Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need computer help.........
I just got done updating our church's sound booth laptop this morning. 75 updates and it took 2 1/2 hours to download and install. It has Win 7 and normally runs on an internal network (no internet access). Finally had the time to update it. Oh, and I got 5 prompts to update to Win 10 in the process. Boy, the red X comes in handy.

Now, I'll see how many more updates will come through this weekend.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2016, 04:54 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I just got done updating our church's sound booth laptop this morning. 75 updates and it took 2 1/2 hours to download and install. It has Win 7 and normally runs on an internal network (no internet access). Finally had the time to update it. Oh, and I got 5 prompts to update to Win 10 in the process. Boy, the red X comes in handy.

Now, I'll see how many more updates will come through this weekend.

Homer

Check in the root of the OS drive for a hidden file called $WINDOWS.~BT
(Like C:\)
You need to have hidden files shown, which I prefer.
If $WINDOWS.~BT is there, then your machine has downloaded W10.

It uses about 6GB of disk. It's difficult to remove as the owner is "Trusted Installer."
You have to take ownership, change permissions to all, then delete in steps.
Some files just don't want to delete by the normal delete command -- even as administrator.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reminder. I'll take a look at it over the weekend when I go back in. The person that services all the church systems is in the process of putting in a couple of registry entries that prohibit the update to Win 10. The folks in the office have a couple of programs that won't run on 10 and the developers haven't announced when a 10 compatible version will come out.

As to our laptop, we don't care if it upgrades or not, just as long as we have the control over it. Everything we need will run on 10. I have been using my Win 10 machine as a backup for the service computer. Dragged it with me Christmas Eve incase anything happened.

My real backup will be my MacBook Pro. I may try it Saturday when I have a run the test slides for a memorial service on Sunday.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

I meant to say: a folder named $WINDOWS.~BT instead of "file"

For Pro versions of W7, there is a setting in the group policy editor to prevent upgrade.
The Home versions don't have a group policy editor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 1,723 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 755 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 800 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 1,979 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
Grin Senior Computer Skills Crimson Nape 9 1,414 05-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Last Post: leximorph19
  Man kills Dell Computer justMongo 8 2,238 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  The answer to your Computer / Software problems SuperSleeper 15 1,859 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Homerec130