Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help repairing Cpap machine
Need help repairing Cpap machine
Alright, ignoring the obvious new member thing on my part I need y'alls help please. I've been sleeping with a Cpap machine now for just over 5 years, no issues and I sleep like a dead man with my machine. My machine is a Phillips Respironics 450p with the 2.xx designation on the underside label, I use a 6' long 22mm hose with a ResMed Mirage FX mask that has the quick disconnect.

About two and a half weeks ago I woke up one morning and accidentally pulled my machine off the night stand next to my bed. Now i've done this by accident a few times before and the machine has always seemed rather resilient, that is until now. When I picked it back up and put it on the night stand the motor was making a god awful noise, all of a sudden it had this odd almost burning plastic smell, the air pressure had dropped down like I had pressed the ramp button, and when I would exhale the counter pressure would make the motor stop and the machine would seem to reboot. In a rush I went online and found a site that sold various used and refurbished medical supplies. I found a seller that was selling what they claimed to be refurbished 450p machines for a really good price IMO. Finding this and realizing it would be cheaper and a lot quicker than sending my existing machine off for repairs I bought one. That new/refurbished machine arrived 4 days after I ordered it and is now my go to, but it's obviously older than my broken machine, it doesn't have all the setting options, and it has this smell when I use it that reminds me of my grandmas house(not good).

Since it's not an immediate necessity anymore i've been taking my time, researching parts and various Respironics models, and trying to find the proper part to repair my other machine. I've come to the overall conclusion the motor of my other machine was damaged when it fell that last time so i've been looking for a replacement. Thankfully Phillips made their 50 series Cpaps amazingly easy to open up and take apart so the work is mind numbingly easy. Now i've found one and only one web site that sells repair parts and they have two different blower motors for the Respironics 50 series, but they way they label them it seems the motor they say my machine uses won't work and the one that looks like it will is said to not work for my machine. The whole thing has me scratching my head in confusion.

The first of the two motors is said to be for machines built before 11/15/2010, machines without the 2.xx designation, with all black motors, and this motor also has 2 plugs on it, a 3 wire control harness and a 2 wire thermistor harness. The second motor of course is supposedly for machines built after 11/15/2010, for 50 series machines with the 2.xx designation, 60 series machines with a 3.xx, the motor has a blue and black housing, and it only has the 3 wire control harness. By all accounts from what this site says the second motor is what my machine should have, but mine seems to have a hybrid of the two motors. My machine has the 2.xx designation, it has a blue and black housing on the blower motor, and it most certainly has both the control and thermistor wires. For all accounts the first all black motor looks and seems like the one I need, but the age of my machine is wrong, the motor doesn't look like it should, and I just don't want to waste my money on something that won't work.

So after explaining all that what do y'all think? Should I go out on a limb and try the first all black motor, junk the machine, or maybe someone here can point me to the correct motor.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help repairing Cpap machine
First of all, a brand new Dreamstation Auto can be had for $360 on Amazon, so don't get too carried away with trying to keep 10 year old machines running. Usually, a faulty machine will display an error code or beep code.

The system one 50 series has a manufacturing defect where the circuit board is not properly attached. Take a look at this post, and if that is not your problem the thread preceding it might help. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid203661
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2017, 07:13 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: First of all, a brand new Dreamstation Auto can be had for $360 on Amazon, so don't get too carried away with trying to keep 10 year old machines running.  Usually, a faulty machine will display an error code or beep code.

The system one 50 series has a manufacturing defect where the circuit board is not properly attached.  Take a look at this post, and if that is not your problem the thread preceding it might help.

All in all with the cost of the used machine I bought and repairing my old one i'm going to invest less than the cost of the Dreamstation you mentioned, that and after purchasing the refurbished machine and repairing my old one i'm looking to end up with a primary and a backup just in case something happens again.(if I can find the right motor to repair the old one)

There's been no error massages or anything on the display of the damaged machine. As I said previously, and i'm doubting you read it, i'm pretty sure the blower motor is the issue. The low pressure like it's in a constant state of ramp, the unpleasant plastic smell, the noise it's making when it's running, and the motor stalling when I exhale all seem to point to a damaged blower motor. I will say thanks for the heads up on the circuit board, i've already looked at mine and i've found a couple of left over screws in my miscellaneous fastener collection that i've used to firmly anchor the circuit board on my damaged machine so that won't ever become an issue
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi plague,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and reparing your machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish6Hundred,

For anyone reading this thread i've figured out what to do here. I decided to do a full inspection of the refurbished machine I bought and it seems it had the older all black blower motor. So just out of pure curiosity I tore the refurbished machine down and swapped the blower motor into the newer machine that i've been looking to repair. Despite the newer machine having the newer blue and black housing on the motor the older all black motor from the refurbished machine swapped right into it and plugged right in and works perfectly. Just to test this I installed the blue and black blower motor into the refurbished Cpap machine and exactly as I expected by swapping the motors the problem moved from the original machine I had to the refurbished machine confirming that the motor is the problem and not the circuit board or anything else.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an S9 and would like to replace the motor (encased in a clear plastic ball,) and the foam padding inside.   I cannot find the parts anywhere... and would rather do it myself.   In the past, no one would even begin to give me an estimate of how much that would cost to fix it.    Anyone have any ideas?   Used parts are OUT of the question.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2017, 01:52 AM)kyork Wrote: I have an S9 and would like to replace the motor (encased in a clear plastic ball,) and the foam padding inside.   I cannot find the parts anywhere... and would rather do it myself.   In the past, no one would even begin to give me an estimate of how much that would cost to fix it.    Anyone have any ideas?   Used parts are OUT of the question.

I am also looking for the motor blower for an Resmed S9 Autoset. The only one I could find was a used one on ebay for $100. A couple of days ago I dropped my machine then afterwards an error message stated the motor had a fault. I could hear it making a noise. I cannot recall where but on some cpap forum there were people repairing machines at reasonable prices. I just purchased a new unit for $800 because I have no backup. Then I found a used machine for $170 which I purchased in case I have a problem in the future. I have not been able to find a single source for new blower motors in after looking on the internet for several days. Are there members of the apneaboard who offer repair services or parts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed don't sell spare parts of their machines. They are the only ones that can repair them, at whatever cost they decide.

Changing the fan and motor on an S9 machine is quite easy, just takes a few screws to be removed, and a cable to disconnect. However, you won't find the part, unless you buy a full used machine, and take the part yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I'm not sure Resmed does repairs, but there are authorized repair facilities. Supplier #27 and Supplier #28 both will provide estimates for repairs. A motor is much less expensive than unknown electronic or main-board problems. Whether an older machine can be economically repaired depends on what you can acquire a new or used machine for.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 300 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,726 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,291 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.