Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help adjusting ASV
Need help adjusting ASV
Well, I tried the blow-back trick (I had to do it a few times throughout the night), and I managed to get to sleep.  Moreover, I finally got an AHI under 2, for the first time ever. (!)  Now, I know numbers aren't everything ... I still feel a bit tired because it still took me a while to fall asleep. And then the dreaded "male-pattern-bladder" had me up a few times during the night ... but all in all, it went pretty well.

[attachment=14814]

I did wake up at about 5:15 with a splitting headache, which is unusual for me. I almost never get headaches. Not sure if this was connected to the use of the machine or not.  Also, my mouth was as dry as the Sahara ... I know my jaw often drops open at night, and with the full face mask, my mouth can get pretty dry.  I should try taping again.  

So I'll keep going at the current settings for a while.  Any thoughts on what I should be looking for in Oscar to tweak my settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
[split] Need help adjusting ASV
like Congrats on the positive direction. For myself before I switched from full face, I had to have humidity added to keep from drying out.

On edits...unless you need EPAP Min that low, I'd bump it up off of 4.0, maybe try 6.0. Myself would need more air than 4 provides. It may also address the hypopnea. The median shows 12.19 in the above chart. Let's see what others think too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree your min epap of 4 looks too low it takes a while to go up but it does go as high as 11

I suggest a starting point of 6 for now
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2019, 01:02 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: I agree your min epap of 4 looks too low it takes a while to go up but it does go as high as 11

I'm still a little fuzzy on what I should be tweaking based on my numbers.  Here's last night for instance:
[attachment=14865]

I increased my Min EPAP to 6 last night, which seemed to offer some improvement.  But I'm not sure how to interpret numbers like my Median/95%/Max pressure, and what tweaks those numbers would suggest I make.  

Also, I read on the ASV Auto Protocol that Sleeprider shared with me last year (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tor?page=3, 5th post on page), that - apart from tweaking min EPAP for comfort - you shouldn't need to touch Max EPAP to resolve UAOs unless the EPAP reaches the Max EPAP setting.  In my case, my actual Max EPAP comes nowhere near the machine's Max EPAP setting ... so why aren't my hypopnea being automatically resolved by the machine?  Is there something I should be changing here?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrated with recommendations by doctor
your chart looks pretty good! hypopnea are minor but some appear clustered so you might still have a positional thing to work out. they may dissipate now you've bumped min epap (give it a few nights) and/or you can also try nudging up your min ps.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Need help adjusting ASV
I’d try this as is for at least another day. Wanting to see trends or patterns. Looks good though right now. How do you feel when you’re using it? Any comfort issues?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2019, 12:40 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: How do you feel when you’re using it? Any comfort issues?

It's not too bad. I think that I do end up swallowing a lot of air, esp. when the pressure ramps up. But I'm going to try it for a few more nights to see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2019, 11:12 AM)allanri Wrote:
(08-25-2019, 01:02 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: I agree your min epap of 4 looks too low it takes a while to go up but it does go as high as 11

In my case, my actual Max EPAP comes nowhere near the machine's Max EPAP setting ... so why aren't my hypopnea being automatically resolved by the machine?  Is there something I should be changing here?

I think in reality the max pressure the machine can give to try and resolve a hypopnoea is 25 although the max ipap seems to be set at 30

I would not worry about the few hypopnoea you are seeing
Post Reply Post Reply
OK great. Let's see what it's like in a few days. When I first started ASV I had to deal with the air swallowing as well. Mine diminished over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a quick tip you may find helpful...

Some nights I have trouble falling asleep, and my ASV tends to bump the 20 cmH2O ceiling (my max), which again keeps me from falling asleep. My stomach starts to bloat with air. All adding up to make for the perfect storm for staying uncomfortably awake. When this happens, I just shut-er-down and quickly fall asleep. Then the first time I wake, I am pretty relaxed and drowsy and can mask-up and fall asleep fairly quickly again.

I found my max pressure seems to be 20 cmH2O. Anything over that and mask leaks seem to be guaranteed. And that quickly wakes me and the wife with a loud serenade of faux facial flatulent formations.    Dielaughing

Also, for me, whenever I make a slight change in settings, I like to run those settings for about two weeks to see if I have an improvement (or not) in my AHI, sleep comfort and how well I feel during the day.

Sleep-well
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 291 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 130 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 236 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Need help adjusting interpreting Oscar Data - 10 Aircurve Vauto mrwell 4 437 12-02-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: mrwell
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,233 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 587 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 7 891 07-25-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.