Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need for humidifier?
Need for humidifier?
Where we live (the high desert of the Intermountain West) a humidifier on CPAP is a must. Most of the year humidity is below 20 percent.
This fall, we are scheduled to take a cruise in Russia - Moscow to St. Petersburg. I did some checking and it appears that humidity seldom get below 60 percent in that part of the world. That makes me believe I could probably leave the humidifier portion of the CPAP home and save some weight and space. Anyone live in an area with high humidity care to comment of whether a humidifier is needed?
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need for humidifier?
In certain cases, I prefer to use this line:

"Better to have and not need than to need and not have."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zorki1c,
I understand that you want to travel light and you could try not taking your humidifier but then, if you discover when you get there that you need just that "LITTLE" bit of humidity, you wouldnot have the humidifier along; what Paptillian said.
And oh by the way, I Hope you have a nice trip.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
On the one hand, it is still fairly low humidity. But on the other hand, you are used to it being lower.

You might not need it BUT, like the others said, it would be best to take it. If where you are staying is air conditioned, then the humidity will be lower.

If you had the chance to go somewhere else closer that also had 60%, it would give you a chance to know if you do or not.

Humidification is so individualized, there's no way to really give you advice on it. If it were me, I'd take it. I've tried to skip the humidifier away from home and was miserable. Luckily, I had it with me and was able to enjoy the trip.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. Better safe than sorry, I guess. We really suffer from humidity when we travel, especially in the summer. We just don't have much moisture in the air here. I don't think a CPAP would be practical here without a humidifier. But the fact that most models can be purchased without the humidifier suggests there are areas where they aren't needed. Here in the States once you get east of the Rockies, it's a whole different world. 110 F and 10 percent humidity where we live is much more tolerable (at least for those of us who live here) than 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity in San Antonio. There is something to the saying "but it's a dry heat".
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use mine in the summer. Sometimes I will use it in "passive" mode with water in the tank but no heat. The humidity here can be bad. Right now it is 71% in my office.

I was in Phoenix for a conference in July ('08). It was 113 one mid-morning. At that temp, I don't care if it is a dry heat. If my eyeballs are boilin', it's too hot!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't go anywhere without mine. My throat just gets dried out. But my dad often leaves his behind. It depends on the pressure you're using and how your throat personally feels and a bunch of other stuff.

You can do it. Back in the early days, CPAP humidifiers were a fancy optional add-on. It's mainly a personal comfort issue.

But, really, the humidifier doesn't weigh much and it doesn't take up that much space and there's a slot for it in the CPAP travel case (which you should probably be using, and which, as medical equipment, does not count towards your airline carryon allowance). I'd suggest you take it. You can try without it for a while, see how it goes. That way, you'll have a better idea how much you need it next time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2013, 05:49 PM)pgw78 Wrote: there's a slot for it in the CPAP travel case (which you should probably be using, and which, as medical equipment, does not count towards your airline carryon allowance).

That's true; the travel case has a slot specifically for the H5i.

If you need one, Supplier #1 has them for about $35.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me just repeat a comment that pgw78 made that might be important. Most airlines nowadays have a policy that CPAP and other medical devices do not count towards your carry-on allowance limit. And the humidifier counts as part of the CPAP device.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP has to be in its own bag and only medical equipment can be in the bag. It does not count toward your carryon limit.

So if an airline has one bag plus a personal item (such as purse or briefcase), the CPAP is not counted toward that limit.

In the case of overbooking or full plane and they are asking folks to check bags at the gate, don't do this to your CPAP. They can't make you do it.

When I left Dallas, the plane was full to its proverbial gills. They loaded people by zones vs seat. Anyone with Zone 5 on their ticket HAD to check in their bags at the gate. They were hinting that Zone 4 should as well. I had my briefcase and the CPAP bag and the headrest from my chair. Luckily, I was in first class and I had enough room under the seat. It was too small a plane. They didn't even have a closet. If it had not fit at my feet, they would have had to gate check the headrest.

The moral of the story is to know your rights and stick to them. BUT remain polite. Explain the cost of the machine and your desire to not have to make them pay for it.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 772 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 324 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 789 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 517 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.