Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need an answer why?
Need an answer why?
As a mouth breather I use a full face mask. I'm on Auto at 17/19. Over the course of a month or so I've encountered a weird situation at least to me. I've tried using the mask two different ways. To stop my mouth breathing I use cloth surgical tape over my mouth. I get AHI readings around 1.5. However, it is harder for me to breathe with the tape through my nose. When I don't use the tape I breathe better but my AHI goes up. Last night I didn't use the tape and it was 5.5.

The breathing issue happens immediately when I turn on my APAP. Without tape I keep my mouth shut at least before I fall asleep and my breathing is normal which make me believe the tape is screwing up the physics going on with the air pressure. Why my AHI goes up without tape is a mystery to me. I have no masks leaks.

I am using a Flex of 2. I was thinking of trying 3 but doesn't that also lessen the air pressure?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need an answer why?
What type of events are increasing your AHI?  You might try posting a daily chart of each of a tape night and a non tape night.  Also, try Googling: "breathing through your nose".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post SleepyHead charts so you can get help evaluating the problem. Maybe one taped and the other not.

It’s possible the issue is mask leaks or positional. It will be clear from charts.

Why are you using an FFM if you don’t want to breathe through your mouth?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is close enough to the maximum capability of your machine that bilevel might not be a bad choice. An alternative to taping might also be the soft cervical collar. It tends to put enough pressure on the back of the jaw to encourage a closed mouth without the discomfort and weirdness of taping. As suggested above, we will be glad to offer any help or perspective we can, if you post some data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  UARS/FL (PLMS): Yellow/R Lights For So Many Lingering Folks_“Is Bilevel the Answer?" mper6794 107 16,106 06-22-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  Unable to get answer from Apria re: new AirSense 10 Autoset Plmnb 36 4,029 12-29-2019, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  My answer? Dreamwear FFM is coming CZOscar 29 5,484 04-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Steve.G
  My answer to camping / backup problem bige94 16 11,377 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Last Post: AC Hunter
Ohmy Leaks! A question with no answer Walla Walla 0 919 08-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  And the answer may be Beej 0 1,045 01-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Beej

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.