Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breath pattern question
RE: Breath pattern question
Here are a few shots from last night. The flow does appear to be normal now...at least to me. Now I just need to get rid of the obstructives. I guess bump up the epap a little? The clutter at the beginning I wasn't even asleep yet so I don't know about all that. If we get into that kind of discussion I probably should bounce back to my therapy thread though I guess. 

I just noticed I did a lot of guessing in what I said above.  Too-funny

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You can try to titrate EPAP min up to reduce OA events. I think the CA is mostly sleep disturbance and transition. Feeling any better?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CA at the beginning of the sleep sessions might be a SWJ (Sleep Wake Junk) issue. Another thing that may be adding to the CA, it appears in the pressure chart to have a Ramp pattern to it that's present at each segment start, where these CA reside.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I invented SWJ when I was a character on the other forum, offering my advice as a Director of A Regional Sleep Center:

deltadave » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:34 pm

This has the appearance of Sleep-Wake junk.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel Dave is right here, since he doesn't have the benefit of having a close up view of the events in question. The first part maybe SWJ but deeper in could easily be somewhat normal sleep, but apparently unlike you I lack the ability to clearly identify sleep state from an all night view.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can definitely get you a zoomed view once I get back home. I know the cluster at the beginning was while I was awake adjusting/fiddling with the mask. Then the little gap was a trip to the bathroom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a zoom of that mess. I can zoom more if you need me to. I was just trying to keep it all in the shot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The fact you know you were awake is by definition SWJ and there really is no point in analyzing it further.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long are those centrals when you thought that you were awake? I've tried to deliberately create apneas while awake to try to figure out what the various wave forms feel like when I'm conscious. What I can say is that ten seconds holding my breath feels like a really long time to me when I'm awake. I believe that once the apnea gets into the 20-30-40 second range I have to be asleep to let that happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to experiment with central apnea length you have to create the milieu in which they occur. If you suddenly try to hold your breath, your body was looking for a breath at ~5 seconds so at 10 you're already sucking (or need to suck) wind. If you take 5 or 6 huge breaths you've dropped blood CO2, plus lung reserve CO2, then you have to add circulatory time lung > breathing receptors so a 25 -30 second apnea is easy (and required). A single sigh will get you a shorty.

Sleep-onset centrals are a little different. The CO2 threshold changes at sleep-onset, so you're not going to see a lot of these. Like one.

Difficulty in taking sleep will net you a variety pack. Add in some motion artifact, and there's SWJ.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,836 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,202 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,821 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Breathing pattern identification, Flow limitations and posture SingleH 95 6,862 12-28-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] central apnea breathing pattern Eightadayorbust 6 636 10-26-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  What is this pattern? danylam 4 466 10-23-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 897 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.