Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need computer help.........
For what it's worth; Firefox changed their default search engine to Yahoo back around version 34. This has become a major source of complaints because some version updates will reset it back it to Yahoo if it's been changed.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 09:23 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: For what it's worth; Firefox changed their default search engine to Yahoo back around version 34. This has become a major source of complaints because some version updates will reset it back it to Yahoo if it's been changed.

The reset bug was fixed in the next minor update.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 09:48 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(01-11-2016, 09:23 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: For what it's worth; Firefox changed their default search engine to Yahoo back around version 34. This has become a major source of complaints because some version updates will reset it back it to Yahoo if it's been changed.

The reset bug was fixed in the next minor update.

This reset "business" from Firefox might well be the cause of my PC problems, because I've noticed (even though I'm not tech savvy) that after every update my PC problems seemed to get worse. If Firefox would have asked, I would have told them an emphatic NO - I don't want Yahoo search engine.

If someone wanted to make a bit of money, they should write a book called "Computers for Senior Dummies" and I think it might sell well. My grandson who is 15 knows far more than I could ever hope to know about PCs and phones and all manner of electronic stuff. Trouble is - he lives in another state so my time with him is limited.

Post Reply Post Reply

In the address bar, enter this: about:preferences#search

Click the check mark next to any search engines you don't want to use. No check means it won't use it.

To remove one, click the name so that the entire name is blue. Then down below the box is a "Remove" button. Click that.

Done.

But if a program has added a toolbar, which is different than just a simple search engine, you'll need to remove it from the add-ons.

It really sounds as if your computer could use a really good cleaning. There's some programs out there that can do it but some can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. My bet is Adobe is installing bloatware and is choking your system. Adobe has good products but you have to watch them. Yahoo toolbars and McAfee free firewalls can really screw up a computer.

Speaking of which, what firewall/anti-virus program do you use?
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 12:16 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: In the address bar, enter this: about:preferences#search

Click the check mark next to any search engines you don't want to use. No check means it won't use it.

To remove one, click the name so that the entire name is blue. Then down below the box is a "Remove" button. Click that.

Done.

But if a program has added a toolbar, which is different than just a simple search engine, you'll need to remove it from the add-ons.

It really sounds as if your computer could use a really good cleaning. There's some programs out there that can do it but some can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. My bet is Adobe is installing bloatware and is choking your system. Adobe has good products but you have to watch them. Yahoo toolbars and McAfee free firewalls can really screw up a computer.

Speaking of which, what firewall/anti-virus program do you use?

I have a 'paid' version of Avast - don't know if it is considered good or bad.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was having a similar problem with Yahoo setting as the default search. I do know what I'm doing, and had run scans with MalwareBytes and antivirus. I did not download any PUP (potentially unwanted program) or malware and Malwarebytes came up empty. I had already reset he search engine several times, and finally removed Yahoo altogether.

The change seems to correspond to Firefox updates. This has been a problem (bug) in the past with Firefox, and it wouldn't surprise me if it is happening again. Watch your Firefox updates, and any changes that come with an update.
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-11-2016, 01:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I was having a similar problem with Yahoo setting as the default search. I do know what I'm doing, and had run scans with MalwareBytes and antivirus. I did not download any PUP (potentially unwanted program) or malware and Malwarebytes came up empty. I had already reset he search engine several times, and finally removed Yahoo altogether.

The change seems to correspond to Firefox updates. This has been a problem (bug) in the past with Firefox, and it wouldn't surprise me if it is happening again. Watch your Firefox updates, and any changes that come with an update.

I'm sorry you were also having issues with Yahoo search engine, but I am extremely grateful that you have mentioned it here. I obviously am not computer smart, but somehow I felt like it was my fault my computer was messed up. About 8 years ago when my younger son talked me into accepting a computer he built, he cautioned me about going to websites that were not trustworthy. I've tried to follow that suggestion and still I had trouble. I don't feel so upset with myself if someone like yourself and others have run into similar troubles. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
I've never had a problem with Firefox and Yahoo. It isn't even on my list of search engines to choose from. Perhaps because I removed it, it never gets changed.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2016, 06:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I've never had a problem with Firefox and Yahoo. It isn't even on my list of search engines to choose from. Perhaps because I removed it, it never gets changed.

Paula, It wouldn't DARE change for you.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-11-2016, 04:18 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I'm sorry you were also having issues with Yahoo search engine, but I am extremely grateful that you have mentioned it here. I obviously am not computer smart, but somehow I felt like it was my fault my computer was messed up. About 8 years ago when my younger son talked me into accepting a computer he built, he cautioned me about going to websites that were not trustworthy. I've tried to follow that suggestion and still I had trouble. I don't feel so upset with myself if someone like yourself and others have run into similar troubles. Smile

GrammarBear, it happens to all of us (except Paula of course Whistle ). Even "trustworthy" sites and products come with nasty little secrets and "pleasant surprises".

My Dad had five separate search bars on his browser at one stage. He had no idea how they got there or how to get rid of them, and wondered why his computer was running so slowly. He's 94 years old oldman so I suppose I have to make allowances.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 1,729 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 762 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 804 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 1,982 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
Grin Senior Computer Skills Crimson Nape 9 1,415 05-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Last Post: leximorph19
  Man kills Dell Computer justMongo 8 2,240 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  The answer to your Computer / Software problems SuperSleeper 15 1,861 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Homerec130