Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help interpreting SP02 report
RE: Need help interpreting SP02 report
Well just as an update I eventually had a real sleep study and was diagnosed with mild/moderate sleep apnea (AHI 9 overall and 23 during REM sleep). They also noted an abnormal sleep architecture with excessive deep sleep suggesting sleep deprivation. So take that primary care physician that didn't even want to do the test.

Anyway I've been on CPAP about three weeks now and it has radically changed the way I feel. Used to sleep around 10 hours a night, get up to pee all night, have a headache throughout the morning, be tired all day and need an afternoon nap, and have difficulty concentrating.

Three weeks into it and I'm averaging 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night. Wake up feeling good, concentration is noticeably improved. Depression and anxiety have improved as well. I've had this just sort of constant anxiety with me my whole life and overnight it's just gone. Crazy. Systolic blood pressure is down 10 points as well, though frustratingly I'm still slightly hypertensive.

I've played with the CPAP quite a bit and have settled on a pressure of 11, which gets me an AHI in the 1-2 range. If I lower it to 10 I seem to trade a couple central events for obstructive events. Since the obstructive events all seem to occur around the same time each night (towards the end of the sleep cycle where you would expect to see REM sleep), and the central apneas are random, I decided better to go with additional central events that are less likely to interrupt REM sleep.

Also no issues related to tolerating the CPAP (except for some pressure on my nose from the mask), though I'm considering consulting a maxillofacial doctor to see if I have an airway that could be significantly enlarged with surgery. To get such a brutal surgery though I'd want it to both have functional and cosmetic benefits, so if it can do both of those I might consider it.

Anyway, good to have my life back. If anyone is young, fit, thin, and doesn't snore, don't let your doctor tell you you can't have sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great update nolongertiredofbeingtired!

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 08:55 PM)PBriggs Wrote: I will try to post a link to " how medical equipment works" for pulse oximeter as that site has a good explanation of how these things work... howequipmentworks.com/pulse_oximeter/

Hi PBriggs, welcome to Apnea Board. Thanks for the helpful post.

For others, here is the full link to that informative website:
http://www.howequipmentworks.com/pulse_oximeter/

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 193 04-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Need help interpreting the data Hopey 2 109 04-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Hopey
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 146 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 104 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 198 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 644 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 201 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.