Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need battery operated CPAP for camping
RE: Need battery operated CPAP for camping
(03-30-2012, 10:51 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something too... but I understood her to mean that she wanted a way to use her old pre-2007 REMstar CPAP with a 12 volt battery. All she needs for that is a 12-volt deep-cycle battery and the 12 volt Respironics cord that you can purchase online, as described in this post.

The old REMstars have a separate input power jack for 12 volt power. They can be operated with 12-volt power directly without the need for a transformer or power inverter. The transformer is built into the machine itself, which is one of the reasons I call my old REMstar Pro "The Tank" - it's huge, heavy and built like a tank.
Okay
i've been framed by the dust bunnies. the little hole directly above the 120v plug hole was stuffed with dust so bad that it looked like insulation so i never thought it could be a place to plug in a transformer. a blast of air in the hole changed my thinking. plugging a 12v source into it proved you are right. i've had this thing since 2001 so in the beginning i may have known that was a power hole and forgot. sorry for any confusion, folks.
Oh-jeez
I've finally done it. the first documented case ever of me being wrong, in this thread at least.

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
marked it on my calendar.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I've read, a car battery ought to last three nights, especially if there's no humidifier. If it were me, I'd consider buying a new battery for the vehicle, install it, and bring the old one along for your CPAP. That way, if something goes wrong, I'd have the new battery as a back up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2012, 10:51 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something too... but I understood her to mean that she wanted a way to use her old pre-2007 REMstar CPAP with a 12 volt battery. All she needs for that is a 12-volt deep-cycle battery and the 12 volt Respironics cord that you can purchase online, as described.

The old REMstars have a separate input power jack for 12 volt power. They can be operated with 12-volt power directly without the need for a transformer or power inverter. The transformer is built into the machine itself, which is one of the reasons I call my old REMstar Pro "The Tank" - it's huge, heavy and built like a tank.

(03-31-2012, 09:38 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: Okay
i've been framed by the dust bunnies. the little hole directly above the 120v plug hole was stuffed with dust so bad that it looked like insulation so i never thought it could be a place to plug in a transformer. a blast of air in the hole changed my thinking. plugging a 12v source into it proved you are right. i've had this thing since 2001 so in the beginning i may have known that was a power hole and forgot. sorry for any confusion, folks.
Oh-jeez
I've finally done it. the first documented case ever of me being wrong, in this thread at least.

I would much prefer to take my old cpap machine, so it is wonderful news that I'll be able to do that by plugging a 12v source into it. Now I just need to figure out how to recharge the 12v battery so it will last 3 nights if that is possible. Thank-you all for your help!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased a 12 volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery that weighs about 7 pounds which I use with a cigarette adapter to power my respironics cpap when I'm backpacking or camping or traveling where I don't have an outlet to hook up to. I can generally get 4 to 5 nights out of a single charge. The model number for the unit I purchased is ow-12-c266 made by owell industries if you want to research it on the internet. Enjoy your camping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, that's good to know! That it lasts that long! Wow!

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2012, 08:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Oh, that's good to know! That it lasts that long! Wow!

the only 2 places i saw that showed a price were $236 and $289. i'm thinking of hurricane season and think a gas generator would be more cost effective than buying 2 of them. actually sleeping in the car post high winds would be better yet. the very high winds only last a few hours, but the power could be out for days.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I saw the price, too. I can get a decent small generator for that. I don't go camping but we do lose electricity a lot lately. It's such a new fangled thing in these parts. /sarcasm
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, good to know that it lasts that long....I've been debating plunking down money for one of those.

Figuring that something that would probably be easier to get on in my carry on than a 55Ah AGM Deep Cycle battery....or just carry in general.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2012, 08:48 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: i'm thinking of hurricane season and think a gas generator would be more cost effective than buying 2 of them. actually sleeping in the car post high winds would be better yet. the very high winds only last a few hours, but the power could be out for days.

I plan to rely on a car battery when the next hurricane comes around. That way I can recharge it by sticking it back in the car.

We had Alicia in 1983 and then Ike in 2008. May it be another quarter century before we have a power outage like that again. They each lasted at least a week, maybe 10 days, if I remember correctly.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 9 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 622 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,437 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,497 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.