Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help on cpap settings
RE: Need help on cpap settings
Far better than an old sleep study would be download OSCAR free at the top of this site.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
one obvious suspect that jumps out at me is periodic limb movement. it can trigger events, including rera. cpap won't help that and your respiratory response to plm may cause resmed machines to ineffectively and disturbingly raise pressure, hence, perhaps, your rera. you may want to seek treatment for plm if you haven't already. scroll through your flow rate graph looking for repeating (periodic) patterns. post some oscar charts.

edit: looking back through this thread I see only full night screenshots. a superficial look indicates fragmentation and flow limitations, typical of plm. scroll through your charts at a 7 to 10 minute view scale looking for those repetitive patterns.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=26621][attachment=26621]Thanks, i am trying to learn flow limits. I think i can see the flat tops, but in the three strips i have posted are these representative of arousals, palm, or just normal variation in breathing?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are talking about the flow limit graph, it shows the amount of time it was limited. take your mouse and highlight that area and you can see the amount of time that flow was limited for that event.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I was more interested in if it was possible to categorize the flow rate irregularities i posted as PLM , arousals, or just normal breathing variations? Following a lot of post ,trying to learn. Tired of waking up every 2 hours or less. Thanks for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
generally, flat, jagged or sloping peaks of inhalation curves indicate flow limitations. lower than usual volume above the line may as well, particularly in the absence of leaks.

I don't see what I recognize as plm in any of those shots. idk if everyone presents as I do though. at bottom of the events tab you can move the view scale slider to 10 minutes. scroll through several nights, particularly those when you think you might have had rls or plm, lots of arousals & fragmented sessions. repetitive patterns should be visible if they're there. search my username &/or periodic limb movement to find screenshots of what mine look like. I posted some pics & a description recently in Bobaloo's thread currently half way down on the 1st page of the main forum. re waking up a lot, look at the last 2 minutes or so of each session using a closer view, like 2 minutes, to look for oddities that may hint at what's waking you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your flow limitations are possibly positional from chin-tucking. They are high when they occur, but not consistently present. Since the transitions to flow limited breathing is abrupt, and severe, this is most likely physical occlusion. Some people show clusters of obstructive apnea, but your version is clusters of FL.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
        Slept better last couple nights. I still woke up multiple times , but less than usual. I am going to try mouth taping. Also will get cervical collar. Not sure where mask leaks are coming from, I suspect mouth leaks, although when i wake up my lips are usually stuck shut. I will have to experiment. Thanks for help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm far from an expert, so take this with that in mind.  I don't see a lot of mouth breathing, although some of the largest are.  When I see my mouth breathing it is a very noticeable flat top that runs for minutes not seconds.  Most of yours are spikes.  I would think that is coming when you move and break the seal.  And I also notice the pressure chart in  both nights are blank, no line at all... I wonder why?  

I think I would work on the seal as you lie in bed and move around.  If you are just seeing if the seal is good when you are sitting on the bed - that does not work well.  You need to lie down and roll over, see what is causing the leaking.  2 major ones is the hose is caught and pulls the mask (you can get a mask that has a top hose connection or a system to hold the hose above the bed) or you dislodge it on a pillow when you go to your side.  There are pillows made for cpap users.

I am still trying to stop leaks also so you are not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW the pressure does show in the charts. It is the red line at the top sitting at 12. Since this is straight CPAP pressure, the line doesn't move and the pressure graph's top is 12 also, which tends to hide it a bit.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 223 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 259 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 932 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 471 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.