Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What would be a seriously long apnea event ?
What would be a seriously long apnea event ?
So I caught a cold (no, not covid) and as a result had one night of phlegmy living (apologies to anyone reading while eating breakfast..). 
Usually I have somewhere between 0 and 5 OAs, but last night I had 33.
Im looking thru the events and noticed a handful in the 40-55 second range.
Obviously, an 11 second long apnea isn't as bad for you as a 55 second one.
How come apneas are not graded , or maybe combined into an index of some sort ?

Anyone else ever note any seriously long apneas ?

ps - I had thought of a 'contest' of sorts for Longest Apnea, but I guess the winner would get a granite slab with their name on it.. so lets not go there. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What would be a seriously long apnea event ?
Some of that is indicated via OSCAR's total time in apnea statistic. And as those of us who use pulse oximeters can attest, those long apneas will cause dramatic desaturations, while a series of short apneas with recovery breathing in between doesn't cause the same sort of problem.

But also it's important to keep in mind that sleep apnea is not usually something that kills you through oxygen deprivation -- what kills you is sleep deprivation and continuously being awakened.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose a 90 second Apnea like I had on my 2017 BPAP Titration would be considered long.

Maybe I was dreaming of underwater swimming. Cue the Jaws theme.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The last Apnea you ever have ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The image below can be my entry for your morbid Smile  contest if you have one. Thankfully my OA was fixable. I'd bet someone would soon show much worse from from off a slab. 

What you see is not the worst in regard to total time in apnea, TTIA, for a night. It is a spread with my longest apnea pair, 155 seconds (my greatest OA density for a 2+ minute period) interrupted only by a cardioballistic-like wave. The 155 here and elsewhere had lots of lengthy neighbors, numerous ones over 100, up to 120.

The graphic attests to my then-total ignorance and to poor MD guidance, as an apneic himself, after his Rx-ing the best machine for me (IMO).

You can see why I was frantic my fourth CPAP night with troubled ignorance, FFM leaks (that noisy thing, so many other nights on my face)  and a machine set to 7 cm H20 on CPAP.  Hoping this was not normal therapy nor my future, I began looking for help from MD, DME and online. 

My "Call for Excel VBA help ..." thread in the Software Forum has as its main work image one from November 2015 that shows OA nearly eliminated, but with lots of remaining FL. It shows the effect of sleep positions on FL-flag indications of breathing flow limitations before I added a cervical collar to my sleep armory. Much improvement followed, thanks to AB guidance one way or another

My simple OSA as above was soon tamed by the Autoset and its titration advice here at AB--some from merely lurking here, one or more times by direct posts.

I eventually got SleepyHead,  thanks to ApeaBoard, and was able to look back amazed at such things. I-love-CPAP ---Gotta! I-love-Apnea-Board

The LORD has given me just over 6 more years and much more unearned favor--some not enjoyed at all at the time. But I am not on that slab yet. 

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Neurologist told me that my longest was almost 3 minutes. Not sure if i break a record here though Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
This is toooo funny....granite slab....lolol!
Post Reply Post Reply
My max was 104 sec
Post Reply Post Reply
They are “graded” see my signature for the difference between O, H and flow limits.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
"Apnea–Hypopnea Event Duration Predicts Mortality in Men and Women in the Sleep Heart Health Study"......The AHI did not.....  so keep you CPAP Mask on and your event duration low.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.