Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maitenance of Cp equipment
Maitenance of Cp equipment
I Have been a CP user for 4 years and I am what is the standard for maintaing and a cleaning your tubing and mask is it daily or weekly ? And what solutions are good for cleaning the humidifier container ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maitenance of Cp equipment
There are some threads here on the board that will give you lots of good ideas as to how to clean your equipment.
I wash my mask, humidifier tank,and hose in warm, soapy water using a little ivery dishsoap once a week. I rarely wash my headgear. Some folks wash their mask and hose daily, but it's an individual thing as to how much you feel the need to clean your equipment.
Hope this helps.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I wipe my mask every morning with a mask wipe. The mask cushion and hose get washed weekly with a mild non-antibacterial soap. I don't remember the reason for non-antibacterial soap. Be careful not to use too much soap on the hose or it will be hard to rinse. I was told by the doctor that small droplets of water inside the hose were ok. When you accumulate additional hoses- they can be replaced every three months- you can alternate while one dries, don't place in the sun as it can damage the hose. I don't take the mask apart for cleaning until three months goes by and I get a new mask. I keep the old one as a spare. I change filters or wash mine every month. I keep the machine clean with a damp cloth. I wash the humidifier chamber with soapy water/vinegar weekly/10days. Also use distilled water in the humidifier. The mask cushion or nasal pillows and filters (except foam washable) can be replaced every month, the mask and tubing every three months, headgear, chin strap and humidifier chamber (I just learned about the humidifier chamber) every six months. Chin strap and headgear as needed or monthly. I would encourage you to adhere to this schedule so you can have a spare of each item by saving the old one. This way if something breaks you are OK. Equipment gets worn, masks don't fit as well and tubing can get tiny holes which all compromise therapy. Filters should be kept clean for obvious reasons. That said, I get lazy. I'm going to wipe my mask off right now. LOL. Suppliers are now carrying supplies such as tubing brushes to make cleaning easier. Do whatever it takes to maintain your equipment. Good luck.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your assistance !Smile

(02-22-2013, 11:14 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: There are some threads here on the board that will give you lots of good ideas as to how to clean your equipment.
I wash my mask, humidifier tank,and hose in warm, soapy water using a little ivery dishsoap once a week. I rarely wash my headgear. Some folks wash their mask and hose daily, but it's an individual thing as to how much you feel the need to clean your equipment.
Hope this helps.

Post Reply Post Reply
whatever feel right for you

I wash the mask cushion each morning in the shower to remove skin oil and don,t have any set routine for the rest
but do change the filter regularly

some find they don,t need to wash the water tank as much using distilled water instead of tap water

Post Reply Post Reply
Some of us are far too lax in our cleaning and some of us are downright anal about it.

Use a soap that you normally use to avoid introducing a new substance that you may have a reaction to. Avoid alcohol-based sanitizer soap stuff. (I use our dish soap, diluted)

There's Control III that will kill just about any nasties that may or may not be growing someone on your equipment. (they are known to grow the best in the hot, humid hose)

If you use tap water (please, let's not start THAT freakin' debate again), use a vinegar and water solution to break up the crud. I've used mine for four months now and it is just now got this rough white layer to it. A simple soak in the solution and it came off.

If you use distilled water, letting it air dry during the week then clean with soap on the weekend should be sufficient.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 551 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 939 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? WWu777 24 3,734 03-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: nelamvr6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.