Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Need help in chosing a new bed
Hi there,

I have to admit, that I do not suffer from Apnea or something similar, but I think I still might be right on this board.

The reason for registering is that I want to buy a new bed.

I bought a mattress about a year ago, spending $700. Realizing about 3 weeks after the purchase, that I wake up with back pain every morning is making me sad. I cannot use the mattress and am not able to return it (no return policy) so I switched back to my initial mattress. As far as the mattress felt great in the store and felt great for the first couple of days, I am more cautious.

Anyway, I would like to get myself a box spring bed. And as far as some of you might have chosen a bed cautiously, you might be able to help me a bit.

I am willing to spend some money ($2k or even more for a King size), but the bed should be damn comfortable and durable (so it holds for more than a decade).

Is there any possibility to test sleep the bed (not for one day, but for a bit longer)? I am willing to pay for that service rather than spending a lot of money on a product again, that gives me back pain.
IKEA e.g. offers such service by letting you return the product within 30 days. A friend of mine did that already.

Does anybody of you have ideas about good brands or stores that provide such service?
What are you able to recommend?

Thanks a lot for your held and warmest regards from the chilly Midwest.

Matt
01-02-2014 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: Need help in chosing a new bed
Hi Matt, welcome aboard
Comfortable bed makes a lots of difference whether using CPAP or not, nothing worse than lumpy mattress and waking up with back pain

I don,t know about Ikea but while back, we bought a new mattress from shop sell seconds mattresses. It was okay when we tried at the store but at home one side felt lumpy and that happen to be my side. I called the store and they took the mattress away to the factory, they added some layers and was fine when brought it back

Sleep Number Bed review
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum

Good luck finding your perfect bed
01-02-2014 09:09 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I have never felt comfortable about buying used mattresses. It never seemed to bother me when we were younger and didn't own furniture of our own so we rented furnished places. There is just something about being the first person to sleep on a mattress....kind of like buying a brand new car. That is just me though.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 09:37 PM by me50.)
01-02-2014 09:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(01-02-2014 09:35 PM)me50 Wrote:  I have never felt comfortable about buying used mattresses.
Not even Salvation army or other organization would accept used mattresses, we usually put them out for council collections
Factory seconds mattresses are new never been used, sold at factory outlets cheaper than exactly store bought ones
01-03-2014 12:18 AM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

We have a couple of the sleep number adjustable beds. You can do a search for them and find the dealer nearest you. They are essentially a well made air cell bed which you can adjust either harder or softer. There are two cells in each bed (one for each side) and these can be adjusted separately. They are a little pricy, but they do have a return policy and very good support. We have a queen size and and king - the king was replacement for the queen when we decided we needed the additional room. They fit any regular bed frame. One thing we have found is they do get a little warmer in the summer because they it your pressure points better.
01-03-2014 02:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet - currently "set" on CPAP mode
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10 and P10 - varies
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8

Other Comments: New Sleep Doc + New DME = Trying new approach to PAP therapy.

Sex: Female

Because I have four bedrooms that I use in my "bed and bring your own breakfast" business, I've had the opportunity to purchase four different beds (one for each room) in my search for the "perfect bed". The best combination I've come up with (the bed that gets the most "raves" from guests) is a 4" all cotton, tufted futon mattress with a 4" Tempurpedic topper. Total cost for a queen-sized bed: about $400.00. The futon and topper are on a raised, slatted platform bed. Slowly, I've change all bedrooms to this configuration.

My bed, on the other hand, is also on a raised, slatted platform bed, but it is a $35.00 air mattress with a built-in electric pump so I can adjust the firmness of the bed. One of these air mattresses lasts the entire year and every year I change it out with a new one and stuff the old one away for those times when someone wants to sleep outside in a tent or on the deck.

As with CPAP masks, I think finding the perfect bed is an individual "thumbs up" or "thumbs down". I trust my guests (who usually hike all day long) to rate the beds and - so far - they love the combination of cotton futon and memory foam topper.
01-04-2014 01:01 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(01-04-2014 01:01 AM)MAPnea Wrote:  Because I have four bedrooms that I use in my "bed and bring your own breakfast" business, I've had the opportunity to purchase four different beds (one for each room) in my search for the "perfect bed". The best combination I've come up with (the bed that gets the most "raves" from guests) is a 4" all cotton, tufted futon mattress with a 4" Tempurpedic topper. Total cost for a queen-sized bed: about $400.00. The futon and topper are on a raised, slatted platform bed. Slowly, I've change all bedrooms to this configuration.

My bed, on the other hand, is also on a raised, slatted platform bed, but it is a $35.00 air mattress with a built-in electric pump so I can adjust the firmness of the bed. One of these air mattresses lasts the entire year and every year I change it out with a new one and stuff the old one away for those times when someone wants to sleep outside in a tent or on the deck.

As with CPAP masks, I think finding the perfect bed is an individual "thumbs up" or "thumbs down". I trust my guests (who usually hike all day long) to rate the beds and - so far - they love the combination of cotton futon and memory foam topper.

can you post a photo of the futon with the topper and the bed that works for you?
01-04-2014 05:26 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(01-02-2014 07:50 PM)MattUsa Wrote:  Is there any possibility to test sleep the bed (not for one day, but for a bit longer)? I am willing to pay for that service rather than spending a lot of money on a product again, that gives me back pain.

I don't believe any mattress is designed to last a decade, although many people at least that much use out of one.

We had a box spring and mattress that we were happy with, having gotten fed up with water beds. When that wore out we bought a Sleep Number bed. Spent about $5000 as I recall. That's an excellent bed and we are very happy with it.

Check the firmness level of the bed you did have and try another that's either one step firmer or one step softer, whichever suites you.

The purchase of a bed is a very personal thing. Note that a bed is not something you can buy for someone else, a bed is something you have to buy for yourself.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-04-2014 04:25 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

I could never, personally, buy a bed, bedding, furniture from garage sales. That's just us though. Lots of people do buy used mattresses and furniture.
01-04-2014 05:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(01-04-2014 05:02 PM)me50 Wrote:  I could never, personally, buy a bed, bedding, furniture from garage sales. That's just us though. Lots of people do buy used mattresses and furniture.

I would never buy a used mattress. It's illegal for retailers to sell them. They can contain bed bugs.

These offers by retailers to return mattresses are just a marketing strategy. Returned mattresses are discarded, their cost is chalked up as part of the cost of doing business and passed on to the consumer. You are basically paying a little extra for mattress insurance.

I remember back in the 1980's a company called Curtis-Mathis claimed to have the best televisions available. They cost more because they were worth it, and to prove it they offered a four-year warranty.

A Zenith salesman explained to us that his TV was just as good or better at 75% of the price, and that if we wanted he could give us a 4-year warranty at a cost of the other 25%.

It's a marketing scheme.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-04-2014 06:12 PM