Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help buying a CPAP
Need help buying a CPAP
I had a bad night, My O2 went down to 74%. I woke up and measured myself. [ P.S. not the first night like that.]
It wouldnt go higher. This is about 3AM. Got out of bed at 5AM [alarm clock] and had a very bad day.
I felt so rotten that I went back to bed at 7AM. no specific ailment just felt ill. Tried to play freecell but my vision kept going double.
On this evening I took no sleeping pill or any other pills. I take my heart pills in the morning.
I thought of getting my oxy-acetylene torch out and bleed some oxygen in a bag around my head, but I realized that this was a bit extreme.
Anyways I'm thinking of getting one of those air blowers[cpaps] to wear at night with moisture.Ideally with a computer hookup.
I looked on Craigslist and there are about two pages of cpaps for sale, very few with exact manufacturer and Model number.
Is there a list of older cpaps that are worth considering? .
Any sugestions? 500$ would be very hard to pay but doable. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help buying a CPAP
You really need to go see Mr. Doctor and discuss this with him. You definitely could have sleep apnea, but you definitely could be having other problems that need addressed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you have had a sleep test or have been observed to be having sleep apnea events, getting a CPAP is a waste of money.

If your O2 did not go up even after you awoke, it is not sleep apnea.

Go see your physician immediately.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you had a recording pulse oximeter, your problem is probably not apnea. With sleep apnea, your O2 will go back to normal almost immediately after you awake.

You do need to go see a doctor about your low O2. 74% while awake sounds like something is pretty bad.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
If after seeing a doctor you look at the used market, you will have to learn the models and ask the seller for the complete model and run hours if possible.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 06:36 PM)archangle Wrote: Unless you had a recording pulse oximeter, your problem is probably not apnea. With sleep apnea, your O2 will go back to normal almost immediately after you awake.

You do need to go see a doctor about your low O2. 74% while awake sounds like something is pretty bad.

Agree. Most folks without some underlying condition will go back up to at least a semi normal O2 sat. I however didnt. But at least im told by my Cardiolgist and my Gp that I have mild COPD.

I would drop into the low 60s on one OA which my lab tech said was as fast a drop as shed ever seen. But once over I would begin coming up slower than usual. And not back to where I was before before the next OA hit.

Long story short it would take me about an hour or so of being awake to get back up to 97 or so O2.

So I agree you should go have yourself checked for COPD or something else first though there is a slim chance you might be like me. The odd bird so to speak LOL.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll have to check out COPD. My O2 slowly goes up and sits around 94 when I'm at the computer.
My MD couldnt make head nor tail of the CMS50D+ report.
But my cardiologist probably would...havent seen her in a year, maybe I should visit her.
Would this be good?
[commercial link removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are missing the point here.

We can give you advice on picking out a machine but so far, none of us think you need one. We all are saying "Go to your doctor". Getting one now is a waste of money.

You say you have COPD. You say you have heart problems. Those are bigger issues. Based on the symptoms you are giving us, and on the fact none of us are you and have actually sat watching you sleep, for once we all are agreeing on the same thing.

Go to your doctors to discuss these symptoms. Ask about a sleep test. Get one. Then ask us about machines.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2014, 02:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I think you are missing the point here.

We can give you advice on picking out a machine but so far, none of us think you need one. We all are saying "Go to your doctor". Getting one now is a waste of money.

You say you have COPD. You say you have heart problems. Those are bigger issues. Based on the symptoms you are giving us, and on the fact none of us are you and have actually sat watching you sleep, for once we all are agreeing on the same thing.

Go to your doctors to discuss these symptoms. Ask about a sleep test. Get one. Then ask us about machines.

Ditto what PaulaO2 said. No use buying a machine if you dont have SA It wont help anything if you dont.

And there are only two ways I know of to go about knowing that. One is sleep test if you can actually sleep through it. Some have trouble with that like my wife.
But if insurance is going to cover it then the sleep test route you must go.

Or having a partner that watches you sleep night after night and knows darn well you have it because they can hear and see you while you strangle in your sleep.

Go see a doc first find out what is up with low O2 first

Post Reply Post Reply
@breathfull - hope you are doing well and have news from your cardiologist and/or a sleep doctor. Please post again and give us all an update.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,604 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 819 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,986 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,084 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 641 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying used vauto with replaced motor? fishfinderG 1 579 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.