Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need battery operated CPAP for camping
RE: Need battery operated CPAP for camping
(04-14-2012, 01:34 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: if you're an electrician you won't like this. i've seen many people do this. have a generator in a vented area outside of the house so there are no C0 problems. use a double male heavy wire extension cord to run from the generator to an electrical outlet.

I'm not an electrician, and I've seen many people do it. It's illegal, but like they say, whose gonna catch you during a storm?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2012, 06:28 PM)JumpStart Wrote: I forget the name of the type of a/c I have in the garage room, but it is not a window unit. The condenser sits next to my house condensers, and the unit hangs inside on the wall in my garage room.

Those are much quieter than the window units, but they are a permanent installation. A lot of people around here just pop a window unit into their bedroom window and plug it into a generator.

Quote:Just noticed you are also from Houston, Sleepster. Speaking of hurricanes, keep your fingers crossed for the coming season!

I always do! After Rita in 2005 and Ike in 2008 we are finally getting back to that normal expectation that maybe we won't get one this year.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rita, the forgotten storm. Did more damage than Katrina but without the televised drama of New Orleans.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2012, 08:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-14-2012, 01:34 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: if you're an electrician you won't like this. i've seen many people do this. have a generator in a vented area outside of the house so there are no C0 problems. use a double male heavy wire extension cord to run from the generator to an electrical outlet.

I'm not an electrician, and I've seen many people do it. It's illegal, but like they say, whose gonna catch you during a storm?
it's illegal to plug something in, in your own home? never heard that before. i don't doubt ya, just never heard of it.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2012, 11:28 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: it's illegal to plug something in, in your own home? never heard that before. i don't doubt ya, just never heard of it.

I think the reasoning behind this is because if someone would inadvertently switch the house Main breaker switch back on while the generator is still attached and running, it could send high voltage back through the electrical lines and electrocute the electrical line workers who might be working on and handling downed power lines after the storm.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2012, 11:28 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: it's illegal to plug something in, in your own home? never heard that before. i don't doubt ya, just never heard of it.

It's called back-feeding. It's dangerous, and hence it's illegal.

It's illegal to plug other things in, too, like small pets, or even full-grown people. Rolleyes

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Its also illegal for hardware stores to sell you a male-to-male electrical cord too....so don't bother asking them about it.

You'll just have to make you're own.

There was an article in the paper about it.... after the icepocalyse...when people were going two states away to find generators, and such. Most of my co-workers were without power for a week or more. I was only without power for about 18 hours....guess its good that I have underground service and I live 3 blocks from the hospital.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I live 60 miles away from the coast, above the Lake Houston dam, at an elevation of about 70 feet. After Hurricane Ike in 2008 we were without electricity for about 10 days. My friend lives in Texas City, only a few feet above sea level and a couple miles from the coast, but his apartment is directly across the street from a substation. He was without power for about 18 hours, too.

The eye of the storm pretty much passed right over both our homes.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Why dont you go for biolite camp stove...
It help you to charge your cellphones and also help you cook something...Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 5 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 627 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,438 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,500 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.