Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help on correct pressure for me
Need help on correct pressure for me
Hi. Very new to this forum, but glad I found it. I did a sleep study after feeling like hell for two years during the day. Found that my AHI is 43.7. I had a doctor friend of mine subscribe the Cpap however my insurance would not cover the study to determine the best pressure for me.

Question...with and AHI at 43 what is the best pressure I should start with and adjust from there if needed? I am currently at 8.5.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help on correct pressure for me
What are the details of the Sleep Study findings. For example: number of Obstructive Apneas/Hypopneas, indications of Central Apnea/Hypopnea. Better recommendations can be made with more information. In addition some of the best machines can pretty much "self titrate" to find the best settings. Give us some more information about your situation. And by the way, welcome to the Apnea Board.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
My
RDI is 47.27 358 events
AHI is 43.7 331 events
ODI is 29.57 224 events

The machine I am using now is a loaner for the next two weeks, so I am trying to get the right pressure for now. It is a Phillips Resperonics that is NOT auto adjusting. Seems like it is one of the older models.
Post Reply Post Reply
The severity of obstructive sleep apnea is measured with the AHI, but it has no correlation to the pressure needed to treat the condition. Instead, it's a function of your anatomy and can only be determined by trial.

Remove the water chamber and look at the bottom of the machine. Tell us the name and the model number.

If the machine is at least capable of reporting detailed data, that can be used to determine the required pressure, but it's not advisable to do it that way. There are other conditions besides obstructive sleep apnea that can affect CPAP therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is what I see....
REMstar Auto, DOM (so maybe it is auto adjust?)
560P
Post Reply Post Reply
Also. I did find that the cpap has an SD card.

I have not tried to read it as I am not sure what to look for?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bama7600,
WELCOME!, to the forum.!
I wish you much success with your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 08:24 PM)Bama7600 Wrote: Also. I did find that the cpap has an SD card.

I have not tried to read it as I am not sure what to look for?

Install the Sleepyhead software that can read the data on your card.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
You're in luck! That is the Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Auto CPAP and it is fully data capable. It also has an automatic function that can help you to self-titrate pressure. Two things you need to do. First, request the clinical manual for your machine. That will give you a lot of information, including how to access the pressure settings. Just follow this link and request the manual from the forum http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

The next step is to download free Sleepyhead software. Again, just follow the link at the top of this page and install it on your computer. Your machine should have a SD card slot in the rear of the blower. Check if there is a card, if not, just buy any standard card from 2-8 GB. This is going to give you and us all the information needed to help. Here is a tutorial on posting charts from Sleepyhead. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board And there are lots of articles on the forum to help you learn to interpret the data. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 07:22 PM)Bama7600 Wrote: Here is what I see....
REMstar Auto, DOM (so maybe it is auto adjust?)
560P

Yes. Please update your profile with the correct model of your machine.

Get into the clinician's menu and see what the pressure range is set to. The default is 4 to 20, what we call wide open. You can reset the machine to factory default, and format the SD card, assuming it won't cause any problems for the machine's owner. Sleep and then use SleepyHead software to review the data.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,640 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  CPAP Settings correct? nickng33 1 428 11-21-2023, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  CPAP isn't helping. Do I actually have SDB, and are my PAP settings correct? Sleeper44345 15 1,178 08-20-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: jwest
  Lumis 100 and correct software for reading a sleep data?? doognibor 3 641 08-08-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Dire
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.