Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need battery operated CPAP for camping
RE: Need battery operated CPAP for camping
(04-25-2012, 07:34 AM)groanwow Wrote: Why dont you go for biolite camp stove...
It help you to charge your cellphones and also help you cook something...Bigwink

The biolite camp stove looks like a handy gadget to have. It doesn't look like it would last 7 hrs though to power my cpap all night unless I stayed awake to keep adding twigs to it. That kind of defeats the purpose of the though!

I did end up buying the set up to use with a marine deep cell battery. I'll buy the battery once we're up there since I don't want to haul it on the plane. Is there a way to recharge the battery from the car or a solar panel as someone else suggested? We're going to be camping for 3 nights and I don't' think the battery will last that long without being recharged. I can't find how to do it on the internet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deep cell batteries need to be charged differently than car batteries. When you look into chargers, make sure it can handle both.

Go to any car parts store and ask them what they have.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 08:32 AM)shutterbug sue Wrote: I did end up buying the set up to use with a marine deep cell battery. I'll buy the battery once we're up there since I don't want to haul it on the plane. Is there a way to recharge the battery from the car or a solar panel as someone else suggested? We're going to be camping for 3 nights and I don't' think the battery will last that long without being recharged. I can't find how to do it on the internet.

You could just buy a spare car battery, swap it back and forth in your car, or charge it by connecting to you car via jumper cables or the cigarrete lighter socket. The only diference in a marine battery is that it has thicker internal lead plates to make it last longer in deep charging cycles, as opposed to the shallow charging cycles typical of a car battery. For a few nights camping once or twice a ear, it ain't gonna make any difference.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the real cost of the connection, it is better and safer to add a small secondary electrical box with the specific lines that you would want to power with a changover switch to move the second panel from outside power to generator. Yes it costs a bit but you and your loved ones will be safe. It is a lot cheaper than an automatic system especially if you only have a manual generator like I do.

If you try the double male plug you are totally liable for anything that happens and your insurance will not cover any damage. I am an experimenter.inventor but I would not have a double male electrical cord in my house just in case someone thought that it was an extension cord.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just did a search on the unit that I think that you have and it appears that the AC power cord can be removed from the unit (it unplugs) and a Universal 12 Volt DC Power Cord can be plugged into the DC connector on the back.
You should be able to find one at a Radio Shack or similar store and they could confirm the plug and polarity of the connector (though universal normally means that it is + to the center and - to the outside and is the most common plug size, so it should be quite cheap). Any automotive store would sell a clip on accessory socket for the cord to plug into (and it would provide a connection point if you use a car type solar cell).
There are many 12 volt solar cell chargers that would normally be used for cars that would extend the life of the battery in the wilds (and at home).

Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that the Battery Geek style battery available on various websites are worth the money I spent because of their size, reasonable weight, and the ability to take them in a backpack, on a plane, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find myself in the same situation. I've gone on several two-nighter camping trips. I wake up often and toss and turn. I tend to be able to get enough sleep to function and even drive home.

I have a week-long camping trip coming up in July the Royal Rangers Nat'l Camporama. The very first time I've done a week long overnight outing.

From what I've read I've decided to go with a marine deep cycle battery. I will need a solar panel to charge each.

I'd like to know what size marine battery to buy?

I need to know what the lowest wattage solar panel I should buy to charge it with? I've checked into: Sunforce Solar Battery Maintainer - 1.8 Watts / 125 mAh, Sunforce Solar 12 Volt Battery Trickle Charger - 5 Watts / 350 mAh, or the Sunforce 15 Watt Solar 12V Battery Charger - 15 Watts / 1 Amp. I am thinking I should go with the last one that states 1 amp.

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
The bigger the battery, the better. Unless weight is a consideration.

Will you use a heated humidifier while camping? If so, it'll require a lot of extra energy.

I don't know about the size of the charger.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 03:07 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The bigger the battery, the better. Unless weight is a consideration.

Will you use a heated humidifier while camping? If so, it'll require a lot of extra energy.

I don't know about the size of the charger.

To be on safe side I'll go with the largest one in the solar panels.

No humidifier my cpap doesn't have one.

If I understand what I've researched so far is that a deep cycle battery rated at 50 amp hour with an 80% discharge will run my .9 amp cpap for approximately 40 hours? Given that 40 is 80% of 50 and my device rating is rounded up to 1 amp.
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>>Thank-you for the information. I'm kind of bummed that this option won't work for my old machine.>>>>>

I have an old REMStar Pro. After a lot of searching for myself for months so I could boondock in AZ, I came across this item at Cabelas dot com. Search Goal Zero Escape 150 Products

The description says:

Looking for a power source for camping, having a party in the backyard or for emergency back up? Goal Zero has you covered with its Escape 150 Explorer Kit. The practical and powerful Escape 150 gives you a wall plug on the go. Perfect for powering up medium-sized appliances, LCD tvs and portable devices including: cell phones, laptops, cameras, portable DVD players, fans, radios and CPAP machines. Recharge the Escape 150 from Goal Zero’s Escape 30 Solar Panel or power up from a regular wall outlet to be used whenever or wherever you need it. And don’t worry, there are backup and replaceable fuses to protect from power surges. Also there is a built-in temperature control and fuse systems to ensure safety and long-term performance. No need to hold back because this is your independent power source on or off the grid. Built-in LED monitor tells you the power level in 20% increments. Solar panel recharges power pack in about 5-10 hours. Add an additional solar panel and cut recharge time in half. Use with USB, 12V and AC outputs. Built in 80-watt inverter.

Regards,
Nancy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 98 2 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,822 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 626 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,438 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,499 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.