Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need full face mask advice
RE: Need full face mask advice
Hi Bob32256,
It can be difficult to get some masks to seal properly, it is best if you lay down before you put a mask on as believe it or not your face does change shape. The mask should be fitted just tight enough to form a seal and not to tight, start the machine and if it leaks, stop the machine, readjust the mask and try again. You might fine it leaks during the night, but just readjust it and continue. If you fine a Nasal Mask or Nasal pillows work best for you then use them. Dry mouth is usually air escaping through your mouth or through your lips. Some have resulted to using micro pore tape on their mouths, but I wouldn't recommend it. I guy I know made a band that went round his head covering his mouth with Velcro so he could remove it quickly, it had a rubbery type foam that was in the shape of his mouth that was just bigger than his lips. This was pulled tight enough so he didn't open his mouth or loose air through his lips. The band of material he used split behind the ears and went over his head which held it in place. He said it worked well for him and it looked like it was professionally made, but he said his wife made it. The rubber foam was covered in a soft vinyl that made it easy to clean.
He showed me it with him wearing it and it looked as if it would work.
Only downside to it is that air coming out of his mask made a bit of noise as it reflected off it. However, if anyone is good with a needle and thread. It certainly worked for him.
I only saw this last week, but I would like to try this as it is better than tape. Thinking-about
Nothing ventured, nothing gained Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I should have said the foam rubber went round his lips not over them. Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this is an older post but, just in case you are still looking - or maybe someone else is interested... I currently use a Quattro Air and had many of the same issues with leaking. I didn't know any better and purchased a size large but had all sorts of troubles getting it to seal. I finally thought that maybe it was the size so I got a medium and it made all the difference. My leak rate is finally down where it's usually not much of an issue and I find the mask pretty comfortable. I've also tried the Dreamwear and a hybrid but it's the Quattro Air that seems to work the best for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2016, 09:27 AM)Bob32256 Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 08:56 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Bob, welcome to Apnea Board.

Getting a mask to fit is a really difficult issue and there's no way to say that any particular mask will or won't leak on your face. Having said that I have used the Quattro Air and found it pretty good, but the F&P Simplus is better for me. The Simplus is very popular so you might have better luck with that. Or not.

As a side question, was your nasal mask ok? You say you had to change to full face - why was that?

Thanks, and sorry for the delay in replying. Here's why I think I need to switch to full face - I said my current nasal mask doesn't leak, but what I mean is that it doesn't leak around my eyes and wake me up. I have congestion from allergies, I wake up with extreme dry mouth, and the % of time above the leak threshold is as high as 40%. I am assuming that's from mouth breathing.

I am (unfortunately) a bit of a mouth breather, but wasn't able to find a full face mask that was either comfortable &/or didn't leak. I tried several chin straps before I found the Phillips chin/mouth strap. For me it has been the best solution for ongoing use of nasal pillows. Got to keep experimenting until you find what works for you.....

Happy days.....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 246 6 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 166 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 177 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,548 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 139 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 330 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.