GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Need computer help.........
I'm obviously not tech savvy or I would not be asking for help with my computer. Somehow I've managed to download something that I don't want on my computer, but I've tried many things that did not work - to get rid of it. I don't wish to offend anyone by my request, but I want to get rid of Yahoo search engine. It does not suit my needs, which are simple. I do general browsing and email a few friends. Right now it is like my computer is paralyzed. I am able to connect to the Internet but that is about it.

I run Windows 7, HP desktop and my PC is about 3-4 years old. Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
01-10-2016 04:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

RE: Need computer help.........
GrammaBear,

Which browser are you using (Chrome, Firefox, IE)? Most of them have an option to select what your default search engine is. For example, in Chrome, you click on the 3 bars on the top right of the screen and then scroll down to Settings. This should bring up the Settings tab. Partway down (4th item on my Mac version) is a section for Search where you can select which search engine you want to us. Simply click there and select the one you want.

If this isn't what you are looking for, please post back and we can go from there.

Homer
01-10-2016 07:16 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(01-10-2016 07:16 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  GrammaBear,

Which browser are you using (Chrome, Firefox, IE)? Most of them have an option to select what your default search engine is. For example, in Chrome, you click on the 3 bars on the top right of the screen and then scroll down to Settings. This should bring up the Settings tab. Partway down (4th item on my Mac version) is a section for Search where you can select which search engine you want to us. Simply click there and select the one you want.

If this isn't what you are looking for, please post back and we can go from there.

Homer

I use Firefox for the browser, however I've managed to set Yahoo as a default search engine. I must have downloaded something or updated a program that had Yahoo as the search engine. My grown son has Yahoo and loves it, and for people who know what they're doing with computer - I can understand why they want it.

I also use Thunderbird for my email program, can't open messages with it either. Neither my husband nor I are tech savvy and he asked me "Maybe our computer has a virus or something else bad."
01-10-2016 08:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

in my experience, when something is downloaded that also sets your search engine for you, it also installs various other resource sucking tracker programs and sometimes trojans as well. That would account for the slowness symptoms you are seeing.

There used to be a spate of visible and invisible ones that I was always having to clean up off my husband's computer. Weather bug was one of the things that I remember coming along for the ride with the yahoo search engine. I used to know which antivirus scanners I could depend on to clean it all up... but unfortunately my knowledge on all that is at least 5 years out of date now.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
01-10-2016 08:21 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Changing the default search engine in Firefox is done by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search window, then using Change Search Settings.
However, as DV has suggested, it is likley someone downloaded the Yahoo toolbar which is bloatware bordering on malware.

I just spent the afternoon extricating W10 off the family machine; and I am knackered.
It has W7 Home 32 bit and no group policy editor. I uninstalled updates; edited the registry; and changed ownership and permissions on a zillion files.
Dang MSoft.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-10-2016 08:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Go to Control Panel.

You'll see "Programs" in the left listing.

Under it, will be text that says "Uninstall a program" or something similar.

Click that.

Wait for it to load.

Once it loads, go to the column that says "Installed on" and click that text. This will sort your programs by the date they were installed.

It *should* show you what was installed last and go down in date toward what was first installed. if it is in the other order, click that text again. Look at those top dates and the programs installed. Think back to when this problem first started. Is anything installed lately that you did NOT install yourself? What was installed/updated last? For example, even though I installed Thunderbird ages ago, because it was recently updated, it is at the top of my list.

Let us know what you find out.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-10-2016 08:57 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

To remove Yahoo search completely from Firefox, click the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner of the browser itself.

In the little window that appears there, select ADD-ONS.

It will open into a new tab and you can refer back to here.

On the left hand panel, select EXTENSIONS.

Scroll down and find the Yahoo search bar.

On the right of its entry, select remove.

Done. You'll need to close and reopen Firefox to complete it. Chances are, though, until you get rid of whatever else is on your computer, it will re-appear after that. Give it a try though and let us know what happens.

While you are there in that EXTENSIONS page, look to see if anything else is there that you did not install. Also click PLUGINS on the left check that list, too.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

01-10-2016 09:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

You may also consider running System Restore and choosing a date prior to the trouble. If you can't find System Restore on your Program Menu, type rstrui.exe in a Run window and press enter.
01-10-2016 10:19 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Off the main topic a bit: Adobe is my pet peeve.
I hate their Flash Player; but have to have it as many sites I use require Flash.
I will not give Flash permission to auto update. It seems like Flash is flagged as vulnerable more often than MSIE.
When I download an update for Flash, there is always some "free" extra SW pre-checked for download.
It's either Chrome and the Google Tool Bar or it's McAfee ; neither of which I want.

BTW -- there is a Firefox add-on called SearchReset that sets several things back to default.
The complete set of action performed by this add-on on installation are:
- reset "browser.startup.homepage" pref to its default value
- reset "keyword.URL" pref to its default value
- reset "browser.search.defaultenginename" pref to its default value
- new in version 0.2: resets browser.newtab.url to its default value
- restores the build's default search engine if it was removed
- moves the build's default search engine into first position and selects it

01-10-2016 10:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

I agree with whoever said 'danged McSoft'. Before I posted here asking for help, I had gone to 'control program' and looked for Yahoo toolbar or some such thing. It was not listed anywhere. Then I did a 'restore' to my computer and that didn't help either plus it messed up my Thunderbird email program. I "think" the Yahoo search engine has finally been changed to the one I want by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search window and entering the search engine I like. I was also really happy to 'remove' Yahoo from the search engine choices. Like I said earlier, I don't want to insult anyone if they like Yahoo, but it doesn't suit my needs.

I wish I were smarter where computers are concerned. I do try not to download or upload things that are questionable, but I think it happened when Microsoft updated some of their programs and this other stuff came along for the ride.

Now, all that is left to fix on my PC is being able to open thunderbird messages and respond to them.

Thanks to all that responded, you didn't have to take time to do it - but you did and for that I am most grateful Smile
01-11-2016 08:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 645 11-28-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 256 10-31-2016 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 625 07-12-2015 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 1,554 05-25-2015 09:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
Grin Senior Computer Skills Crimson Nape 9 1,079 05-08-2015 01:52 AM
Last Post: leximorph19
  Man kills Dell Computer justMongo 8 1,906 04-25-2015 02:17 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  The answer to your Computer / Software problems SuperSleeper 15 1,431 04-09-2015 12:04 PM
Last Post: Homerec130