Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advice..set my own pressure or wait?
Need advice..set my own pressure or wait?
I had bariatric surgery after getting put on a Resmed S9 Autoset.

I have lost over 66lbs since surgery and the more weight I lose, the more I feel like my pressure is too high. I wake up with a stomach full of air and also it seems that the CPAP is pushing air thru my now much shorter intestinal track.

I had an appt. with my sleep Dr. yesterday and she wants to do another sleep study/in office titration to determine if my pressure should be lowered. They told me it could be up to 5 weeks before Cigna will authorize another study.

For whatever reason, she has my machine set fixed at 16 and does not use the auto-set function of the machine.

Last night for a test, I set my machine to Autoset with a 10-16 range. I looked at the data this morning and the machine only got to a high pressure of 12. The AHI last night was 0.66 and leaks were 0.

So do I just wait and suffer with the high pressure or do I change this thing permanently myself?

I can tell you that my Dr. pulls the data each trip to her office and I think it will tell on me if I do change it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice..set my own pressure or wait?
You seem to have found machine settings that are working well for you. It's your health. I adjusted my own pressure, so I'd say go with it. YMMV.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Brantel, Welcome to the Forum. You have come to the right place for help and information.
Unfortunately I am a relative newcomer so would not even dream offering any advice, EXCEPT, I know any help you will receive from our more experienced members will be spot on.
Good luck.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 03:40 PM)brantel Wrote: For whatever reason, she has my machine set fixed at 16 and does not use the auto-set function of the machine.

Last night for a test, I set my machine to Autoset with a 10-16 range. I looked at the data this morning and the machine only got to a high pressure of 12. The AHI last night was 0.66 and leaks were 0.
In my opinion with or without the surgery an autoset range is a better option than having fixed pressure all night especially if high pressure is prescribed. The doctor should be pleased with such good results. btw, to whom, she is going to tell on you ... CPAP police

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 03:40 PM)brantel Wrote: I had bariatric surgery after getting put on a Resmed S9 Autoset.

I have lost over 66lbs since surgery and the more weight I lose, the more I feel like my pressure is too high. I wake up with a stomach full of air and also it seems that the CPAP is pushing air thru my now much shorter intestinal track.

I had an appt. with my sleep Dr. yesterday and she wants to do another sleep study/in office titration to determine if my pressure should be lowered. They told me it could be up to 5 weeks before Cigna will authorize another study.

For whatever reason, she has my machine set fixed at 16 and does not use the auto-set function of the machine.

So do I just wait and suffer with the high pressure or do I change this thing permanently myself?

I can tell you that my Dr. pulls the data each trip to her office and I think it will tell on me if I do change it.

I commend you for having the courage to have the bariatric surgery.
I did not have the courage to do it; even after having a workup for it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 04:02 PM)zonk Wrote: btw, to whom, she is going to tell on you ... CPAP police

Sorry for the confusion...the CPAP is going to tell on me when she pulls the data...

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't believe you need to worry about changing the setting range; if your body really needs 16 cm then the your range setting will allow it. Your sleep doc should be happy that you no longer need such a high constant pressure. Unless the doc is willing to pay for the new sleep test, she should be able to rely on the data from SleepyHead or ResScan.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never understood why someone would prescribe an Autoset machine and then manually set the pressure. The machine is used in Auto to titrate so why not let it titrate on a continual basis? smh....doctors! Dont-know

Yes, your machine will in fact tell on you when she pulls the data. This means you have to make a decision on whether you want to take charge of your healthcare rather than be a bystander or not. If you wish to take charge, one of the things that comes with that is letting the doctor know you have decided to take charge. If that doc does not agree, you need a new doc. This is just my opinion. My doctor knows that I have no problem at all telling him "no" and telling him what we will do instead. As long as I have a well thought out reason that is based on best medical practices, he just does what he is told.
Good luck!
Mike Sleep-well
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
No doctor should do what they are told. They are the doctor and if they aren't doing things to treat the patient in the best possible way and the patient has to tell them what to do, it is time to find another doc. Those kinds of docs are what patients want to go to if they want scripts for meds they really don't need and things like that.

That being said, if you are suffering as you describe and your doc hasn't done anything to try and alleviate the issues, then trying a different pressure and having a pressure range isn't going to hurt you as long as it is sufficient to help through any events. I would leave the pressure where you have it right now for a week or two and watch your data and then you will have documentation of the pressure being too high. If your doc won't listen to you, find another one.

Congrats on your weight loss
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 03:40 PM)brantel Wrote: I had bariatric surgery after getting put on a Resmed S9 Autoset.
I had an appt. with my sleep Dr. yesterday and she wants to do another sleep study/in office titration to determine if my pressure should be lowered. They told me it could be up to 5 weeks before Cigna will authorize another study. For whatever reason, she has my machine set fixed at 16 and does not use the auto-set function of the machine.

Your doctor will certainly see that you changed the pressure. Were I in your shoes I would call the doctor and tell her that you are having problems with the 16 cm. setting and that you have changed it to 10-16 cm., and that your AHIs are only 0.66. That way it is not a surprise when the doc sees your data, and if your doc has legitimate issues with what you have done, she can call you back. If she doesn't call back, don't worry about it.

One way or another you need to get the doc to understand that you intend to take charge yourself. You have to do this sooner or later, so you may as well just do it now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 161 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 246 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 142 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 76 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 782 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.