Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help with CPAP pressure
Need help with CPAP pressure
Hi,

Thanks for the help with CPAP in past.

I am still struggling with CPAP therapy after 3 years.

Currently, I am able to getg low AHI but I still wake up 10-15 times all night. FYI, I have very light sleep and CPAP does disturb it

I have also noticed my skin has become sensitive to cold and is tender during the day whenever I use the CPAP.

Lately, I was looking at other images posted here of pressure charts and the pressure is more uniform as compared to mine. (please see attached chart)

Can anyone explain why my pressure graphs has so many spikes? Why is it not smooth? Like stay at 9 then slowly decrease instead of falling back to 8 quickly.

Is there a setting to control it?

Thanks,
Ravi

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help with CPAP pressure
The dreamstation is slow to address apnea. I would move the bottom pressure to 9 the top to 12 and see what it looks like. It should smooth out your therapy.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics algorithm uses a “hunt and peck” search pattern (in auto mode only) by raising the pressure approximately 1.5cm to see if there is a need to raise pressure.  This looks much like a saw tooth pattern.

This up and down of the pressure isn't normally something that would be felt or noticed unless you are looking at the wave form, but some folk report that this "hunt and peck" feature disrupts their sleep.  That could be in your case.  

If you feel you notice it, or it disrupts your sleep, you can switch to Cpap mode, or you can still use Apap mode and keep the minimum and maximum pressure the same. Raising the min pressure is a good idea, but try your 95% pressure reading. I don't know what that is since you chopped it off in your statistics, but an example is
minimum 10 - maximum 10 (Apap mode). This would eliminate that hunt and peck feature.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2021, 04:01 PM)staceyburke Wrote: The dreamstation is slow to address apnea. I would move the bottom pressure to 9 the top to 12 and see what it looks like. It should smooth out your therapy.
staceyburke, thank you for your suggestions. I wanted to also mention that recently I have been also suffering from aerophagia, so increasing pressure is not gong to work for me.

Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2021, 05:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Respironics algorithm uses a “hunt and peck” search pattern (in auto mode only) by raising the pressure approximately 1.5cm to see if there is a need to raise pressure.  This looks much like a saw tooth pattern.

This up and down of the pressure isn't normally something that would be felt or noticed unless you are looking at the wave form, but some folk report that this "hunt and peck" feature disrupts their sleep.  That could be in your case.  

If you feel you notice it, or it disrupts your sleep, you can switch to Cpap mode, or you can still use Apap mode and keep the minimum and maximum pressure the same.  Raising the min pressure is a good idea, but try your 95% pressure reading.  I don't know what that is since you chopped it off in your statistics, but an example is
minimum 10 - maximum 10 (Apap mode).  This would eliminate that hunt and peck feature.

OpalRose, that makes more sense to me. I am going to try changing the pressure to 9 CPAP (90% pressure) mode tonight and see. Thank you for your help. This board has helped me a lot with my therapy in past.
Post Reply Post Reply
ravik,
If you still experience Aerophagia with a pressure change of 9cm, try lowering it to 8.5cm. You can play around with this until Aerophagia stops. You'll have to find that "sweet spot" that helps you sleep, treats apnea and lessens the Aerophagia.

But most folk who suffer this will resort to a lower pressure in Cpap mode or Apap mode with the same pressure, in your case, 9-9.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2021, 06:31 PM)OpalRose Wrote: ravik,
If you still experience Aerophagia with a pressure change of 9cm, try lowering it to 8.5cm.  You can play around with this until Aerophagia stops.  You'll have to find that "sweet spot"  that helps you sleep, treats apnea and lessens the Aerophagia.  

But most folk who suffer this will resort to a lower pressure in Cpap mode or Apap mode with the same pressure, in your case, 9-9.

OpalRose, thank you for your suggestions, I will try and report in few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I have used 8.5 pressure for last few days. My sleep has not improved much. Today is really bad.

It looks like I am swallowing lots of air as I feel tight stomach and bloated tummy tight all day.

Any help to avoid this aerophagia will be great. 

I notice that I swallow more air when I sleep on right size than left side sleep position.

I really do not know what to do. Reducing pressure increases my AHI and can't sleep well.

BTW, I did not have aerophagia from start of CPAP for 2-3 years. I noticed it in mid 2020.

Thanks,
Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems even with using a full face mask, your mouth may he dropping open while you are sleeping and you could be swallowing air.

Are you aware of this? Are you waking up with a dry mouth?  Just trying to eliminate some possible causes for the aerophagia.  

Using a lower pressure plus EPR (in your case, use Afex set at 2) until you find the aerophagia lessening and still keeping your AHI at a reasonable number.

Others here have been able to conquer this and hope they will chime in.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2021, 10:15 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It seems even with using a full face mask, your mouth may he dropping open while you are sleeping and you could be swallowing air.

Are you aware of this? Are you waking up with a dry mouth?  Just trying to eliminate some possible causes for the aerophagia.  

Using a lower pressure plus EPR (in your case, use Afex set at 2) until you find the aerophagia lessening and still keeping your AHI at a reasonable number.

Others here have been able to conquer this and hope they will chime in.
OpalRose, yes, I am using F22 full face mask as I breath from mouth during sleep.

I can try EPR (aFlex of 2). In past this (aFlex) has caused my sleep disturbances but will give it a try again. I stopped using CPAP from last night due to too much bloating and very uncomfortable feeling in belly. 

BTW, I have tried using mouth guard for sleep apnea instead of CPAP with some success but not 100% in past. 

Now I am getting very worried about my sleep apnea treatment. Not sure what else I can try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 317 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 157 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 269 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 320 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 512 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 205 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 438 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.