Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need clarification on ResMed models
Need clarification on ResMed models
To replace the Philips DS1 Auto CPAP with a correct comparable ResMed model, I need to confirm the best comparable ResMed models. The paperwork from the DME mentions 'CPAP machine' and I asked them to verify which exact ResMed model before signing. Verbally they said ResMed AirCurve but I don't do verbal, need everything written.

OK models:
AirSense 10 Models: AirSense 10 AutoSet and For Her. I'm more interested in the former.
AirCurve 10 Models: AirCurve 10 VAuto.

Not ok/not applicable to me:
AirSense 10 CPAP and Elite (fixed pressure machines)
AirCurve 10 S (fixed pressure bi-level)
AirCurve 10 ASV (for individual breathing patterns, central SA)

Is my understanding correct?

My objective is I don't want to be stuck with a fixed pressure only ResMed CPAP machine. I want to have the flexibility of the auto-adjusting option. Thankful for this forum!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need clarification on ResMed models
I don't know the DS1 models. But, yes, you are correct about your list of ResMed models. The AutoSet for Her just has an additional algorithm available over the AutoSet and the case is light gray with leaves rather than black. So it is a more capable machine -- if you need that extra algorithm. Otherwise, it's the same (except for the case color).

The AirCurve 10 VAuto is a bi-level machine which is more flexible. It is more expensive and, if you are using insurance, often takes jumping through a few more hoops to get it approved.

Personally, I use a VAuto because I needed more pressure support and other adjustments than I could get with my AutoSet for Her.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You want the one with Autoset in the name. The ResMed model that is the “equivalent” to the Phillips Dream station 1 is ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset

Edited thanks Guy.
The air curve is a ASV machine. I am sure others will comment. Why would you need a ASV. Maybe they don’t have a Airsense 10 Autoset.  There is a huge shortage due to the recall.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
No, the "AirCurve 10 VAuto" is not an ASV machine. The ASV machine is the "AirCurve 10 ASV."
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 2 you want:

airsense S10 AUTOSET

OR

AIRCURVE S10 VAUTO
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for a quick reply, appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The other comment is on the Elite (I understand you do not want a fixed pressure CPAP)
Elite is a Fixed Pressure CPAP machine that has Detailed data. This machine Is compatible with OSCAR. IMHO either AutoSet is preferred over this model.

CPAP, this is the low-end model, it does not have detailed data, not for you, not for your doctor, and not for OSCAR. AVOID this model at all costs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Gideon, very helpful information to know.

The DME hasn't replied which model it would be... Looking online.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was wrong about the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her, I'm definitely considering that one as well. What threw me off was I read somewhere that it treats mild to moderate apnea and in my mind I associated it with 'not for me', since I have severe sleep apnea. But after reading more about it, it definitely could handle my apnea, since my prescribed CPAP pressure is 6 (subject to be optimized and tweaked). I have also come across information (on ResMed's website and elsewhere) about OSA behaving differently in women and this machine seems to address that.
Post Reply Post Reply
AirCurve is the name for Resmed BiPAP/BiLevel devices.

The AirCurve Vauto probably can do the same treatment as the AirSense Auto if you program it that way.  It will be able to have a larger difference between inhale and exhale pressure. 

In the old days, "CPAP" or "APAP" machines gave you the same pressure for inhale and exhale.  "BiPAP"  gave you a lower pressure on exhale. 

Most modern CPAP or APAP machines have some form of exhale pressure relief.  The BiPAP machines are usually the same hardware, just programmed differently.  The medical mafia conspires to charge you more money for the same machine by regulating the level of pressure relief that you get and charging you more for a "BiPAP" machine.

ASV is a form of bilevel, but with a considerably different algorithm and much higher prices for the same hardware.  An ASV machine would probably be able to do APAP if programmed that way, but I haven't actually checked for the AirCurve 10 ASV.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dumb Question - Just nervous and want some clarification kc90 5 309 02-09-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,796 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 367 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  [Admin Note] Rules clarification/addition SuperSleeper 1 471 01-24-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Seeking Clarification on EPR RER9372 2 433 08-17-2023, 05:39 PM
Last Post: RER9372
  Flow Rate Value Clarification in OSCAR cmpman1974 8 1,691 03-18-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  New ResMed Models steve823 10 1,415 03-08-2022, 11:28 PM
Last Post: steve823

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.