Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Need help in chosing a new bed
(01-04-2014 06:12 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 05:02 PM)me50 Wrote:  I could never, personally, buy a bed, bedding, furniture from garage sales. That's just us though. Lots of people do buy used mattresses and furniture.

I would never buy a used mattress. It's illegal for retailers to sell them. They can contain bed bugs.

These offers by retailers to return mattresses are just a marketing strategy. Returned mattresses are discarded, their cost is chalked up as part of the cost of doing business and passed on to the consumer. You are basically paying a little extra for mattress insurance.

I remember back in the 1980's a company called Curtis-Mathis claimed to have the best televisions available. They cost more because they were worth it, and to prove it they offered a four-year warranty.

A Zenith salesman explained to us that his TV was just as good or better at 75% of the price, and that if we wanted he could give us a 4-year warranty at a cost of the other 25%.

It's a marketing scheme.

hmmm.....I thought that retailers had the beds refurbished, i.e., replacing everything but the coils. learned something new today.
01-04-2014 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet - currently "set" on CPAP mode
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10 and P10 - varies
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8

Other Comments: New Sleep Doc + New DME = Trying new approach to PAP therapy.

Sex: Female

can you post a photo of the futon with the topper and the bed that works for you?
[/quote]

Sorry, I'm on "winter vacation" and can't send a photo until late next month. Google "custom cotton futon mattresses" and, possibly, you'll find a website that will make a 4" cotton futon mattress. I have two queen-sized, one full-sized and one twin-sized. Then I just topped them with the "memory foam" 4" toppers. Hope this helps.
01-04-2014 08:20 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask

Other Comments:

(01-04-2014 08:20 PM)MAPnea Wrote:  can you post a photo of the futon with the topper and the bed that works for you?

Sorry, I'm on "winter vacation" and can't send a photo until late next month. Google "custom cotton futon mattresses" and, possibly, you'll find a website that will make a 4" cotton futon mattress. I have two queen-sized, one full-sized and one twin-sized. Then I just topped them with the "memory foam" 4" toppers. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

thanks. I just couldn't picture it in my mind so thought a photo would help.

we are shopping for a king mattress and box springs since a friend of ours gave us a king size head and foot board.
01-04-2014 08:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

(01-04-2014 06:18 PM)me50 Wrote:  hmmm.....I thought that retailers had the beds refurbished, i.e., replacing everything but the coils. learned something new today.

It's quite possible that you're right and what you learned from me is wrong. Too-funny

Laws vary from state to state, so it could be that practices are different in different places.

I would think it would be cheaper and easier to just build a new one!

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-04-2014 10:41 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(01-04-2014 10:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 06:18 PM)me50 Wrote:  hmmm.....I thought that retailers had the beds refurbished, i.e., replacing everything but the coils. learned something new today.

It's quite possible that you're right and what you learned from me is wrong. Too-funny

Laws vary from state to state, so it could be that practices are different in different places.

I would think it would be cheaper and easier to just build a new one!

you would think. the coils probably aren't the most expensive part of making a mattress. and, what I said about refurbishing them.....I just thought that is what they did. never researched it. I only buy new beds or what is presented to be new beds. sometimes, if I am not sure, I ask to see the purchase invoice. if they are above board, they don't mind showing you. people do it at car dealerships but those dealerships have 2 invoices and they show you the higher priced one so you think you are getting a good deal from them....we learned how sneaky they can be, especially if they tell you they will get you financing through the bank to keep the customer from having to....they tack on a % of interest for themselves.....a lot of buyers don't know that. anyway, we were talking about beds and mattresses lol I digressed
01-04-2014 11:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
terp1984 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP 5 to 15, IPAP 10 to 35

Other Comments:

I had cronic back and neck pain for over 20 years until 10 years ago when I bought an adjustable bed with a Tempur-Pedic mattress. I was expensive but well worth it.
01-05-2014 08:51 AM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Another option for the retailers would be to donate the mattress to a homeless shelter or some such charity and write off the cost. Provided of course that local laws allow such practices.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-05-2014 05:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

My wife and I love our 7yr old Sleep Number bed. Main reason we got it is due to the fact that I want a softer bed, while she prefers a firmer bed, and with the sleep number you can have both. I believe you can still get a 30 night trial with free return if you don't like it.

The other one that interests me is the Tempur-Pedic mattress.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-08-2014 08:40 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(01-08-2014 08:40 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  My wife and I love our 7yr old Sleep Number bed. Main reason we got it is due to the fact that I want a softer bed, while she prefers a firmer bed, and with the sleep number you can have both. I believe you can still get a 30 night trial with free return if you don't like it.

30 day trial and return policy.....is that with a full refund?

Glad it is working for you. Buying a mattress is not an easy feat; there are so many things to consider....steal springs or not and how many springs, pillow top, memory foam and a lot more (at least the last time we bought a mattress).
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 08:44 PM by me50.)
01-08-2014 08:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Tampabaysailor Offline

Members

Machine: RemStar Auto with A-Flex (DS560TS))
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR 60 Series" Integrated Heated Humidifier with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 7 - 13

Other Comments:

(01-08-2014 08:40 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  My wife and I love our 7yr old Sleep Number bed. Main reason we got it is due to the fact that I want a softer bed, while she prefers a firmer bed, and with the sleep number you can have both. I believe you can still get a 30 night trial with free return if you don't like it.

We have had a Sleep Number bed for 10+ years. We went to a Sleep Number store, and signed up for email info. We got an offer to buy a returned mattress, with all new ticking for a great discount. We have added a 2" foam topper.
08-22-2014 08:19 PM