Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need computer help.........
(01-11-2016, 11:54 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(01-11-2016, 04:18 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I'm sorry you were also having issues with Yahoo search engine, but I am extremely grateful that you have mentioned it here. I obviously am not computer smart, but somehow I felt like it was my fault my computer was messed up. About 8 years ago when my younger son talked me into accepting a computer he built, he cautioned me about going to websites that were not trustworthy. I've tried to follow that suggestion and still I had trouble. I don't feel so upset with myself if someone like yourself and others have run into similar troubles. Smile

GrammarBear, it happens to all of us (except Paula of course Whistle ). Even "trustworthy" sites and products come with nasty little secrets and "pleasant surprises".

My Dad had five separate search bars on his browser at one stage. He had no idea how they got there or how to get rid of them, and wondered why his computer was running so slowly. He's 94 years old oldman so I suppose I have to make allowances.

Thanks for sharing your story about your Dad, it makes me feel better. When my son built a computer for me he kept telling me "You will like it Mother" and he was right - I do like it. Just wish I was a little smarter when it comes to maintenance. I'm like your Dad - I had 3 separate search bars until I read how to eliminate them from Paula's post. My computer runs better now, not perfect - but a whole lot better.

Post Reply Post Reply
ROFL

I don't let anything update automatically. I have it tell me it is ready then I "allow" it to update.

That hammer ain't just for looks ya know!
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2016, 06:36 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: ROFL

I don't let anything update automatically. I have it tell me it is ready then I "allow" it to update.

That hammer ain't just for looks ya know!

So that hammer is a "working" hammer...heh??

The updates that seem to have made a mess of my computer came from Firefox and I don't have a 'clue' on how to fix it so they ask permission first before updating.

Post Reply Post Reply

Tools -> Options -> advanced -> Updates
[Image: FFupdayes.jpg]

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2016, 07:08 PM)justMongo Wrote: Tools -> Options -> advanced -> Updates
[Image: FFupdayes.jpg]

Under the 'Show Update History' there is a line that says "Use a background service to install updates" on my computer. I run Windows 7 Home Edition.

I should have my computer the way the picture you've provided shows? (Just want to make sure I do it right)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have Firefox version 43.0.4 and it does not have the check box for automatically updating search engines.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

That's 43.0.3 above.
I updated to 43.0.4 and it looks the same.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
But did you reboot? Did you rub it? Did you do the piano thing? .... Did you ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Last weekend I could have used Paula's hammer on my computer - I was not pleased with IT
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-12-2016, 07:41 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I should have my computer the way the picture you've provided shows? (Just want to make sure I do it right)

I would use "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them". Browsers should be kept updated as updates will patch vulnerabilities that are found. Only choose never if you know/remember to check for updates by going to Help > About Firefox on the menu. If you go that route, check at least once a month.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 1,820 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 881 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 833 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 2,040 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
Grin Senior Computer Skills Crimson Nape 9 1,446 05-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Last Post: leximorph19
  Man kills Dell Computer justMongo 8 2,291 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  The answer to your Computer / Software problems SuperSleeper 15 1,928 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Homerec130