Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help,Having Low compliance
Need help,Having Low compliance
So I've been on apap for about 2 months now after being diagnosed with UARS but I've been having low compliance every night and Unconsciously remove my mask about 2 hours in sleep.I use the p10 mask with mouth tape so no leaks.

The Oscar shows pauses in breathing followed by Clear airways shown in pictures 

I was told to raise my EPR to 3 couple days ago but that doesn't seem to do the trick...But it feels great falling asleep!

Maybe someone here knows something that can help. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help,Having Low compliance
Your Pressure/Flow limits don't indicate UARS to me.  Prior to each CA you display, you took a deep breath.  This can account for a breathing lag that is greater than 10 seconds, thus triggering an event flag.  At 2-hours, the CAs could be caused by a CO2 washout too.  As low as your Flow Limit is, you could try setting the EPR to 2 and see what happens.  Along with reducing the CAs, this will increase your EPAP pressure and may eliminate the hypopneas.  

What I find strange is the setting of 7.4 to 11.0 and your pressure never varies from the 7.4, even for just the 2-hour session you show.  I guess it can happen, but I've never seen a static pressure when in the variable pressure mode.  Usually there is some type of variation in the pressure graph.

How many hours are on your S9?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll lower the EPR tonight thanks!

So would me sleeping on a static pressure indicate it is the wrong pressure or setting since APAP is designed to adjust to my breathing??

I have about 400 hours on my machine last I checked. Would more hours be worse for sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t see any real problems. Almost everyone has some CA. If you turn over and as you do you hold your breath it will record a CA. The only thing you need to do is get more hours with the Cpap on. 

You could try to get use to it by reading a book or watching tv with it on. I think once you get accustomed to the therapy you will do fine.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2021, 06:38 PM)Burrbery654 Wrote: I have about 400 hours on my machine last I checked. Would more hours be worse for sleep?
The total run time is only 400 hours?  Wow!  I was expecting a lot more since Resmed ended manufacturing of the S9 in 2015.

You might be able to use the S9 without any EPR.  In that case, you could drop the starting pressure down a little.  Before doing that, let's see what an EPR of 2 does for you.  Your AHI is low enough to ask, how do you feel?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup,Ill post my results soon with EPR 2 and see where I can go from there.

For about 1 month I was using My cpap with no EPR at all But it was causing me a lot of leaks, I think I have a thread where I posted my results without EPR at all, In summary it wasn't great results which I was suggested to turn on my EPR.

I still feel very sleepy and tired not much improvement there...

But I noticed The nights I sleep a bit longer with the machine on I feel better, That's why I'm trying to get my compliance up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my results of using EPR 2 Last night, Looks kind of the same but I had less leak rates then before and a Higher AHI 

But I keep Taking off the mask after 2 hours...What could be the reason for that????

Post Reply Post Reply
No one can "make" you keep your mask on and use the machine. We see this often enough to recognize that it is a habit or behavior, and only you can change it. With very low AHI, it's understandable that there are not significant adverse consequences for not using the the therapy. We can optimize your therapy, and it looks best to me at EPR 3 and low pressure, but we can't sit there and put your mask back on when you remove it. The solutions is cognitive behavioral therapy, or more simply recognizing that this problem comes from voluntary behavior, and you need to do some self evaluation at to your motives for removing the mask and your attitude towards CPAP therapy. The solution won't come from changing settings. It's 100% on you, and until you see some compelling reason to use the therapy, there is nothing anyone on this forum can do to increase your use of it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
For the duration that you have the mask on, it's working great looking at your flow limitations chart. Perhaps, it's a matter of time for you to get used to wearing the mask. Putting it right back on when you see get a chance to put it back on again, and keep at it.

I hear these complaint very often. There's got to be members that has resolved this issue.

Does the mask cause you anxiety when you have it on? Claustrophobic? If so, that anxiety needs to be broken, and perhaps by wearing it during the evening for awhile even before going to bed, so that you develop an tolerance to it being on you.

There is no indication from OSCAR why you'd take off your mask. It seems like it's purely phycological.

Just by the fact that your pressure response stays constant, nothing from the machine should cause you to do anything. It's a sign that you should have an easier timing sleeping with such conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are removing your mask unconsciously in your sleep, and don't know you are doing it, one suggestion is to tape the mask to your face. Put a piece of first-aid tape across the side of the mask and tape it to your cheek. That way, when you try to take the mask off it will pull and probably wake you up enough to know that you are doing it. Then you can stop, or put the mask back on, and go back to sleep with the mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 432 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  compliance question singergal67 7 642 06-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  Vacation - CPAP compliance was amazing, now home and I'm struggling again Muhlyssa 3 506 05-26-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Muhlyssa
  Medicare Compliance Question plakky 9 1,479 03-03-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  out of compliance because of not getting much sleep narual 5 596 02-17-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.