Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help please! High events per hour
RE: Need help please! High events per hour
I know the Apnea battles are difficult. That most recent chart didn't look as good as the last one. Unfortunately we get bad nights even if things are working well with apnea therapy, worsened by unexpected leaks. Just chalk it up, it'll happen. Part of the apnea battle is to minimize those "bad" nights. We cannot eliminate them but beat them into submission where they don't show up often. See what OSCAR data reveals for your next sleep session, let's see what trends. Keep at it, you're about to build smaller one night successes to bigger weekly ones.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are getting closer to a solution. The soft cervical collar works well for you, but you may have to try several different styles or sized before you find the one that is comfortable and prevents your chin from tucking under. It is not unusual for it to take a week to fully adapt. I'm sure you read the soft cervical collar wiki linked in my signature and Fred's, but your response was very good. At this point you are down to optimizing the mask fit, avoiding mouth leaks and getting the collar optimized. Well done!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone! Thank you to Hydrangea, Sarcastic Dave and Sleeprider for responding to my request for help. It's comforting to know that I do not have to undertake my CPAP therapy journey on my own. I would undoubtedly not be able to obtain this level of assistance from my sleep doctor. 

I had another not-so-great night - my numbers are a little up again. I used my P10 mask and this time used micropore tape on my mouth to avoid mouth breathing. In summary, I did not sleep well at all - I was awake very often during the night aware of my breathing, frequently taking deep breaths and on a few occasions, I was woken up struggling to breathe while I was apparently breathing through my mouth, despite the tape. I did use a Futuro cervical collar which supposedly is made by 3M and sold at CVS. 

Could I request one of the experts on the Forum to please look at my OSCAR charts and comment on what seems to be going on with my sleep during the night and what could I do immediately to reduce my numbers? Use a different mask? Adjust my settings further? Should I be using this in fixed CPAP mode or auto CPAP mode. Other?

Thank you very much again -I really do appreciate your help with this!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Arnold, have you tried Somnifix? I use it to keep my lips from parting, and it works very well, I find. You might also take a look on line at the Dr. Dakota collar. It is somewhat stiffer than a soft cervical collar, and it has a strap in the back, so it is sort of a half-collar. If you try it and have trouble with the velcro in back, let me know and I can suggest a simple hack for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use somnifix when I was using the P30i. It’s worked fantastic and was not painful at all taking it off in the morning. My only issue was I can’t say a single word to my girlfriend when she would need to ask me something important which led me to delay putting on my mask cause I need a mirror to put it on as straight and even as possible. So I’d get up and by the time I got back into bed I was no longer falling asleep. So I went back to my F30. Which I find to be an excellent comprise because I have a clear field of view with it. 

I also went back to my F30 because my indoor allergies with forced air congest me whether I take allergy meds or not, even with a huge hepa filter and ultraviolet to kill anything in the air . That bummed me out since I loved the ease of putting it on and taking it off in the dark with little to no messing around.

Just a couple of my experiences that might help you make a decision
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 11:15 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Arnold, have you tried Somnifix?  I use it to keep my lips from parting, and it works very well, I find.  You might also take a look on line at the Dr. Dakota collar.  It is somewhat stiffer than a soft cervical collar, and it has a strap in the back, so it is sort of a half-collar.  If you try it and have trouble with the velcro in back, let me know and I can suggest a simple hack for that.

Dormeo, thank you for suggesting Somnifix. I was getting ready to order a packet a few weeks ago, but when I read the Amazon reviews on it, people were complaining about how expensive it is. So I decided to try 3M Micropore tape, which is a lot less expensive, but also uncomfortable to pull it off the lips and mouth in the morning. But yes, I am going to order Somnifix today. I read somewhere that you can use a Somnifix strip several times, instead of using a new one every night as the manufacturer suggests. Have you found that you can use a Somnifix strip several times? If so, it would certainly make it more affordable!

Thank you also for your input about the Dr. Dakota collar. I plan to order one immediately. I'll get back to you for a fix if the velcro at the back is an issue. 

Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Osiris, you've certainly provided some food for thought. You seem to have tried the P30 nasal pillows mask and also the F30 full face mask, and eventually settled on the F30. Both are masks that I would like to own so that I try them as well. I sometimes use Airfit F20, but I do prefer the lightweight feeling of the P10.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Arnold111,

Unfortunately I'm not the experts you're hoping for. However, my take is this: I wouldn't go to machine adjustments again, at least not now.

I think as mentioned, it's the painful experience of finding the right mask and collar, and then the right adjustments for both of these. I think if you can get a homerun with those, you're going to be noticeably much better off for it in therapy and feeling better for it.

Best wishes for success and happy Thanksgiving.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You’re welcome Arnold111. Both are very comfortable after your skin gets used to the contact points. My doctor wrote me a script for cpap supplies that last a lifetime (didn’t know that was even possible) so I can try a mask out before having him send it to my DME. It’s come in very handy so far.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
About Somnifix. Yes, it is pricey. In the end, I realized I'd rather scrimp on something else and get what I need to make apnea therapy work for me. But everyone's budget is different.

I've never tried using a strip of Somnifix two nights in a row, but I have fairly often needed to free my bottom lip during the night so I can cough. When I'm done coughing, I run my fingers over my lips to make sure they aren't wet, purse them, and then stick the strip back down on my bottom lip. I've even done this twice in one night with OK results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daytime events huge spike liz0859 4 92 10 hours ago
Last Post: liz0859
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 347 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  [Symptoms] Worried about sudden spike in CA events rohit261990 8 232 04-22-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: rohit261990
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 99 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 112 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,470 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 367 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.