident where she dozed off even though she's using her machine and her results are typically good. The only problem I could see the day of her accident was for some reason she only used the machine 3 hours that night.

Fast forward to now: As a result of the accident she went to see her sleep doc again, who decided to also put her on "Nuvigil."

One night using the Nuvigil, the next day I get calls from two other ladies very concerned. One had lunch with her, then decided to follow her home because she couldn't stay awake to eat her lunch. She honked her horn all the way home in an attempt to keep our friend awake. Guilt ridden for letting her even drive, she called me. I dispatched another friend to check on her last evening who said she was hungry, so she took her to dinner, but she couldn't eat her meal and almost burned herself with the coffee.

Finally I have heard from my friend personally. I told her to contact her regular doc immediately and not take anymore Nuvigil until she does that.

I do know my friend is Bi-polar, and takes anti-depressants.

What I'm looking for is does anyone have experience with Nuvigil that can confirm or deny my thought that this could be exacerbating an already serious problem?

Thanks folks...
03-14-2015 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
truetopath Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PR system one 560p auto with a flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resumed F10
Humidifier: PR system one
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Need advice re: Nuvigil
I've had patients on Nuvigil before and I know in the elderly ones we had to monitor blood pressure and heart rate somewhat closely. I'm not sure the age of your friend, but perhaps Nuvigil is not getting metabolized as quickly as it should, or a real possibility could be an interaction with the antidepressants and bipolar meds. She should see her doc asap.
03-14-2015 02:42 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Thanks True. I told her to get on the phone to her GP straightaway and to not take anymore of the Nuvigil until she spoken with him. Also told her to stay home, not to even think about driving anywhere, just play with her dog for now.

I'm not a big fan of taking meds. But I do quite a lot of them for the COPD stuff. But I'm really not comfortable with taking stuff that messes with my brain things. Except for the Hydrocodone I'm taking for my zapped rib........ Come to think of it, I do take a lot of drugs. I think I'll just go play with my puppies.
03-14-2015 03:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
truetopath Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PR system one 560p auto with a flex
Mask Make & Model: Resumed F10
Humidifier: PR system one
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Need advice Nuvigil
(03-14-2015 03:21 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Thanks True. I told her to get on the phone to her GP straightaway and to not take anymore of the Nuvigil until she spoken with him. Also told her to stay home, not to even think about driving anywhere, just play with her dog for now.

I'm not a big fan of taking meds. But I do quite a lot of them for the COPD stuff. But I'm really not comfortable with taking stuff that messes with my brain things. Except for the Hydrocodone I'm taking for my zapped rib........ Come to think of it, I do take a lot of drugs. I think I'll just go play with my puppies.

Definitely sound advice to hold the Nuvigil and contact the doc. Enjoy the puppies!
03-14-2015 03:24 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Great stuff. Supposed to keep you awake; but comes with a warning:
"Nuvigil may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert."

A friend recently fell asleep at the wheel in daytime in a very desolate area.
His problem was lack of sleep -- but due to congestive heart failure.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-16-2015 09:49 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie - need advice on settings and machine tmc712 18 375 12-06-2016 09:04 PM
Last Post: tmc712
  Need full face mask advice Bob32256 12 666 12-06-2016 04:37 PM
Last Post: Zippo
  advice for diagnosis steps to take odoyle 14 549 12-05-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 242 12-02-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  ADVICE ON THIS DATA Gazz 3 267 11-21-2016 11:13 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  new user wants advice Gazz 3 236 11-19-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Advice needed for struggling CPAP user Fubblin 35 1,983 11-18-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider